Rant about breeder/fair

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Aug 21, 2008.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Ok...I've been going to Westmoreland County fair every year for the last 10 years and well, I have a serious gripe about SNOTTY goat breeders!! One in particular that breeds Toggenbergs , Nubians and LaMancha's ...it is very disgusting the way she is just totally snotty about answering any questions on her goats and of course...she is the ONLY breeder there that has numerous ribbons ....it's like I'm taking her valuable time of sitting in her chair and acting just snotty, that my questions about production and confirmation are not important, treated me like she had no time for my "chatter"....and she was just sitting there!! My niece was overly concerned with one of this ladies LaMancha doelings having her head stuck in the fencing...and she was stuck..this woman basically didn't care and snipped at my 7 year old niece for touching her goat!

I mention that I have Nigi's and her retort was that if I wanted to know about "production" then I should have "real" goats! I am so disgusted and royally PO'd that someone like that is even tolerated with the fair board. :angry:

btw...I looked through the entire barn and was amazed at how many boer kids there were...these were some really nice and solid goats..there were 2 nigis and 3 pygmies...the nigis were registered, but they were short in body and looked "pygmy"...4H projects for youngsters but a shame that these kids have no one in the area to teach them about the true confirmation f ND....and I live in a different county that has no 4H so I wouldn't know where to start as far as even getting these kids going in the right direction...not that I'm expert as I'm still learning but seeing the wonderful ND breeders here...and even my own 2 .....there is a DEFINATE DIFFERENCE in ND and Pygmy.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Liz from what I hear you have to call your county extesion office and they will get you started. If it is something you want to do then do it! You only need 5 kids to start a group.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh gosh Liz....We have that same snotty, know it all, my goats are the best, kinda person. She drives me NUTS!!! I was seriously so po'd at her. She has nigis and thinks they all are just the best creatures on the whole fair grounds and she'll look at your goats and kinda snicker or have a disgusted look on her face.

Everyone in the barn absolutely hates her. The barn manager...Nellie :D and I were talking and are good buddies now and I guess Nellie had to kick her out laast year because she was being so mean to her goats and the people and just being aweful about everything. All she's concerned about is winning a couple ribbons.

And she let the neighbor kids show her nigis. (the only reason the kids showed was so they'd get free passes!!!) But anyway, she yelled at them and said they were so stupid and blah blah blah. It was really mean! And these are NEIGHBOR KIDS!!! The whole barn was pretty much quiet and staring at her and you just listened to her yelling and swearing :roll: uhhggg!

Anywho,,,she is just a really aweful person and must have a terrible life to act that way. I'll be sure not to pick stalls next to her next year that's for sure!! :D

4. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    there's one in ever barrel... :cry:

this was our first fair and we kept asking and asking for a tack stall
    we were given excuse upon excuse why we couldn't and then watched them fill up with other ppls tack
    then there was one HUGE stall left and we were told they were putting the chickens in there
    well some lady started putting her tack inthere and my hubby went thru the ceiling - but politely
    so we shared that tack stall with the other ppl
    the gram and gramp were really nice ppl and by the end of fair we became good friends
    the daughter and grans were nasty ppl (the gram and gramps did all the work for the goats)
    the kids would set their chairs up in the tack stall and then refused to move when i needed to get to my stuff - their mother just walked around the barn looking po'd at the world and never spoke to anyone but to yell at her daughter

5. farmgirls

farmgirls New Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Just thought I would note here, ND are a dairy breed while Pygmys are a meat breed. ND should look quite "dairy" and pygmys are a stockier type animal.

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Man, that must have been so frustrating! Normally goat breeders are not like that! Horse people, that's a different story. I don't think I've ever met a really nice, genuinely friendly horse person. . . . yet. You never know, might meet one soon. :wink:

Well, I can't imagine she gets a whole lot of people really buying her goats with a nasty attitude like that.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I know this, the classification is as different as the confirmation of each breed...I just noticed that the ONLY 2 registered nigerians there looked alot like a pygmy...they were short in length and wide....which is why I had mentioned about the 4-h kid showing them...there's not much done with nigi's in the area and people figure that since they are registered that the goat is "right" for the breed.

I do know that this "snotty" breeder has numerous goats sold out of her herd...nice animals but the attitude she has that "her goats are the ONLY goats", well, it really sucks and if I ever had the want to or opportunity to buy a larger dairy goat...she would be last on my list!

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    there are some nigerian people like that.. no names but i cannot stand the woman!! she is a B###H

9. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I have met some people who are short with me at shows. But I always think "I have no idea what is going on in their life" you know? It could be a horrible time they are going through and they just don't feel "chaty". Some people are like that, not matter what but I just leave them to their selve's and don't fret about it. There are people like that in life, unfortunatly.

Sorry you guys have to deal with them!

10. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Thats really to bad. How does she sell goats? But more than that I feel for those poor human kids.
    We had a store manager like that once...I never said anything to anybody but a friend and I have parrots. The woman looked down her nose everytime you went in like you are suppose to know everything. My freind called the place "We Know it All Birds"
    Anyway I watched my Boer breeder talk to people at the fair. I was so amazed at how kind and patient she was..answering the same sometimes uninformed questions by people walking thru the barns.
    "No she's not pregnant she's just a big girl."
    There are signs up "DO NOT TOUCH ANIMALS" Sometimes little kids would want to pet a goats.
    Some of the parents pointed to the sign and you could tell they were anal about letting their kids touch one. (why are you coming thru the barns then?)
    It was fun when the child asked if they could pet a goat. If the parent hesitated I would say "These here are my goats and you can pet them".
    Then there was the time some dingheads with little dogs came thru the goat barn like it was their God given right...I wanted to take them down; all the goats were freaking out. Next time Iwill say something!!

11. Candy

Candy New Member

I happen to have Nigerian Dwarf goats--3 does--none are registered. I sold 2 whethers to
    4-H kids. I would NOT have allowed the 4-H kids to have them if I did not feel that they (the whethers) represented what the Nigi is. The size--the shape and general appearence--it means a lot to me to be the 'starter' to their (the 4-Her's) Nigi education. Since there are more Pygmys shown in 4-H, I felt that it was important for them to know the difference. Since my goats are not registered, I think it is VERY important that I try to get as close to breed standards as I can for the 4-H and others.

Because of my health, I am unable to be active in the 4-H. (and a lot of other things) This is MY way of supporting something that I think is a good thing for our young people. I would hope that ALL Nigerian Dwarf breeders would take pride in being part of the educational process of each other. We all learn and sharing what we learn is a wonderful and uplifting experience.

My experiences with other goat owners have all been positive. :love: If it wasn't, I would have told they so and why! I would hate to go to my grave and not do my part in pointing out to NASTY people, the error of their ways :ROFL:

Next year, Liz, drop a berry in her coffee cup!! But, in the mean time, pray for her--she needs it.
    Candy

12. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    We have those...."when is she due?" people that come through. I think probably 5 people each day would ask me that! Of course I didn't get mad, but I mean come on now....they really weren't that big! I think it's amazing to see how little some people know about animals. Have you seen the people who use like 10 squirts of the hand sanitizer (sp) :ROFL: Boy those things just don't squirt out enough I guess! Or the parents that walk in with their sweatshirt over their face.... :ROFL: Most the people in our goat barn at the fair are so funny, we all joke around and have such a good time watching those kinda people! There was a girl there that I got to know pretty good and she was so tired from all the showing and what not she grabbed a blanket and took a nap in the straw with her boer buckling. I thought it was so sweet! But some of the people walking by thought it was gross laying in all that FRESH CLEAN STRAW!!! :roll: I love the fair though!

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yep , fairs are lots of fun!!!!, and its just a fact of life that not every one is as kind, or generous. But i do agree with what muddy creek said ' that they might not be having a good day' i have my off days, unless they always act like tht, its thier personality or theyre always having bad days.

14. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I see this two ways. One from your perspective and one from the shower's perspective. I've been to some fairs to show and it can get really old fast having people constantly asking you questions and when you're trying to get a goat out of the pen to get to the ring and someone is almost nagging you with questions and doesn't seem to understand they're in the way. It can get old after you've done it several times.

As a matter of fact it tends to burn me out of fair shows altogether. I don't like the fairs because of the crowding and hands in every pen.

But then again its so cool to go to a show and see all the breeds represented and talk to some exhibitors. I've learned some stuff from some this way. But a lot of the "talk" I do is when I'm there as an exhibitor. When I'm there browsing I don't tend to bother the showers. If I see something I want to know about I find out the name of their farm and email them later or call.

15. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Very true Ashley, when I am at fairs and the people crowd around our pen I'm sure I seem rude, but in reality I am just trying to make it to a class I am already late for =P I really do not prefer fairs... But they pay money haha!

16. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    i'm very happy to show off my goats and to help educate ppl
    there was a lady walking by my house with her grans and i saw them stop and point at the goats so i walked over and invited them back to the pasture and brought one of the babies out so the grans could pet without being afraid of a larger goat
    i spent a lot of time at the fair talkin to ppl and answering questions
    even about goats that weren't mine
    i have mini nubs and there was a HUGE standard nub doe across the walkway so there were tons of questions about the diff and was that other doe bred (4 year old dry stand nub doe - HUGE - didn't think bred but even the owner wasnt sure)
    i want ppl to know that goats and animals in general have feelings and need care and attention and that they love like dogs love humans and that they like scratches, etc etc etc
    i dont want them to think that goats eat everything including tin cans (my pet peeve)
    (one person thought they could buy one goat - tie it to a stake in the ground and move the stake every day or so and they would never have to mow again :veryangry: :veryangry: and never have to feed the goat)
    i sold 3 of my goats at the fair - 1 went to a 4h girl that will be showing her next year and 2 went to an elderly couple that have a little hobby farm
    i am now friends with the couple and she made me some wonderful goats milk fudge
    but - this was my first fair and i'm not burnt out yet - but knowledge is the best weapon

17. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    i think if you are going to be burnt out at the fair you shouldnt go. The reason for the fair is not only to show but to show off the to public and educate them. If you cant do that then you shouldnt be there.

Yah if someone stopped me while I was putting a goat away or taking it out to be shown I wouldnt have time to talk. But most people realize when a show is going on and just stand and watch. It is after the show and durig that lazy time between shows that people come up and ask questions. We should be willing to talk to them and answer their questions, that is what we are there for.

18. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    During the fair...I pretty much live there for the entire week. Only coming home to shower and sleep! LOL! I love the fair, but not the people....the stupid ones anyway. I don't mind answering questions, I actually like to. I have to say though...one of the oldest questions is "Why do some people crop their goats ears and others don't?" It doesn't help that my club is mainly LaMancha people and I'm beside them, but I can sit there for a couple hours and get asked a half a dozen times. Now the stupid people..well that's when it comes to feeding food from someone elses pen to one of my goats. And when you ask them to stop they get mad. Or the people who pour beer on some hay and feed it to the goats and think it's just so funny. :veryangry: The kids that climb into the pen with goats that are not theirs and try to sit on the goats back and ride them around, with the goat freaking out mind you. Or the really stupid person(s) that let all of the goats out one night in 2006!!!! Not all of this happens all of the time...just the people trying to feed the goats.

Sorry I got a little off topic. Back to the original post...now there is no reason for that kind of behavior. I do agree with the others about prayer(even though it may be hard) and about her maybe not having a good day. There was a lady at our fair my first year and she just seemed so nasty! That was back in 2002. Now that Mom works at TSC she gets to see her quite often and talks to her all of the time. She is very nice, but has absolutely no tolerance for people with no common sense. But that first year she was just so mean and kinda scary...come to find out her husband and father both passed away from cancer within a year of each other around that time. So you never know what might be going on in their world.

19. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I guess when youve been to as many fairs as I have it gets tiring to have people in front of your stall all the time, especially after a week there. And having 20 goats to show and get out of the pens. I always make time to visit with people if they ask questions, we have made good friends and quite a few sales that way. When I have been to fairs they do not realize when the show is going on, and I cant blame them but when you only get 4 hours of sleep and have to be on your feet all day it ain't fun! But then again I love going to shows and visiting with the people there, and of course I love it when they love my goats :thumbup:

20. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

At my county fair there really is one women i cant stand, its just because she makes stupid decisions, like cutting the afterbirth from a doe before she is ready to drop it. I think i have told about her on several occasions. Well this year she came over to my stalls as we were setting up, i was putting up my hay feeders or something, and as she leaned on the fence she said wow your goats look really good. I had gotten a glance of her goats as she brought them in, most were too thin bony looking and had bald patches. i felt like saying maybe thats because i feed my goats.
    Then there are others, at larger ADGA shows and state fairs, that like you say are short rude and just rub you the wrong way. I try and stay away from those people, like someone said you never know what the rest of their life is like, but everyone has stress. you just have to make the best of things. If they feel they are better then me then let them think that. I dont think im better if i win more ribbons then that person. but there are some people like that. I can think of two right off the top of my head. Last year at the oregon state fair there had been a gal beating me all day, i didnt mind she had some nice goats. The judge was liking large one seventy five plus lb does. My does tend to be between one thirty and one fifty. No biggie, but here comes the age doe class and my doe won over hers, oh she was mad, you could see it in her face, a friend of mine said she just glared at me the entire time the judge was giving her reasons. It happens. Some people just think they are better then others.
    beth