? re amount of milk for bottle babies

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by rgbdab, Dec 21, 2008.

1. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    It has been more than 4 years since I had a bottle baby and I can't really remember how many oz to per feeding or total amount of oz for a day. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

I have 2 bottle babies, Alvin is 4 days old and Cory is 5 days old. They are boers and Cory weighed 7.2 and Alvin weighed 6.1 Cory is big and healthy and will take as much milk as I will give, so I want to be sure I don't overindulge him. The other is Alvin and he was weak at birth. He couldn't stand on his own for 24 hours and his mom didn't get any colostrum/milk until about 30 hourse after he was born. He will only take 2-3 oz at a time and it takes awhile to accomplish the feeding. He needs to get all the milk that is good for him to get stronger, but again I don't want to over or under feed them.
    The other nuance is that they are living in the house because it is 22 degrees here and I have the barn full with moms and kids, so I can feed them as often as needed.
    I hope I provided all the info you need to help me. Thanks, Denise

2. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    I have Nubians and I know that Boers need a bit more than they do in their bottles. I give my babies 4 oz. every 4 hours to start. How much is Cory drinking right now per bottle? You want them to have a nicely filled out tummy when they are done with their bottle. If his tummy is bulging then he's taking too much and you can cut back on the amount you are giving him. But if his tummy is not sunken nor bulging when he's done eating then you are giving him the right amount.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have always fed my newbies every 2 hours and pretty much let them eat what they want. Then I gradually move to 3 hours and then 4 hours apart - and trying to start them with some hay and pellets at two weeks.

Do you have them out with the herd? They will learn to start eating the hay alot faster if they are with the herd and learn to "be a goat" instead of a dog...... if you wanted

4. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    Thanks for the info!

They aren't living with the herd, but when it's nice outside they will hang out with them while I'm out ther doing chores etc. Hopefully that will be enough to help them learn to be goats. As they get bigger and stronger I will move them out of the house and into their own pen for when I'm gone and at night and let them with the others when I'm out with them.

It takes Alvin 3 or 4 latch ons over an hours time to take 3 oz. but Cory takes 6 ozs at once and would take more if there was any. So I am feeding Alvin whenever he will eat for the moment, but will work on spreading it out as he gets stronger.

So about 24 ozs a day for now?

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if they are having that kind of trouble then try a new nipple. I would feed them as often as they will eat since they are nto getting large amounts at a time.

6. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I do feedings every 4 hours or so for the first few days - about 1/2 - 1/2 pint a go depending on how much they want.

Then after the first week or so feed 4 times a day (7.30, 12, 5 and 11) 1/2 pint a time
    after the first month go down to 3 times a day 3/4 pint morning and evening and 1/2 pint at lunch time

they get ad lib grain from just a week or two of age and hay

LW