Rawness from Scours

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by CircusMum, May 18, 2018.

1. CircusMum

CircusMum New Member

Mar 27, 2018
    My eight week old doe has had scours for a few days. I've been doing my best to keep her clean and dry, but her vulva is irritated and bleeding a bit from constant exposure to the diarrhea and from frequent washing. I can't imagine this is comfortable. Is there anything I can do to protect that skin?

2. CircusMum

CircusMum New Member

Mar 27, 2018
    Also, I apologize for the placement of this thread. I'm trying to get the hang of this forum and thought I was posting in the health thread. Sorry!

3. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

I use anti-monkey butt cream. You can get it at Wal-Mart.

4. ISmellLikeGoats

ISmellLikeGoats Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Vaseline will work if you have it handy until you can get some diaper rash ointment. Just dry the area well but gently and apply.

5. CircusMum

CircusMum New Member

Mar 27, 2018
    Thank you. I’ve only had one other goat scour and that buckling was far easier to keep clean than this poor doe!

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the remedy's.
    Sorry she is raw. :(

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I moved your thread to health and wellness.

8. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Hopefully you found the cause of the scours????

9. lifesabtchlearn2deal

lifesabtchlearn2deal Active Member

Mar 26, 2018
    I agree my vet told me diaper rash cream is the best rout for rawness. But getting the scours under control would be priority

10. Einhorn

Einhorn Active Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Have you tried any probiotics, or gut support? I have found that goat milk yogurt is very good.

aJadeMagnolia likes this.
  11. CircusMum

CircusMum New Member

Mar 27, 2018
    My vet did a fecal this morning since the usual go-tos weren’t clearing things up. My other doe started to scour last night and the vet put them both on antibiotics for coccidia. They’re eating, drinking and behaving normally. Both are getting electrolytes between feedings and probios. The one that got sick last night has already improved to nearly normal. The one that got sick first has improved from straight liquid to cow pies, so at least it’s not all over her legs now. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and concern, I appreciate it.