The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rat problem and none of the typical solutions seem to be an option. Im too much of a wuss for snap traps, I'm terrified of putting out poison because I'm afraid my crafty goats might get into it, and barn cats or rat terriers aren't an option financially, zap traps for the same reason. I bought and baited a live trap to take them to a wildlife relocation... place? Idk but it's been a week and I haven't caught any.

My next plan is to mix raw red kidney beans, licorice, and peanut butter and put it somewhere only the rats can get it. I read that there was a study feeding rats a diet with 1% raw red kidney beans and they died in two weeks. I've also heard that licorice is toxic to rats, and peanut butter for taste. As far as I've read, none of these foods are toxic to goats in moderation. This way, if my babies break into the supply room, my life won't collapse.

I just thought I'd post to see if anyone has anything I haven't hit to suggest. Also I feel like I haven't been on much lately and wanted to touch base.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,179 Posts
I haven't done it myself but if you have the stomach for it, a water trap is supposedly very effective. Use a large drum or bucket (5 gal is too small, something taller) fill one third with water, provide a ramp up the side, cover water surface with sunflower seeds.

Also they do not like disturbance so a barn clean Out and eliminating as many hiding places as possible can help.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi Deb,

My advice for you is to use tubing - like pipe or bamboo segments.
So only small animals like mice and rats can crawl it to eat the poison.
I use this system and it works well, depending on what poison u use your goat will be fine if they should ingest some.
Rat poison uses blood thinners, and because rats are small it works well, goats are bigger and won't be effect by this in small doses. (If they should nibble some).

What I do as well is use small amounts of poison at a time, but replace it frequently. So just on the off chance an animal finds some it won't be hurt, only killing off small mammals like your rats.

I fix the pipe segment so it can't be moved or tipped over and then place in the rat killer.
I hope you find this helpful :)
-lizzie

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
We use these and love them!
https://www.intruderinc.com/products/the-better-mousetrap

Very easy to use. We mostly catch mice, but we've caught a couple of rats as well. Just make sure you tie it to a post or something because rats are strong enough to drag it off before they die. They come in two sizes, so make sure you get the large one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts