? Re: CAE testing: would you or wouldn't you?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by MissMM, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  1. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I'm going to check out some goats for sale either tomorrow or Monday. The breeder said she has owned the goats for 2 years and they were CAE free when she bought them. She hasn't had them tested since, but the goats haven't left her property nor have other animals come on to it since she has had them.

Would you purchase a goat w/o current CAE testing if they appeared to look healthy otherwise?

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I am thinking in this particular case, I would go for it. IF it is true that they have not been exposed to any other goats whatsoever and did truly test clear before she purchased then I don't see a problem with it.

Sometimes I've noticed people thinking their goats are "CAE-free" just because there are no signs in their herd and this is not the case. While I don't believe testing is truly accurate either. I heard of a doe who tested positive for CAE every year and never exhibited signs of the disease, even lived a long healthy, productive life. I would just make sure that they were really tested before she bought them and not just told that they were clear. Jmho.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    IMHO - NO way would I bring them to my property without testing or paper proof that they were tested and no other animals have been on the property since.

This is what happened to me - a friend asked if I would take half of her heard as a "partnership" because they were moving. She said that they came from a CAE, CL, Johnes negative herd, but didn't have any paperwork to substantiate it. No other animals had been on the property since she bought the small herd and bred.

I went out and tested all 15 of her animals for all 3 diseases. 7 of the 15 came back CAE positive. They were gorgeous looking - no signs at all that they were sick!

Just something to think about. It is a small fee to pay to possibly save the rest of your herd.

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i sure wouldn't bring them in without proof.

all the goats i've bought were from cae cl and johnes neg herds and the breeders had current paperwork to prove it.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I said yes because CAE is only transmitted through milk. I am not a big tester advocate though I am not against it. It depends on how big a deal testing is to you. Oh and it never hurts to ask for proof that testing was done.

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

If you are wanting to maintain a CAE free herd i would have them tested.For one goats can convert from negative to positive, There is a such thing as a false negative. And just because she said she hasnt had any other goats doesnt mean she is being truthful I ALWAYS want to give the person the benifit of the doubt and belive them but i have had cases where they havnt told the truth. Not so much in goats. But i bought a POA foal a few years ago. The lady said that she was up to date on her worming. I believed her. A week after i brough the foal home she coliced and got herself cast in the stall several times. We had the vet out but it was too lateshe had already twised her gut. The reason for the colic was worms. Now if i had done a fecal and had the filly wormed a couple of times. I would still have my pony. i would rather pay the money to have it done then find out a few months down the road that they were positive and had my entire herd exposed to that.
    beth

7. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    This is a tricky one. You can often ask. I personally have bought from a herd who doesn't test but has tested before. That's Buttin'heads. I then tested all 3 after they joined my herd and were indeed negative. So its up to you, the reputation of the herd in question and I would suggest quarantining and testing them when they get there if they don't test for you before you buy. That would be your expense though.

8. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

I bought my does from a long-established goat dairy who has only fed pasturized colostrum to all its' babies for years. The does never raise or touch their own kids. And only the highest quality bucks and does have been added to the herd over the years. So, I am assuming my does are CAE negative, but even if I have them tested and the results are negative, the test could come back positive in two years, even if my goats aren't around any other goats.

If I was a breeder, and my main business was providing good genetics for a certain breed, I think I would have to test and go to any lenghts necessary to keep a disease-free herd. But since none of the diseases discussed have an impact on human health, I am not going to worry about goats being kept or sold solely for individual, personal use.

I am glad some folks go to all the trouble to maintain, as much as is possible, clean herds. That's why I was willing to pay the price for my does -- I'm buying peace of mind with registered stock from a reputable herd. But that's as far as I'm going. Any kids I sell will not be registered, will not be marketed as CAE-free and will be priced accordingly.

9. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    I would probably test them just to be sure.

10. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

Well, in reviewing the notes I made when I bought my goats, I was told that they had been tested and were CAE neg. I didn't ask for any written confirmation, but saw enough records, meticulous for all the goats, and was given the vet's name, so I feel secure that I was given true and accurate information.

However, I don't plan to keep up the testing and I have decided to let the kids from these does be raised by the does and not be bottle-fed except in the event the doe is not able to raise the kid(s).

11. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Well, I went to check out the goaties today. There was only 1 goat of the 9+ left that even interested me (fiber goats...... the others were type c wethers.... more work than it's worth). She was a 6 year old doe that had just freshened for the first time this past September. She had a type C (re: fleece) doeling that is very, very small for being 3 1/2 months old. Registered, but no CAE/Scrapie free proof. I didn't see anything overtly wrong with her setup or herd practices...... but I wasn't going to give her the full asking price of $450 for the pair. Mainly because I balanced my checkbook and realized i didn't have as much money as I thought I did, but they just plain aren't worth the full price for breeding stock. I would actually be reluctant to breed the mom or the doe because they're both on the very petite side.

I feel bad for this lady, but I can't risk my herd's health for unproven stock.

Bummer...... I was hoping to up my herd number to what I expected to have by now (after losing one of my new doelings to a shipping accident last fall) but it doesn't look like it's going to happen this way.

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh thats to bad :( but you went with yoru gut and you will be apreciative of that later