RE Goat ownt eat & more.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Hidden Waters Farm, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    Ok, I decided to post this even though I feel like a fool :oops: , I accepted Its for the goats sake.

My other topic can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17345

So, My Lamancha doe is Not dead. Apparently what happened is she was asleep and didnt realize she was being petted (or figured a goat was brushing by her). Her gopher ears are filled with gunk so I dont think she could hear me calling her name nor did she answer her sisters call like usual. I left her in her stall (without a stethoscope check because she appeared lifeless.) so I could feed everyone and when I cam back to move her there she was ready to get her hay and grain. :shocked: Can you can imagine what that is like?

So I gave her another dose of Probois and she seems to be returning to normal, I did hear gut sounds. Her Temp today is 100.5 so its coming up from 97.2 as I posted before. From the other topic things recommended are:

1.Getting a fecal done for cocci and worms. In the process.
    2.An injection of B Complex. Where do I buy it?
    3.Doing a white blood cell count. Getting a tube, Would a Syringe to the vet work?

Questions I have:

1.How should I go about getting her back up to weight?
    2.What should I use to clean her ears out? I have been using Peroxide to loosen the gunk and then wiping them out. The gunk is inside and not visible by looking at the ear.
    3. Whats the next step?

Thank you, Hope you understand :roll: .

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hey thats ok :hug: its good that she isnt dead!

as to the blood work -- a syringe to the vet should work but call them first because they might not take the sample of blood unless they see the goat and pull the blood themselves. I hope this isnt the case for you though.

3. Hidden Waters Farm

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    This vet trys to do the best for us so I dont think he will mind, but I will definitely call first.

Thanks.

4. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    :ROFL: I love it! Much better outcome than we all thought.

You can get B complex at Tractor Supply.
    Double check with vet if you can bring in blood sample. Most vets are fine with it since they don't have to do it. :)
    I have used alfalfa cubes and some beet pulp shreds with good hay to help with weight gain. I also keep baking soda out for them. Just introduce new things slowly. You can also add a small handful of black oil sunflower seeds. (BOSS) Adds a very nice shine to the coat. :greengrin:
    I do the same thing with the ears when dirty. If they have an odor, take a sample to the vet to check for mites. Also check her skin to see if she has lice or mites. They can bring her down along with tummy worms. You can dust her with DE or Seven Dust. I use Seven Dust cause I can get it at TSC or Walmart.
    Good luck and prayers for her quick recovery to the living world. Would have been real creepy if it happened on Halloween. You could have nicknamed her Zombie. :laugh:

Gina

5. Hidden Waters Farm

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    Actually I have the worst luck on holidays so Im surprised as well.
    Ill get right on everything, Im happy she is ok but still feel foolish lol.

Thanks.

6. melb1

melb1 New Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    :) That's great news. Must have really spun you out!!

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Don't feel foolish....My goats are healthy and my older doe will sleep thru me calling her etc. Scared the crap outa me a few times cause she wouldn't move til I went and shook her.

The B Complex as well as syringes and needles can be purchased from Tractor Supply, adding beet pulp helped my pygmy buck but I also added a bit of corn oil to his normal 18% ration.