raw goats milk

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lacy_94, Nov 29, 2008.

1. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    ok please anwser this for me.

can a 2 week old goat live off of "raw goats milk" bought from the store?

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I don't see why that would be a problem. But do remember to switch to any new milk or foods gradually. Goat stomach's are upset quite easily.

3. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    yes they will do fine
    however
    to save yourself some pennies in today's economy
    just buy whole cows milk
    works just fine
    or
    i take an empty/clean milk jug
    pour in 1qt of butter milk
    1can of evaporated milk
    1/2can of condensed milk
    and then fill up with whole milk
    but
    whole, plain cows milk works as well

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Where are you purchasing "store bought raw goats milk"? Around here ALL milk is pastuerized when sold in stores. The ONLY way you can get raw milk is from a goat keeper.

Heavenlyhaven is right though, instead of spending more$$ on the goat milk, store bought cows milk is less expensive...just do any changes gradually.

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Are you sure it's actually raw goat milk? I'm pretty sure stores won't sell that, but I'm not certain. If it is actually raw, then I guess that would probably work.

Heavenly...curious...have you actually used whole cows milk before for your kids? Even though it says whole, they run that milk through so much stuff, it really doesn't have enough for growing kids, calves, lambs to do well on. Most milk bought in stores has gone through so many processes, it takes the most needed stuff out for growing babies. You can get a milk replacer at you local co-op/big R/feed store that you mix. I used it on two bottle babies and it works GREAT! It even has added colostrum.

6. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Raw milk can be legally sold in stores in a few states...it usually has a warning label on it... :roll:

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I've used it before in a pinch. But usually we mix cow's milk, half-and-half or whipping cream, with some power punch. It makes a nice rich milk similar to Nigerian Dwarf milk. We don't use milk replacer anymore. Too many bad experiences with it, too many of our bottle-babies just don't thrive on it and more than often it upsets their tummies. From our experiences with it though, even the one labeled for goats.

8. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    :ROFL: WARNING this milk is healthier for you that the other stuff.

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have used whole cows milk --- but I added cream to it as it doesnt have enough fat in it.

I know of people who have used it effectively but I rather use replacer because when I did use the cows milk they got the runs (even with gradual change over). Now it could have been a coincidence because they did have cocci :shrug: replacer is so expensive and for one bottle baby and as I only needed it a couple times (not enough goats milk) it just worked out better. when he got the runs I just switched him to all goats milk and he cleared up and I cut down his bottles so he would only get goats milk.

All that to say I have heard it work well for people but it didnt for me

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I used whole cows milk with 1 can evaporated milk and 1 cup buttermilk mixture for triplets last year and they all did wonderful. Also, 2 different bottle babies that I sold were brought up on that mixture.

I now sell all my bottle babies with the option of receiving raw goats milk for up to 8 weeks for the kid to be brought up on since I have enough in the freezer. That has worked great for me. I just add $25.00 to the price and everyone has loved it that has done it!

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I think next time if I run out of goats milk I will try adding something like that to the whole milk Allison. I hear about the evaporated milk being added and that is one thing I have not tried.

This year I shouldnt have an issue though with 3 does kidding who are or should be good milkers. But of course you never know. and i hope to not have a bottle kid!!!

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Is what I do is pour about 2 1/2 cups of the whole goats milk into another container. Then add the 1 cup buttermilk and 1 can evaporated milk. Place cap back on, shake well, and LABEL "GOATS MILK" so others don't grab it on accident and take a big ol mouth full :ROFL: :ROFL: not like anyone in my house did that - :ROFL:

13. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

i raised two boers on this.. they drank like a gallon a day.. so it can get costly, but they grow pretty well on it

14. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Here us a recipe I got from another site. They swear by it.

15. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I also have this recipe as a replacer for pygmy goat milk. Pygmy goat milk is similar to Nigerian Dwarf, being very high in butterfat.

This recommended feeding amounts are for pygmy or other mini-goats though but the recipe should be good for other breeds as well. We always have evaporated milk on hand.

16. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    sorry guys it took so long for me to reply, I was following up a post on backyardchickens. Thanks guys for the replys

17. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I wouldn't give raw goat milk to him if you don't know the health of the does it's coming from.

18. alpinemom

alpinemom New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Waldoboro, ME
    I would use one of the recipes listed above. If the goat milk is RAW I would be pasturizing it first. You don't want to chance CAE or CL unless you don't care.