Raspy breathing in newborn kid

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by rodeorulz, May 17, 2018.

1. rodeorulz

rodeorulz Active Member

Nov 10, 2015
    rural Casper, WY
    I have a buck kid that was a triplet born on May 14th. I noticed he has a bit of raspy breathing occasionally. What can/should I do to help him get over it? I have not checked his temperature yet. He is eating well and seems to be acting fine. Thanks!

2. lifesabtchlearn2deal

lifesabtchlearn2deal Active Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Check his temp asap. That's a possible sign of pneumonia and it kills young babies really quick. If no fever just keep an eye on it and maybe he's just eating too much? I know my babies sound raspy when I pick them up right after nursing but they normally stop after about 5 minutes

aJadeMagnolia likes this.

3. rodeorulz

rodeorulz Active Member

Nov 10, 2015
    rural Casper, WY
    I just checked and got 101.2° F. He is still a little raspy sounding but acting normal still too. How long do I give it to go away on its own or is there something I can/should do now? Thanks!

4. lifesabtchlearn2deal

Mar 26, 2018
    How's his belly feel? Full, not full, maybe airy?

5. rodeorulz

rodeorulz Active Member

Nov 10, 2015
    rural Casper, WY
    He seems "normal" full to me. He is eating right now. Doesn't seem to be airy. He has definitely been pooping well and I believe peeing well too.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  6. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    How much does he weigh? You can try giving him a tiny shot of banamine. If he has any lung inflammation, that should take care of it. However, I'm not sure of dosing for a kid.

While you are waiting for more people to chime in you can put a drop or two of vet rx on his nose. It's like Vicks Vaporub for goats!

7. rodeorulz

rodeorulz Active Member

Nov 10, 2015
    rural Casper, WY
    Just weighed him, he is 7 pounds. I don't have banamine :( That is something you have to get from a vet right? I dont have VetRX either :( That is sokething that can be picked up at a place like Tractor Supply right? You always think you're prepard and have what you need until you don't...never fails! I do have LA200 on hand...not sure if that may be useful on this situation. Thanks!

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  8. rodeorulz

rodeorulz Active Member

Nov 10, 2015
    rural Casper, WY
    I do have Vicks, baby Vicks, as well as a eucalyptus run...would any of those work?

I also got to thinking and am wondering if he inhaled some of the nutri drench I gave each of them the morning/day after they were born

groovyoldlady likes this.
  9. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    You can get Vetrx at Teactor Supply. It is the same for goats, sheep and chickens. It's in a yellow box.
    One note about pneumonia is that it does not always make the goat have a higher than normal temp. (Fever).
    Do you have a stethoscope so you can listen to the lungs?

rodeorulz likes this.
  10. rodeorulz

rodeorulz Active Member

Nov 10, 2015
    rural Casper, WY
    I don't have a stethoscope unfortunately
    I am planning on going to town today so I will get some VetRX ☺

groovyoldlady likes this.
  11. lifesabtchlearn2deal

Mar 26, 2018
    Any fluid in the lungs is a sign of pneumonia either starting or already there but it could just be in the throat. I don't think going ahead and treating for it is a bad idea because it is such a fast killer. I've nearly lost two to it so far but mine didn't even sound raspy until after the antibiotics where given by the vet

12. rodeorulz

rodeorulz Active Member

Nov 10, 2015
    rural Casper, WY
    What is the treatment for pneumonia? Thank you!

13. rodeorulz

rodeorulz Active Member

Nov 10, 2015
    rural Casper, WY
    I picked up VetRX last night and put a couple drops on his nose. I *think* he already sounds a little better this morning. How often can I put it on his nose?
    I also decided to use the LA200 I have so if anyone has suggestions on how much to use on a kid this small please let me know asap. Thanks!

14. groovyoldlady

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    The Vet Rx can be used 3-4 times a day. LA 200 is GREAT for respiratory infections. Dose, according to my vet (and tested by me on my own goats) is 1cc per 20 pounds. Give 1 shot SQ every other day for a total of 3 shots.

rodeorulz likes this.
  15. groovyoldlady

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Oh...and it's a thicker med. I usually use an 18 needle. You CAN use a 20, but you'll have to give the shot slowly if you do. My philosophy with shots is to get in and out quickly!

rodeorulz likes this.
  16. rodeorulz

rodeorulz Active Member

Nov 10, 2015
    rural Casper, WY
    Great news tonight I am not hearing any raspy sounds!! How long should I continue with the VetRX? I gave it once yesterday and 3 times today (1 drop in each nostril today). I haven't given any LA200 since I was seeing some progress already this morning and wanted to see how the day went. Again he has also still been acting totally normal otherwise. Thanks!!

17. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would do one day or so more.

rodeorulz likes this.
  18. rodeorulz

rodeorulz Active Member

Nov 10, 2015
    rural Casper, WY
    I will plan on that then and if it comes back we will move on to the LA2000!! Thanks a bunch to everyone that has chimed in ☺

19. tippycanoe

tippycanoe New Member

Jul 11, 2016
    As so happens I came here because I have a 2 mo old with raspy breathing...otherwise absolutely normal. The only VetRx I can find around here is for poultry - the ingredients are the same so can I use the poultry version for goats?