The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm worried about my yearling doe, Sugar. She has raw patches on her face and belly. The patch on her belly is definitely worse than on her face. More raw. I've been cleaning the areas with betadine, and then putting Red Kote on it. (Antiseptic). I don't see any evidence of mites, but I don't know how hard they are to see. I would think the other goats would be having a hard time too. And also, no signs of trouble around her ears. She does seem more generally itchy then the other goats. Always rubbing up against walls and stuff. But interestingly, he'd coat is shinier than all the other goats.
Anybody have ideas??

Attachments

·
Registered
31,481 Posts
Mites cause irritation..goats will rub and scratch and many times caused raw patches..you cant see mites but as Karen said you see the damage they do...A vet can take a scraping of the patches and look under a microscope and tell you what youre dealing with, mites create flaky skin, dry patches, raw spots, goats lose weight over the stress.....Ivomec given sub Q 3 times a week apart will take care of Mites...1 cc per 40#..

·
Registered
31,481 Posts
Awe poor thing...that might be staph...the ones on her face ...is it in an area that could be traferes from her cleaning her belly??

·
Super Moderator
59,771 Posts
I would treat her for mites. You must inject the Ivomec at 1cc per 40 lbs. Do 3 times, 10 days apart. I would also treat for staph and wash those areas with chlorhexidine. I also think she needs antibiotics like Penicillin or something. I would do that for 7 days.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
raw patches

Thank you to all!
You guys have been so helpful. I dusted her with a powder today before I saw all these posts. I hope that was a smart thing to do. I'm going to bring her into the vet tomorrow. All of your suggestions sound right on, but I'm kind of a beginner at all this, and I think I'm in over my head. If it is Staph, which sounds very possible, I definitely don't want to mess around with that. I wish it wasn't night, because I would bring her in right now. Feeling like I probably should have brought her in today. Poor Sugar :(
The good news is that she's eating and drinking just fine.
What is everyone's feeling with the Python insecticide dusting powder? I read about it, and it seems like its safe, but there were a lot of cautions on the label. made me felt a little uneasy, but I felt kind of desperate to try to help her if they were mites. The guy at the feed store told me it wouldn't hurt her or the others, if they didn't have mites.

·
Super Moderator
59,771 Posts
Won't really help mites. Ivomec works best for mites. I do think it is best for you to take her in to the vet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts