Rave! Goals :)

Discussion in 'Goat Conformation' started by Goat Whisperer, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Goat Whisperer

Goat Whisperer Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Long, picture heavy post ahead :)

Summer 2018, my doe CarolinaGirl was pregnant. I told myself that I wouldn't be keeping any kids from this kidding, and needed to just stick with what I already had. CarolinaGirl kidded, the moment I dried this doe kid off and saw her stand up, I said I'm keeping her.
    As time went on, I was just in awe over this little kid. I knew she was something special.
    I entered her in a show, NC's largest show with several hundred Nigerians. Willow was such a young kid, I wasn't expecting a whole lot as she was in the Jr kid class, many of the kids in the class were over two months older than her. That's a huge difference when you are dealing with such young kids! Still, she managed her way to the top of her class, but my doe Paris beat her out for GCH. That was NC's last show for 2018. Spring 2019 came around and I entered Willow. She went on to win her class, then went GCH, then Best Jr Doe in show. I was over the moon! Willow stayed home for the following shows as I don't continue showing Jr does once they have their dry leg- unless it is our State fair. The next weekend, Willows littermate sister also went GCH and earned her leg.
    [​IMG]

State fair 2019 roles around. I only took a handful of does, with it being such a massive and competitive show I was pretty nervous. Again, there was a pretty big age difference! Some of these does were 6 months older than my sweet Willow. Still she did great! Here she is winning the dry yearling class.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Willow went on to go GCH Best Jr doe in Show for her second time!
    Her dam, CarolinaGirl was GCH and Best Sr doe in show as well!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Talk about great promise! I have had such high hopes for this little doe, but in the end it all comes down to her udder. We bred Willow and have been on pins and needles waiting for her to kid. I had hopes of keeping a doeling, but of course she had a buck LOL But, I was blown away by her udder....
    [​IMG]

(dance)(dance)(dance)(dance)(dance)(dance)(dance)(dance)(dance)(dance)(dance)(dance)
    SHE'S A KEEPER! Yes, I know the pic is a bit messy but I couldn't help but share. Sometimes you have to go with your gut. I'm proud of this one! Willow will be two years old in June. This girl has a bright future!

2. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    What a beautiful girl!! Hope she keeps producing great lines and winning shows many years in the future!

3. Sweet_Song

Sweet_Song Active Member

Oct 8, 2014
    Congratulations on your wins with your lovely girls! Don’t you just love it when those special girls’ udders turn out nicely?!

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Beautiful doe. Good luck!

5. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    So so beautiful J!

6. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Beautiful Doe. I have a question. I dont have dairy..so...please help me understand. In the dairy lines, it seems the doe is only important. In all other breeds the Buck is the most important
    Since she had a buck..wouldnt that keep her dairy lines going? If you breed to a compatible doe?

Goat Whisperer likes this.
  7. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

The buck is very important but, in dairy, a buckling from a ff is almost always wethered.
    A yearling doe hasn't yet matured, her udder isn't up to capacity, she still needs to prove herself as a milk goat.

Now when she's 4, is a finished champion, has her milk star, etc. her bucklings will be in demand. Then you have to decide whether you want to sell your genetics to your competition.

8. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Thankyou. I was curious about the differences in meat & dairy bucklings. Thank you for the education.

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm likes this.
  9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. Goat Whisperer

Dec 3, 2018
    Thank you all for the kind words! Willow is second generation with our herdname on both the sire and dam's side. It's very exciting! Willow's dam (CarolinaGirl) has finished her championship, earned her superior genetics designation, and a appraised excellent. I've got my fingers crossed that Willow will follow her dam's footsteps! CarolinaGirl's dam is Ruth- my foundation doe who is the best brood doe you could ask for. Ruth has always given me my best goats and is either the dam, granddam, or great granddam to nearly my entire Nigerian doe herd.

CarolinaGirl, Willow's dam:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

@Moers kiko boars, your bucks are very important! This year I was planning on wethering all bucks from FF's. Willows udder came in so nice, and she has such a good record as a young doe I was considering selling her buckling as a breeding buck. As it would have it, I received a message from another show herd (I had put Willow's udder pic up on my FB, but was not advertising anything) and they said they would be interested in Willows buckling if he is not already sold. I went out and snapped a few pics so they could see him. They put a deposit on him right away and are picking him up in a few days (dance) For me though, because my entire herd is based off my "Ruth line" (Ruth, my foundation doe) I have very little use for most bucklings we have born as they are heavily related to my entire herd. I did retain a Ruth buck for myself, maybe to do some linebreeding in the future. Doelings I have been born can be retained, shown, and put on performance programs, so naturally I would have loved a doe from Willow to continue the dam line in my herd.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  12. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Thankyou for explaining that to me. Im so glad someone saw ALL THE POTENTIAL in that buckling. I hope they do as well with Ruths line as you have. Congrats!

13. Goat Whisperer

Dec 3, 2018
    Got some updated pics of my girl :inlove:

I just adore this doe! Willow JUST turned 2 years old in June. I love her maturity she already shows. I am really bummed that all our shows & appraisal were canceled due to covid19.
    We recently moved and Willow is still milking pretty well all things considered. She isn't even on alfalfa, just OG hay & Blue Seal feed :) Willow R .JPG
    Willow r2.JPG Willow r3.JPG

14. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    She is beautiful! Only will get better with time

15. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Lots of body capacity for a 2 year old - nice looking doe!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  17. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
  18. Goat Whisperer

Dec 3, 2018
    Thanks all! I'm very excited about this young doe :)

toth boer goats likes this.
  19. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Wow! She gained a lot of body capacity in one year! She is just gorgeous!

20. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    She’s a beautiful girl!

Goat Whisperer likes this.