Re: is doe weaning her kid? snow white is dead.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by minibarn, Nov 25, 2010.

1. minibarn

minibarn Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    my doe lily has a single doeling almost 4 weeks old. would she already be trying to wean her? doeling has been very vocal the last couple days, screaming and making short hiccuppy sounds at her mother and everybody, especially if she tried to nurse and wasn't allowed by mom. yesterday aft i noticed lily's udder looking very tight and later evening i forced her to let baby nurse. this a.m. i did it again but lily's udder wasn't nearly as tight. so maybe she had already nursed this a.m.? now this aft doeling is screaming and crying again whenever i come out. is she just upset her mother is trying to wean her? nothing wrong with lily's udder that i could see or feel. other babies we've had never made such a racket when their mothers kicked them away! :shrug:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Re: is doe weaning her kid?

Check the kids tummy... is it full or empty?

Also ...I would milk your Doe out a bit and see... if the stream is coming out fine....
    and not clogged .... and see if her milk looks OK with no clumps ....blood ect... take out enough... so she isn't bulging sore.... then put the kid on her....
    sounds like ...the kid isn't sucking enough... for mom to be comfortable... she may be sore and not allowing her kid to nurse... milk out some...daily...if you have to.... so she will allow her kid to nurse...also... teach the kid to suckle from both sides.....until you want her to be weaned....sounds like... mom is a good milker and her kid .....just isn't keeping up..... :wink:

3. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada

well, baby's tummy seems full. lily's milk looks fine and her udder doesn't seem to be bulging but whenever i'm there, i see lily refuse her baby to nurse. but it does seem like she must be getting enough. i have held lily's collar a couple times so she stands still and baby right away nurses. i guess we just have a very vocal kid who doesn't like not getting her own way! :p

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Glad everything is OK.....yep if the belly is full.... the baby is just verbal...LOL

Check for Milk Goiter...soft swelling ...will begin to appear.. at about a week of age.... under the chin......... that means... the kid is getting alot of milk..... :wink: :greengrin:

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

some kids are just more vocal then others. That mom is allowing her kid to nurse but only when you arent looking -- otherwise her udder would be tight and full. The kid can suck faster and she knows it so she doesnt have to stand as long and as often.

6. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri

I love watching babies suckle. so cute. But yeah, sounds like she don't like you watching! :)

7. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

When our kids were about that age I remember the doe's only letting them nurse here and there, not every time they wanted it. We had one buckling who was soooooooooooooooooo vocal, his nickname was 'noisy.'
    So I agree, if the doeling is doing well, has a full belly, I'd think mama is just letting her nurse when she is ready. At least I hope that is the case :)

8. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    i feel horrible but i believe lily had quit nursing snow white about 4-5 weeks old and she died at 8 weeks old. we were away for the wknd at christmas and came home to a dead snow white. the day before we left i thought maybe she's a little off. she was looking quite bloated so i gave baking soda water and she had clumpy poo. earlier in the week i had noticed runny poo. i had to leave so thot i could maybe get her checked out when we get back. she had been eating hay and drinking out of the water bucket so she was getting something but obviously not enough nutrition. i had quit looking closely at lily's udder when i thot she was nursing ok again. after i found snow white dead, i checked lily and her udder was dried up. she'd had LOTS of milk for 4 wks so it seems she purposefully quit nursing too soon. has anyone else had this happen? will lily be a bad mother again? i would have gladly supplemented if i had only known she wasn't getting enough! she was trying so hard to tell me every time i was in the barn! i'm sooo sorry, snow white! :(

9. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    Sorry u lost ur baby...don't beat urself up...I learn daily from my mistakes but I feel like there is sometimes no other way to learn... :hug:

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    im sorry you lost your kid :( more then likely she died from coccidia then from lack of milk as the signs where there indicating that she had some kind of parasite (worms or coccidia).

has mom or been treated for parasites? what kind of feed is she on? sometimes these can play a major role in if mom can keep up production.

how good of a mom was she for the first 4 weeks? was she attentive or was she lax in that area? some FF never really bond with their kids especially if they are let out with the herd to soon after kidding (I like to leave them stalled for 5-7days for real good bonding).

A lot of factors there to think about before saying whether or not she will be a good or bad mom next go around

11. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    :hug: So sorry about Snow White..

12. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm sorry too to hear about Snow White :(

13. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    i did think of coccidia too. that's what i was going to treat for the week after we got back from holidays. both mom & baby had been dewormed a couple times with ivomec a few weeks before. lily & baby had 5 days to bond before being put with herd but i did think she was less protective of her baby than my other does have been. i don't know lily's history but we did get her grown daughter with her 2 yrs ago so she must have been able to raise her alright. she's a doe with more of an attitude than the rest. she's bossy, doesn't like to be touched anywhere and seems like a holier-than-thou kind of personality. this is the doe that had a c-section the last time. i'll probably give her one more chance at being a mom and see what happens.

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am so sorry that you lost littel Snow White, but I have a question for you. :hug: Snow White was only 5 weeks old and already dewormed a couple times? Did mom get her CDT 2-4 weeks before Snow White arrived?

I find it hard to believe it was Cocci just becasue of the time of year, now I so could be wrong. What is teh weather like there? The Cocci will only live in warm areas, so I know here it is way to cold, that is why I like to kid this time of year.

15. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX
    Oh no so sorry for your loss :hug:

It so hard to loose them. Hopefully any future kiddings you have will be good healthy kids.

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry for your loss....it is very sad.... :( :hug:

17. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    lily had her cd&t shot 3 weeks before kidding and was dewormed with ivomec twice soon after kidding. her baby snow white was dewormed at 4 & 6 weeks old and died at 8 weeks. i didn't know cocci is more prevalent in warm months. this is ontario and it's been below freezing since end of nov. thankyou all for caring! :grouphug:

18. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Pretty much anywhere there is a single pellet of poop....there is a good chance of coccidiosis present.
    That's just a preventative concept...but it's very true... seems like Cocci is everywhere!

19. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    i also wondered whether she might have gotten dehydrated if she wasn't nursing the last 3 weeks. i did see her sip water quite often but maybe it wasn't enough. :? it's certainly been another lesson learned for me and i will pay closer attention when i have more babies here. the first ones are due the end of this month. i can't wait! :drool: