The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eye Felidae Carnivore Small to medium-sized cats Whiskers

Hand Cat Leg Felidae Whiskers

So a few weeks ago I noticed this on Sunshine. Upon further inspection it looked like she had rubbed it on something, it was bleeding a tad bit. I put bluekote on it and let it be. Well yesterday I noticed it had gotten a lot bigger and she was limping a little bit. What is this? Ringworm?

·
Registered
31,481 Posts
Any other symptoms other than limping? Temp is ok? ..skin looks pink? Try nustock and check her walk..make sure not off balance. Menegeal worm causes them to bite raw spots but usually along spine..but I wouldn't rule it out just in case.

Reactions: Boers4ever

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Temp is good. There doesn’t appear to be anything else wrong with her skin. It’s just that weird spot. She is not limping very badly, just a tad. No balance issues. Still running and jumping. FAMACHA is healthy pink.
I don’t have any nustock but I’m going out tomorrow so I’ll pick some up.

·
Registered
31,481 Posts
Nustock is a good place to start. Could be she was bit and she chewed it sore. Sometimes we don't have an exact reason for skin issues. We just start to rule things out. Keep us posted

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How often do I put the nustock on? Daily? She’s not limping anymore that I can see. So I’m really confused on what this is. I’m hoping that is just a fungle thing or minor something. I’m keeping a really close eye on her.

·
Registered
31,481 Posts
I would reapply nustock at least 2 times a day or as you see it needs a fresh covering.
With MW you want to treat even if slightly suspected as it has to be treated early. Treatment is five days of safeguard so not a huge investment or issue if she doesn't have MW.

Reactions: goatblessings

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I treated Sunshine with nustock. It was a lot worse today and bleeding. But I was trimming hooves on another doe and I found a spot on her exactly the same spot! So at this point I’m convinced y’all are right about the Meningeal Worm. I have panacur, isn’t that the same thing?

·
Registered
31,481 Posts
Panacure will work. 1 cc per 5 pounds is in my notes.

·
Registered
31,481 Posts
Might check their bed and hang out area to see if there is somthibg that can cause the issue on both goats on the same spot. While I would still treat MW just as a precaution, two goats with it at the same time and sores on the same spot is unlikely..but not impossible

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Panacure will work. 1 cc per 5 pounds is in my notes.
Ok. That is sure a high dosage! My vet told me 5cc per 100lbs. But I want to get this knocked out fast, so I’ll use your dose. Should I dose all of them or just the ones with itchy spots? There’s only two out of the five does I have.

·
Registered
31,481 Posts
Just treat the two with spots. If you have horse paste, dose Is 4 times the dose...but goat formula is 1 cc per 5 pounds. Either way. It's safe to give large doses.

·
Registered
31,481 Posts
But it says on the Nustock bottle, to apply every 3 days.
You know I honestly never saw that. I have always reapplied if it looked absorbed/gone. I want a continued coverage. Good to know.

Do shake or roll the tube well to blend the separation that happens

Reactions: toth boer goats
1 - 18 of 18 Posts