rant about flaky buyers!!!!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by farmergal, Jun 17, 2010.

1. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    GRRRRR!!! :veryangry:

Why are people so darn flaky?! These days, people think that they can email you once, asking tons of questions about your goats, to which you respond with a very thoughtful detailed message, and then... you never hear from them again.

OR, you email a potential customer back and forth in a nice long email chain, sending them pics, answering their questions, and at some point they just stop responding, and then you wait and wait and wait to hear back from them... wanting to give them the benefit of the doubt before moving on to the next potential buyer... you send an email asking the first buyer what happened... oh, no worries, they bought two goats from another farm! :hair:

I completely understand that just contacting me about goats does not mean that someone will ultimately buy one of my kids. BUT, leading me on, extracting all kinds of information out of me, and then not even telling me they're no longer interested is just plain rude. All it takes is one sentence saying they found other goats to buy, so I'm not left hanging. Because I do wait for someone if I think they're going to purchase a goat, because I don't want them to be bummed if I suddenly sell it to someone else.

Where have manners gone in the 21st century?!

---end rant--- :oops: silly to be so angry, I know, it just makes me feel used... and this time of year I work 7 days a week sunup to sundown so I don't have time to deal with lame duck fake buyers!

anyone else have frustrating experiences with buyers?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes.. I have experienced the same thing....it is frustrating and now... I don't wait around for anyone....if another buyer comes along... that buyer that is lally gagging around....just has to miss out.... :shrug: unless they... put a non refundable down payment on them... to hold that goat.... then to me.... that goat is open to all Potential buyers... I don't bother with it anymore..just not worth it... if anyone has any questions ...then I will answer them..... but I don't hold anyone as being serious... until the down is paid or ...they are at my place looking at my goats.... :wink:

3. hphorses

hphorses New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Waldron, SK. Canada
    It's not just the goat world.. it is way worse on the horse world.. we breed raise and train Quarter Horses and I get it all the time, someone will ask for pictures of a young animal and want new pictures so you if weather permitting bath, clip and groom the heck out of said horse put 4 hours into it and send the pictures and never hear from them again. grrr

Tara

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah well Pam, you dealt with me for two year before i bought a goat :p lol!
    (that's why she doesn't tolerate it anymore...LOL)

yeah, when I sell meat goats they go fast, so i can have two people call me within 5 minutes, and whoever gets the money in my hand the fastest gets 'em. once i went to buy a goat, and just as I was leaving with her the next buyer drove up, pointing at the goat in my hands, we just smiled and booked it outta there. It is really annoying, i just went through 6 emails and a phone call, and they're like... well, we really had our hearts set on another one, and i said "ok, cool." and called the next buyer.

oh wow tara, that would stink so bad, grr!

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    It CAN be VERY frusterating indeed! One yr I had someone put down $50 deposit. Well she had some problems with her shoulder so she got some extra grace but never got back to me.
    I could have sold that goat a couple of times. After two or 3 emails stating it was time to pick up her girl after changing her over to the potential buyers grain I gave up.
    Thankfully someone came after seeing some of my other girls at a show & couldnt find a Nubian.
    Their seller had backed out! They came they saw they liked, handed me the money, loaded her & away she went.
    My opening question is always "What are you looking for?" The ones who dont know what they are looking for are the ones who are just poking around.
    Another time I had someone call who wanted ALL my young uns. He didnt know if had 5 or 500. Two calls saying he had to talk to his cousin & I wasnt going to waste my time.
    The next step is they come look. Sometimes they do, sometimes they dont.
    One potential buyer fell in love but didnt get back to me.In a nice way I told her a deposit speaks volumes.
    So far I havent had to deal with answering a million questions that may or may not result in a sale.
    My breeder gives a brief description of pictured animal & price. "The best way is to come see them on the move."

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I know how you feel. I get those kind of people every now and then. Actually I have come to find that people that email me with... Can you send pics? or other one sentence emails like that I just won't respond...they are usually just tire kickers. I feel like if you are genuinely interested you will have more questions and/or your interest will show in the email.

If I send photos, pedigrees, etc. and spend some time getting an email together for the person and don't hear back within a day or two I move onto the next person. I won't wait around for someone when there is someone else interested UNLESS they told me they won't be able to get to their emails for a day or two or they have a deposit down, etc.

It's rude to not respond after someone takes the time to get everything for you. I have asked a lot of questions on a goat or goats, got pictures and the goat/goats wasn't what I was hoping and I have told them I am looking for something different, but thank you for taking the time to send information and I will pass it along if I know of anyone. I think it's just polite to accknowledge the time they spent sending stuff and answering questions.

7. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    I completely sympathize!

I agreed to sell my twin bucklings to a woman this year and went back and forth with her for weeks. She kept giving me this sob story about being out of work and asked if I could agree on lowering the price, etc. etc. I, of course, caved and agreed. Then she flaked on a pick up and called me telling me that her kid was sick all weekend and she was in the ER so I felt bad AGAIN and rescheduled. Then I never heard from her again.

Luckily I found a nice home for them, but I wasted over three weeks dealing with this woman.

I wanted to tear my hair out. :hair:

8. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Realfoodmama our time is valuable. So are our goats.
    If someone doesnt get back it's THEIR loss.
    Just recently a repeat customer called cell when we were a few hundred miles away. They wanted to pick up a couple that evening. I told them it wouldnt work out as we were out of town.
    Hubby kept trying to convince me we missed a sale.
    We didnt miss a sale we cant be everywhere at once. Besides, when we got home about the time they could have shown up we had to stop fence leak while our new buck was waiting to get unloaded & bottle babies in back of truck in their crate had to be fed.

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Dealt with one this year...I don't take reservations cause I'm supersticious but had an inquiry about a buck kid from one of my does, I explained and was truthful that I wouldn't sell a buck from this doe..the kids are pets only, person was ok with that then started to inquire about other kids and seemed interested...never heard from her again and she wouldn't answer my emails either...I finally learned that she decided to go with better foundation stock closer to home...ok with me but it would have been nice if she'd had the decency to let me know.

10. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    Realfoodmama -- I had one of those too. It was super frustrating, she bargained and was all concerned about money so I went down $100(!!!) in price. Also since her kid was in 4H I offered to lease a show doe (one who hates hates HATES being milked so isn't much use to me) for free, with first choice kid back. I may have even thrown in a free breeding too.

The customer in the end went for a crummy $100 doe from a disreputable breeder... oh well. (Not saying that all people who sell goats for $100 are disreputable mind you, it's just in our area that doesn't come close to covering feed costs, and most Nigis around here are 3 times that.)

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Guess I just have to stand firm and stop spending so much time on individual people... I'm starting to get the sense that if they're not willing to come out to the farm and visit the goats, or spend the time to tell a bit about themselves and their specific goat needs, maybe they're not worth my time...

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    No Katrina... you are not even close... to the reason we are changing how we now deal with buyers..... No worries..... :wink:

Wow... it looks like... there are alot of flaky buyers out there....I was thinking I was alone.... :wink: :grouphug:

12. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I guess I get it-I am lucky enough to have found a home for my two bucklings-soontobe wethers when they were 2 weeks old...however I have recently been in the other seat. I was interested in a doe, and emailed asking questions, and never heard anything. I was serious about the goat too! Oh well...I found one I liked more, so in a way I'm glad I never heard back! I guess sometimes thing happen for the better...

13. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Dude, that was totally me :oops: My apologies Liz. I just had a lot on my plate at the time. Sometimes I get to my email and sometimes I don't and sometimes I just freaking forget. I'm really sorry.

14. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    So, playing Devils Advocate, :devilish:
    ...because I certainly don't have a penny extra to buy an animal & not have it be what it was supposed to. I can't buy a goat & get it here with knock knees or messed up hooves or something else that's fishy. I am one of those who is always asking for pictures because without being able to look at a goat in person & get my hands on it. ..well, that's all there is to go from -pictures. With horses, you get pics, you ask a lot of questions, you drive out & "test drive", then you get back with them & buy or don't buy. I didn't realize that goats were different, and I guess I dont really see why they would/should be. I, personally, wouldn't buy a goat if I hadn't seen it or it's parents (udders/offspring/etc) to show that it's a quality animal. For instance, why would I buy a buck (or doe) if I hadn't seen his momma's incredibly wonderful udder? Atleast in pictures or in person. Even if she/he has the best possible pedigree, not every kid from that breeding will be perfect, right?
    Maybe I'm too picky (I've certainly heard it before!LOL!) since I only have a dozen "spots" that I'll allow myself for doe's
    ... or maybe I've bought/sold too many cars, motorcycles, etc. that have all required lots of pictures & "lookers"...so it doesn't bother me. ????? For now...
    My absolute sincerest apologies to anyone I offend now or in the future :oops: if I emailed about goaties & didn't reply with a No Thanks/Not interested. That's really REALLY hard to say to someone, especially when you know that the farm has put LOTS of work into breeding that animal & caring for that animal for however long. I have doe's that it would break my heart for someone to say, "No way, I wouldn't buy that one". It's kind of a sensitive spot to be in...
    Maybe if $500 wasn't such a monumental amount of money for us right now...it wouldn't be such a big deal. But I think with this economy alot of people are "Shopping". On the other hand, a lot of people are selling VERY nice animals that wouldn't normally be for sale too...which is bringing up even more difficult decisions.
    Hopefully this makes some sense??? I'm just saying I've been on both sides & understand both sides. And yes, sometimes people are just rude & it does go too far.

PS. I LOVE the response that KW Farms gave to this post... A great way to handle emails/customers, and also a great "out" for those who have to turn down a goat. Very well put, very mature & collected, just all around wonderful answer!! I'll definitely be using it!

15. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Contracts would help, a buyer has to put money down and have a promise date to pick up the animal or you have the right to keep the deposit and resell the goat. People play all sorts of games today and buy goats like they would a puppy. For the lookers have a picture of the goat and lots of info that you can email them so you don't waist your time emailing back and forth. This is why i do not breed goats for sale, only for meat.

16. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Gal calls the other day and is looking for a wether to companion with her new horse. Comes over, falls in love with 2 boys and decides maybe 2 are better. I cut her a little discount on two. She's in the process of moving to a new rental (renter, sorry but that's a red flag for me) and wonders can I go by the place and check out the fence around the pasture and let her know if it's ok for goats. It's close by so I agree. The fence is T posts with three strands of barbed wire, strands about 2 feet apart. She's right by a busy road. I called, gave her the bad news and said let me know if you get the fence issue solved and if I have any boys left we can take up where we left off.
    I think new buyers especially get real excited about owning their very own goats without factoring in the rest of the costs and when they do, they back out.
    It often takes me a long time to sell babies, but I'm pretty picky about who I'll sell to. Better that than a neglected animal down the road or one I'm going to have to rescue.

17. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    At the end of last year, I came across an ad for two Jacob rams for sale. I called and found out they breed every year and we talked about buying a two week old bottle baby come Feb. Gave her 3 different phone numbers to contact me and I also got her home and cell to call mid Feb to see what was on the ground and set up time to come and choice which one we wanted. I called and left a message in Jan to remind and let her know I couldn't wait till we could come. No answer. No reply back. Called after Valentines day...No answer on house or cell. Left message. No response. We call at the end of Feb same thing. No one home.

Even if she didn't have a good lambing, she should have called and let me know. I was ready to spend some 300 to 500 on a bottle ram. That doesn't happen around my parts very often.

People want boar, kiko, pygmy's around here. If someone wants a sheep, it's one to eat. It is hard to sell an expensive lawn ornament just because it's unusual.

:sigh: I'll find one someday.

Gina

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Here is a breeders Prospective on this...which is me..LOL :thumb: There is nothing wrong... with buyers... that say to you ...well.. it is just not... what I am looking for...... When a breeder takes the time... to get pics....of all sides ect.... pedigree and answer questions...for a buyer to just ignor you ..... to me..... is not nice....we breeders... do not get offended in anyway.... if a buyer backs out..... it may be that... a buyer doesn't like something they see... in that picture or even in person......or don't like the bloodlines....don't like the color..... or maybe ...they only have so much money...and when they find out the price ..it is no go.....no big deal... if they don't buy... But Communication is important to us... and it is OK.. for a buyer to say......it is not what I am looking for.....thank you for your time....I never leave someone hanging.... :wink: As I and other breeders know... not all buyers... like the same thing as another.....Some don't like Boers that are Solids...or spotted.. as others like traditionals to paints so ...saying no.. is not something that we fret on.... because there will be someone.... that will come along.... that will want that animal.........................:thumb:
    no matter the reason ....an acknowledgement in a nice way... to say thanks for taking the time.... :thumbup: :wink:

19. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    This right here is what I am thinking is the most important idea in this thread-COMMUNICATION-from both parties. :thumbup: