Raw milk storage question

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by kelebek, Jul 28, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have been milking and storing milk in my freezer for my bottle babies. I have someone who would like to purchase raw goats milk from me to make cheese, soap, and for baking.

Would it be better to sell "fresh" or frozen? Is there really a difference? What is the shelf life of "fresh" raw milk - as it might take me a day - 2 days to get a complete gallon depending on when my 2 girls freshen and how much I am able to get from them.

Thank you.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Mine goes from the fridge into 2 quart "juice" bottles, then to the freezer after 2 days. When I thaw it for making cheese I set it to thaw at room temp and is just as good as fresh, regardless of how long it's been frozen. Raw milk is good for at least a week refridgerated, after a week and a half, beyond that it tends to get strong flavored.

I use the 2 qt. bottles that juces such as Ocean Spray and dollar store brands come in...the "flat" bottles can be "stacked" once frozen, and I also use the 1 qt gatorade bottles which are perfect to thaw and have in the fridge for everyday use.

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    We store our milk in half gallon glass jars, it tastes the best and lasts the longest in glass(well it doesn't last long in this house) Raw milk, if properly handled and cooled, will store up to 10 days without turning flavors.

for freezing, for consumed milk, it lasts about 4-6 months before it starts to taste weird. Its fine to feed to kids. When you freeze it, the fat separates from the milk and it doesn't taste as good, but we have a couple customers that don't mind the frozen milk. We freeze in gallon water jugs(because they are thicker and clean) leaving about an inch and a half at the top for expansion.