Ranting!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by MsScamp, Feb 25, 2010.

1. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    How many of you raise Boer's, and why? I'm so frustrated I could just scream! I've got a number of purebred Boer goats in my herd and NONE of them have a flipping clue as to what to do with their kids. They cannot even follow their kids cries, figure out what direction they are coming from, or anything else, for that matter. My Kiko crossbreds do not have that problem. I've about come to the conclusion that the articles I've read about the hardiness/instinct having been bred out of Boer's, and that they are pretty much worthless except as show goats is dead on. The vast majority of mine are going down the road. I'm over having to do their job for them.

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    That must be beyond frusterating for sure! Do you think it could be their lines?
    My Boer gals are real good mamas. Still have one who rejected a kid as an FF, the next time around we worked it out when she tried.
    It is indeed THEIR job to raise kids not yours, Dont know what else to say.

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Were they all first fresheners? Were they bottle kids?

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    do you know if the mom's were bottle babies themselves? bottle babies arent always bad moms but it can play a part in them not knowing what to do.

I give mine 2 chances and then I will send them on their way to a new home where the new owners dotn mind bottle feeding kids. I personally cant hand raise my kids due to being a working adult outside the home.

Sorry your mama's arent being good mamas

(Ashley just saw you post before this submitted -- to funny, great minds think a like :hi5: )

5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i've had deadhead mommies with the boers, and then super mommas with boers.. all dam raised.. just.. some are REALLY STUPID

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I raise boers

90% of mine can raise their babies great, almost too mcuh milk though..
    10% account for FF, bottle babies

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :( My Boers are the best momma's ever... :shrug:

FF ers....need the bonding time ...at minimum 3 days... unless the babies are weak...then they need more....

I for one ..give each of my does ...no matter... if they are old pro's or FF ....3 days bonding time with there babies...and by doing this... I have had no problems with them what so ever...

After the kids...are a certain age...the momma's.. won't run to the kids every second...they hear them calling and know where they are ..so the kids have to go to there mom's .... the overwhelming sense of urgency ...lessons....

If they don't know ...who there kid is at all...then the bonding time wasn't met....
    and you should put the momma and her babies in a pen until she knows them...

8. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Pam made a crucial point! Also what is the kid mortality rate? Not that I or anyone else needs to know, just consider it on your own. If you are losing kids cause moms arent taking care of them kids you gotta re-think manegment.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    There are alot of boer breeders out there...and we(I) love my boers with my whole heart....and find they are excellent momma's.... as I know... other breeders of different breeds...love there goaties..to..... we must remember ....all breeds can have the same issues.... it is just a matter of learning ....what our goats require ....and the time needed... to put into the babies and the new mom's ......to teach them motherhood...whatever it may be...to old pro's... to a first timers..... Blaming it on one breed is unfair .... :( and I know... it offends ... Boer Goat breeders ....to hear them being so bashed.... because it is so far from the truth...in my book anyway..... please ...remember ...keep it friendly ...keep it fun.... :p :greengrin: :D :thumb: :crazy:

10. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    I am NOT 'bashing' Boer goats. I am simply stating the facts as far as my experience has been. I can absolutely understand a first timer needing a little help in figuring out this birth thing, but the 2nd(3rd, 4th) time they should have it figured out and the majority of my Boer's don't. That is simple fact. I have had 5 first time Kiko crosses kid, and I didn't have to intervene with any of them. On the other hand, I've had 8 experienced Boer does kid so far, and I had to intervene on every single one of them, and even then they can't keep their kids alive. I don't have the time, energy, or inclination to 'teach' a doe how to be a mother - she either has the instinct bred into her, or she gets a oneway ticket to the sale barn. It's as simple as that. As far as keeping it 'friendly', and 'fun', it is not 'fun' to lose kids. This might be a hobby for you, but it is a business for me.

11. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    No, they were not first timers. I have no idea as to whether they were bottle kids or not, since I bought them.

Nancy D, I don't know what their bloodlines are. I have a commercial meat goat herd, and bloodlines are not a factor in that kind of set-up.

I always check the girls regularly during kidding season, move them into the kidding pens when they are ready to kid, and they always have a minimum of 48 to 72 hours of being penned with their kids. But that is a moot point when they don't seem to be able to take care of their kids and even keep them alive beyond the 12-48 hour point without my assistance.

Stacy, I am now doing the same thing. They have 2 chances, then they are shipped. Depending on how hard she is to handle, and how off the wall she is with her kids, she could very well be shipped after the first kidding.

Thank you, everyone for your thoughts and input. I appreciate it very much.