The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so....this is going to be a little bit of a rant.

for those who don't know, I live in Barbados.

I called our vet today (the best large animal vet on the island, but not really a goat vet), to schedule castration for my buckling, and to have my two does tested for CL, CAE and Johne's.

Well.....apparently, the gov't used to have a program where they imported the testing solutions (or whatever they were), but you still had to pay if you wanted it done. and it used to cost FIVE HUNDRED U.S. DOLLARS......EACH!!!! and they would ONLY import the testing solutions when there are enough vials to test. the vet said if i really wanted, i could still get the blood drawn, but it may stay in a freezer somewhere until they had enough, which could be 10 years from now.

because of the cost, they stopped doing it. So now, there's no way of knowing if your herd is positive of any of these things! said the vet, there aren't too many instances of it, and the only time they found CAE was when the gov't imported some goats from a CAE positive herd. doesn't seem like there's been too many instances of CL...he said they would cull if they see any abcesses.

so now looking for a buck, all i have to go by is asking if anyone has noticed any abcesses on their goat or swollen joints. sigh. another "quirk" of the island, right????

again, sorry for the rant. you're the only people who can truly understand the absurdness of this whole thing....

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I feel your pain, nchen. I know it can be difficult to get these things done. :mad: I don't suppose you could send blood samples to WADDL, could you? I don't even know where they are, but I assume in the states somewhere. Would it just be too expensive to ship that far, or is that just not done?
Thinking out loud here. :)

·
I'm watching you
22,552 Posts
It would probably not be legal to send "hazardous material" into another country. Even the people from Canada were having trouble using our labs.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I know having the black and white results is much better than "hoping" for negative but maybe if it was a big issue there they would be testing for those regardless of how many specimens they have.........I mean maybe the island is negative by default? I don't know.......I would be frustrated too.......

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks all for reading the rant!

no, doesn't seem like there are outbreaks (there isn't any rabies here either), the vet wasn't too worried about any of those things, BUT the whole point is there's no testing!! people are bringing in animals from negative herds, but they should still be able to do testing here in case it was a false negative on things, which we all know can happen. i bet you there's rabies test here.

anyway, i just needed to rant at the craziness of it all! i knew fellow goat people would be the only people who could understand!

<3

1 - 10 of 10 Posts