The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Fair-Haven
5,574 Posts
She looks healthy. When is your show? I like to shave my black girls about 2 weeks out with a #10, or if your show is close, use a 6. Black goats tend to look a little "bald" at first. Trim up her feet. Good luck!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She looks healthy. When is your show? I like to shave my black girls about 2 weeks out with a #10, or if your show is close, use a 6. Black goats tend to look a little "bald" at first. Trim up her feet. Good luck!
The show is at the end of July but wanted to get a head start on checking her out just incase I needed to change anything.
I give my does sanitary clips in the fall and sometimes clip their legs to keep them from Matting with mud and I did notice that "bald" Look but I thought that I might have been clipping her wrong, glad to know that it might just be how she looks.

I did notice that on her back thighs her coat is more of a dark brownish red color, is this a deficiency, sunbleach, or just how her coat is since it's only on her back legs?

Sent from my SM-A125U using Goat Forum mobile app

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have yet another question. When showing dairy goats will I need to brace them, I see people showing meat goats hold them at the head and kinda braces them, and what should her stance look like we we're standing.

·
Fair-Haven
5,574 Posts
You can put it inside a treat… banana , etc.
when showing use a show chain - or a small gauge fig choke chain will work.
When setting up your goat, you want the collar under the jaw, front legs squarely under the shoulder. Back legs are farther apart than front… Draw an imaginary straight line down from pins to hocks.
Look up any big dairy breeder, that will show you how to set up your goat. Lead at a slow pace and practice changing sides on her while she is set. NEVER walk all the way around behind your goat. Always change sides in the front. You goat should always be between you and the judge.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You can put it inside a treat… banana , etc.
when showing use a show chain - or a small gauge fig choke chain will work.
When setting up your goat, you want the collar under the jaw, front legs squarely under the shoulder. Back legs are farther apart than front… Draw an imaginary straight line down from pins to hocks.
Look up any big dairy breeder, that will show you how to set up your goat. Lead at a slow pace and practice changing sides on her while she is set. NEVER walk all the way around behind your goat. Always change sides in the front. You goat should always be between you and the judge.
The only treats I've ever been able to get them to eat is cookies, is there another way to get them to take it? Sometime with dogs we have to place it in there throats with our hands, could that work?

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
The only treats I've ever been able to get them to eat is cookies, is there another way to get them to take it? Sometime with dogs we have to place it in there throats with our hands, could that work?

Try giving a fig newton a few times. If they like those, cut them open through the middle, pour the contents of the bolus onto the bottom part, add the top and squeeze back together gently. (Some goats prefer to turn down something new a couple of times before deciding they like it after all. One of mine got offered a fig newton 4 (four) times before he started liking them.)

The back teeth of a goat will inflict an unexpectedly painful bite. The finger(s) will more than likely bleed and be painful for a few days. Been there, done that. Only took once.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts