re disbudding???

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by thephatlady, Sep 6, 2009.

1. thephatlady

thephatlady Guest

Jul 28, 2009
    My little nubie buckling is developing scurs.I was told I could just re-disbudd him. Has anyone out there done this? I have only disbudded one time before.Would I just center the iron on the scur bud and procede as if it were a normal disbudding? I realy don't want him to develope scurs HELP !

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if the scurs arent to big then yes you can just go over them with an iron -- if they are to bg you may need to file them down some (never done this before though so I cant give advise on how to do so)

3. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I just had my little wether's redone by the vet....I believe the vet filed them down and then reburned....poor baby came home with head completly wrapped for a week.....but my little guy was put under because they nuetered him at the same time.

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I have gone back and disbudded a second time. Usually for people who waited too long the first time or they didnt burn long enough. If you can get the iron over the scur then i would do it.
    beth

5. thephatlady

thephatlady Guest

Jul 28, 2009
    Thank you for the good advice. I gathered up my courage and did it.My daughter helped me, we took our time and gave the poor little guy a few recovery min. between applications of the iron.It is so much harder when they are 6 weeks old!! I think we got it all :pray: , I realy don't want to do that again.