The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I rand out of organic feed. I can't meet my feed guy for 4 more days. So I bought a goat chow. My goats won't eat it. I went from morning breakfast calls from the goats to no sound. Which that part is nice but she's not calling out for the feed. Anyone every had a problem with Purina goat chow? My doe is feeding her 2 kids is this going to affect her poorly? She looks thin today it's been 2 days on this feed.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
My goats didn't like it either.
But I didn't want to waste a whole bag of it. They like the Caprine Challenger so I will mix that with BOSS and Alfalfa until it's gone. They eat it as long as that's not all they're eating.

Can you mix it with anything? Supplement with Alfalfa, beet pulp, kelp, BOSS? Anything else that might get her to eat some?

I'm still too new to goats to know if it will negatively affect her if she's off of grain for a week. But I would think if she's eating hay or grass that she wouldn't be too bad off. Hopefully someone else will chime in here on that.

·
Super Moderator
59,800 Posts
The problem is that it is different. Goats usually don't like something new. Can you buy whole grains somewhere or just get some alfalfa pellets till you can get your regular grain?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Our goats get Showmaster S series show goat, our feed store ran out all they had was Purina Goat Chow. Our goats REFUSED to eat it, flat out wouldn't touch the stuff. We got our regular stuff back in and mixed it so the Purina wouldn't go to waste...they picked through it.

Fortunately Purina has a satisfaction guarantee you can take it back to the dealer your bought for a replacement or full refund.

·
Registered
31,517 Posts
Be very careful switching feed to rapidly...rumen upset can be dangerous.

I think I would just keep hay in front of her at all times and wait for the feed to come in..offer alfalfa pellets in the mean time if need be..

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Anyone every had a problem with Purina goat chow?
Yeah, I have a problem with most Purina goat feeds/products. Either the salt content is way too high, my girls won't eat it, formulation is not as good as other feeds, or they are cost prohibitive.

·
I'm watching you
22,567 Posts
Yep, I have a problem with them as well. They treat their employees badly, fire the ones with the most years to save money, and a few years ago an employee fell to his death doing a job on the storage silos, with no partner and no safety line. It was 5 hours before they noticed he was missing...

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
My guys started off with Purina and they love it , lol
I also like State Farms Pellets and Sweet feeds. Its here I learned what brands are better nutritionally .
These brands that arent normally sold at my feed place. So I will have to make a special order for them. I dont mind , I will order a few bags at a time so it will make it worth the little extra it will cost. Getting the best feed is so totally worth the trouble , IMO.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Totally agree with Karen and Cathy. I won't feed Purina to any animal I have. Not sure about goat feed, but their horse feed caused anhydrosis in an otherwise healthy pregnant Belgian mare. She almost died before I realized what was going on. Off that feed and still dealing with the problem they caused. Definitely try more natural whole grains from your local grain mill. Especially if they are used to organic diet this change could be easy to shocking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts