Rapid breathing in doe

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by JessaLynn, Oct 28, 2010.

1. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    5 yr old Alpine doe has had a cronic cough since we purchased her in March of this year but eats,drinks and acts normal.The cough comes and goes mainly during wet or cold conditions.She was sick a few weeks ago with a green runny nose and temp of 104 so I gave her LA 200.It cleared up within a few days.She now is breathing rapidly and coughing.Eats grain fine and acts like her bossey self.I do deworm with ivermec every 6 months or when they show signs.She was just dewormed a few weeks ago and eyelids are nice and pink.Any suggestions to steer me in the right direction would be helpful in what's going on with her! Getting worried with the shallow rapid breathing she's doing and coughing more.Could it be pnemonia?? Normal temp as of yesterday but I will get another today.She started with the breathing thing yesterday.I thought it was because she went into heat and my buck was exchausting her :oops: Nope she's still the same today so not that :shrug:

2. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Normal temp on her today 101.What's going on with her??

3. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    All my knowledge of pathology is based off of people, but rapid breathing can be a sign of pneumonia in us so it could possibly translate. Not sure she would need to have a high temp to have pneumonia?

Sorry I'm not more help :(

4. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I know that is what I assume it is to but no fever and nothing else for me to really go on is not much help

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how many days of LA 200 did she get? and what was the dosage

6. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    3ml once a day for 5 days

7. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    What does she weigh? I think of Alpines as being larger than myotonics and I give 5cc a day for 5-7 days to my adults (about 90lbs) for pneumonia. :ponder:

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    dosage recomendation is 1cc per 20lbs

9. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I got the dosage recommendation from fias co farms site and went with that.3ml for 100lbs once a day
    I don't want to give her antibiotics if I don't have a sound reason.With no fever and nothing but rapid breathing and occasional coughing...is that enough to just assume it's pnemonia and start treating her?? Don't know what to do but don't like the way she's breathing at all :(

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Some things on Fiasco Farms site is out of date -- I dont agree with that dosage at all.

I would put her on 5 days of LA 200 at 1cc per 20lbs

11. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Ok thanks I will.Rather treat her then not do anything at this point.She seems fine but I know pnemonia can take them quick so don't want to risk it! Thanks for all your help

12. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Well she still the same even after 5 days of the antibiotic.I'm tryen a different wormer to see if it's lungworms which I also suspect.Maybe the ivermec just isn't worken anymore for her.I'm tryen anything and everything possible to get her back to norm

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sometimes also... if they had pneumonia or lung worms real bad...and has been battling it for a while .... they may have scar tissue.... that can make them continue to cough..... for a while after treatment..... :hug:

14. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I wondered that about her cough.Now I got to figure why she is breathing so rapid and shallow

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Maybe have a vet take a look see.... and listen to her lungs.... and see what they think... :hug:

Is there any improvement at all ....after treatment...or is it the same or worse?

16. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    She is no better so calling the vet tomorrow morning.She seems to be getting worse :( No temp still,eating ok but now acting abit depressed or just down.Everyone else is healthy so I'm stumped!

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :hug: Let us know ...what the vet says..... I am sorry... she isn't any better.... :hug: :pray: praying for her....

18. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    still a mystery...possible severe reaction to the antibiotic is suspected

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Wow.... that is bizarre.... even after the antibiotic is stopped.... really strange.. :hug:

20. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    vet is stumped to.nothing is working and she is still breathing rapid but not as bad.Acting normal and everything.He said he could do xrays to look at her chest to see if anything comes up.We thought she had something lodged in her windpipe but that would require a scope done.I can't pay for xray right now cus it's $300.I'm gonna guess she has severe scar tissue from either past pnemonia or lungworms and unless she goes off feed or something else I'm not gonna further it.It's frustrating!! Here my $100 doe is now a $450 doe with vet bills and meds that did nothing! UGH!