The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I've been doing a lot of research on the whole raw vs pasteurized milk debate and my conclusion is just like my conclusion about every other food. If you grew it yourself its as safe as you know it to be.
So I guess my question is do you drink your goats milk raw or pasteurized and what is your opinion on raw milk and the dangers the FDA/CDC warns against with raw milk?

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
We do pasteurized because my husband has an auto immune disease and I don't want to chance anything until my goats are tested for cae,cl and johnes.
I feel if you are healthy, raw milk is great but if you have a weakened immune system, it could be really bad potentially....so we err on the side of caution.
I think even if you do pasteurize it is still better for you than store bought milk, and much fresher!

ETA: They also warn against eating under cooked eggs....I like over easy ;)

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Exactly, and no added sugar....

We will go to raw pending tests.....I know a guy that buys duck eggs from me also buys raw cow's milk from a local farm...he says they've been positive for lysteria 2 times in the last few years....scary thought,huh? He says he drank the milk anyway, and never got sick :sick:

·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Oh wow. see if I had to drink raw milk from another farm I'd rather drink pasteurized.(which I do now anyways) but with my goat milk (the little I get. From my 1/2 lamancha) I drink raw. And I plan to get more dairy goats and drink that milk raw too. And of course ill be sure to keep everything nice and clean.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
I go raw, when you pasteurize, you kill so many good things along with the bad. I have a small herd that is disease tested, our milk is carefully handled. Personally though I have nothing against pasteurization whatsoever -- I wouldn't drink raw from any animal but my own. :)

·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Personally though I have nothing against pasteurization whatsoever -- I wouldn't drink raw from any animal but my own. :)
I agree nothing against it. Can't be any worse than drinking a coke lol. And I also would not trust anyone else handling my raw milk :)

·
11,090 Posts
Right! Listeria, NO THANKS. It's sad, the real issues with raw milk arose with overcrowding and factory farming. Take good care of your animals, they will take good care of you.

But I DO understand why those who pasteurize their own milk would do so! I'm just explaining why I wouldn't drink raw milk from another farm. :) I've enjoyed our milk ... it has eased my health as well. It's better than an aspirin when I'm in pain. Powerful stuff, and since my goats get herbs, it's medicinal as well.

·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right! Listeria, NO THANKS. It's sad, the real issues with raw milk arose with overcrowding and factory farming. Take good care of your animals, they will take good care of you.
Exactly! I believe pasteurization is the dairy industries way of covering up bad practices! Yet they blame it on the milk when in reality the blame should be set on them.

I remember working at a dairy for a few months as a teen and what a mess and to top it off I never once saw an inspector. Gross.
But what other choice do common folk have but to trust those that provide us our milk.
I for the most part also drink store bought milk but only because sometimes there is no other alternative.

·
Registered
37 Posts
We do raw. I have found it to have a lot of health benefits. My husband has a lot of allergies and stomach issues. A week of drinking raw milk fixes 90% his problems!

·
11,090 Posts
I drink store bought when I have to, but I buy it from a certified humane source ... the factory farming ticks me big time. Humane may be more expensive but if I can afford it, I would much rather support the places that do it right. I can't imagine my precious goats being treated that way -- why should I allow the animals whom are gifting me their milk to be treated that way either, even if I have never seen their faces?

·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We do raw. I have found it to have a lot of health benefits. My husband has a lot of allergies and stomach issues. A week of drinking raw milk fixes 90% his problems!
Sometimes it's hard to believe what is said over all types of media but its hard to argue with results. I'm glad you have found positive things about raw milk it calms my worries about what FDA/CDC says.

I'm sure raw milk can be dangerous when handled in an industrialized manner. But when done right I'm sure it is full of health benefits. I haven't experienced anything like this myself because of the small amounts i drink but I can say for sure that it is extremely yummy.

·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@threehavens I wish I could find good milk near my home but in order to find anything like that id have to drive 60+ miles :(

·
11,090 Posts
Sorry about that. :( We go to the grocery store and there are smaller cartons, I think one is Horizon Farms, that is certified humane with pastured cows.

·
Look for me in the barn...
1,074 Posts
We do raw. We get our milk tested every month and so far, so good. We're super careful about sanitation and proper handling. :)

I would drink raw milk from some other sources, provided I could visit the farm and see how things are handled there. But it's definitely something you need to use common sense about! But honestly, I'd go buy raw milk from the guy down the road who has a permit to sell it sooner than I'd buy organic, grass-fed, pasteurized from the store.

·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry about that. :( We go to the grocery store and there are smaller cartons, I think one is Horizon Farms, that is certified humane with pastured cows.
Next time I go to Safeway ill look to see what they have that's only like 40 miles from where I live lol

·
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We do raw. We get our milk tested every month and so far, so good. We're super careful about sanitation and proper handling. :)

I would drink raw milk from some other sources, provided I could visit the farm and see how things are handled there. But it's definitely something you need to use common sense about! But honestly, I'd go buy raw milk from the guy down the road who has a permit to sell it sooner than I'd buy organic, grass-fed, pasteurized from the store.
Good to hear that you also drink raw this makes me more confident about it being safe. After taking all precautions of course.

What do you test your milk for?

·
11,090 Posts
Another great thing about raw milk -- it's antibacterial. It's just ... way too many benefits for me to remember and post on here XDD SO GOOD.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts