The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Can always put them together when she grows up and "suddenly" have a foal!
Lol "suddenly" well she is just a baby now and the mini stud is getting up there in age. May get one out if him if he is still around when she is ready.

Well both of mine have been bred out of Shetland in their lines but bred down to miniature horse size abd confirmation. Minis are much better than Shetland lol they are bred from Shetland but the confirmation is fined and they are sneaky little horses lol. My filly keeps dumping water buckets now. So she has 3 buckets and planning to put low bucket hangers tomorrow. She has soaked the bucket corner of the stall playing in them.

·
Registered
Raising Nigerian Dwarf goats as backyard milkers.
2,542 Posts
Oh that's too bad! He was beautiful.
I hope you can get horses again one day! They are such wonderful animals.
I hope so too! Our barn is actually set up more for horses than for goats. I’m gonna figure out how I’m gonna have my goats set up for milking and pens before I seriously look for another horse.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
@DDFN My Shetland gelding has always done that! If you figure out a way to outsmart yours, let me know! Lol He was the first full Shetland I got and he is one goofy two year old now!

Yes, all minis are bred from the original Shetland ponies, but when I say Shetland, I am referring to the American Shetlands, Arabian x Hackney crosses. It is only within the last decade that they now have Shetlands who are also miniature size and they have modernized the miniature breeds tremendously. True triple (AMHA, AMHR, ASPC) horses are in high demand because there are still not very many. My Shetlands are all Classics, I don't care much for the Foundations and Moderns are just crazy! Lol

My stallion is full Shetland and A size, though he will have to hardship when he's 5. Here he is as a yearling.
Plant Tree Liver Fawn Grass

Horse Working animal Tree Liver Sorrel

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I hope so too! Our barn is actually set up more for horses than for goats. I’m gonna figure out how I’m gonna have my goats set up for milking and pens before I seriously look for another horse.
That sounds like a good plan.
One of the fun parts about getting my minis was that I could just use my old Nubian sized kidding stalls for them!

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
@DDFN My Shetland gelding has always done that! If you figure out a way to outsmart yours, let me know! Lol He was the first full Shetland I got and he is one goofy two year old now!

Yes, all minis are bred from the original Shetland ponies, but when I say Shetland, I am referring to the American Shetlands, Arabian x Hackney crosses. It is only within the last decade that they now have Shetlands who are also miniature size and they have modernized the miniature breeds tremendously. True triple (AMHA, AMHR, ASPC) horses are in high demand because there are still not very many. My Shetlands are all Classics, I don't care much for the Foundations and Moderns are just crazy! Lol

My stallion is full Shetland and A size, though he will have to hardship when he's 5. Here he is as a yearling.
View attachment 222626
View attachment 222627
My mini stud never played with buckets and I got him as a colt. I will let you know if the anti play hangers work lol. I just worry she will play with a bucket and manage to get it around her little head being so small. Silly filly.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
My mini stud never played with buckets and I got him as a colt. I will let you know if the anti play hangers work lol. I just worry she will play with a bucket and manage to get it around her little head being so small. Silly filly.
Same here! I have to be very creative, but so far it hasn't slowed him down. This is the only one who has ever done it. But to be fair, everything in his stall or pasture is a toy to him!

·
8,971 Posts
Wow, Shetlands have come a long way since I had them as a kid, half a century ago. Every farm kid had a pony- you either learned how to ride and loved horses, or
got tossed off alot and hated them- farm ponies were a dime a dozen. My next one was an ex pulling pony- Nellie, She taught me how to tighten girths after
she blew her belly tight, until you got on, the suddenly, the saddle slipped. I spent alot of times under that pony! ( I was 9 years old) Funny how my mom never
seemed worried- she just turned us loose and said- if you break something, come home! I assumed she meant equipment, Now I think she meant bones! :oops:

You have beautiful animals!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thank you! I really enjoy them!

That is so funny!! Oh those fat and fuzzy, often temperamental, little ponies are still around! And they are still notorious for that exact same attitude! But the American Shetland is like a different breed.

Some history......

The American Shetland Pony is an American breed of pony. It derives from the traditional Shetland Pony from the Shetland Isles of Scotland, but as a result of cross-breeding with other horse and pony breeds, is taller and more elegant.  It does not have the thick coat of the traditional Shetland, and in conformation is more similar to the Hackney Pony, with some Arab influence. It is the most numerous pony breed in the United States; numbers in 1994 were estimated at over 50,000.

The first documented importation of Shetland Ponies to the United States was in 1885, when Eli Elliot imported seventy-five of them. A breed association, the American Shetland Pony Club, was formed in 1888. The original stock was crossbred with various other breeds, principally the Hackney Pony. Arabian, Harness Show Pony and Welsh breeds were also used. The result was a taller and more elegant pony than the classic Shetland, with longer legs and finer bone, high withers and a sloping shoulder, and a high action particularly well-suited to harness work. It does not have the thick coat of the traditional Shetland, but supposedly retains the hardiness and endurance of that breed; in conformation it is more similar to the Hackney Pony, also showing some Arab influence.

American Shetland Ponies may be registered in the American Shetland Pony Club stud book, in one of four sections: foundation, classic, modern, and modern pleasure; they are distinguished by minor variations in conformation.

The American Shetland Pony is well-suited to harness use. It may be used as a roadster to pull sulkies, or in fine harness pulling two-wheeled or four-wheeled carts. It may be ridden under either a Western or English saddle, and is also shown at Halter.

https://www.shetlandminiature.com/registries/aspc-registry

This link has pictures and descriptions of the different types, mine are classics, the easiest to find under 38", thus making them also miniatures. True under 34" miniature Shetlands are the rarest and most desired.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Same here! I have to be very creative, but so far it hasn't slowed him down. This is the only one who has ever done it. But to be fair, everything in his stall or pasture is a toy to him!
I had to take the small low sided water trough out of the pasture right now with the cold weather because she kept getting in it. Didn't want her getting a cold from being silly.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Wow, Shetlands have come a long way since I had them as a kid, half a century ago. Every farm kid had a pony- you either learned how to ride and loved horses, or
got tossed off alot and hated them- farm ponies were a dime a dozen. My next one was an ex pulling pony- Nellie, She taught me how to tighten girths after
she blew her belly tight, until you got on, the suddenly, the saddle slipped. I spent alot of times under that pony! ( I was 9 years old) Funny how my mom never
seemed worried- she just turned us loose and said- if you break something, come home! I assumed she meant equipment, Now I think she meant bones! :oops:

You have beautiful animals!
I grew up on saddlebreds because the pony my uncle got my sister was a biter. She would stick her tongue out at you but she would also bite a hunk too. Never had the pony experience everyone else did as a kid. Yeah pretty sure it wasn't tack they were referring too. Sorry. Lol. Had always wanted a hackney but ended up with my mini stud because he was at a friend's barn. He had a stifle issue and later needed surgery. He stole my heart. Then got the recent filly for my big filly.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Oh wow! Thankfully I don't have any like that! Mine have learned to enjoy baths in the summer, but none play in the water troughs. Drop large chunks of grass in, yes. Lol Had a horse once who used to pull up grass by the roots and swish it in the water trough to rinse off the dirt!

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
So cute!!!!! We have a mini mare that's due to foal any time now. She is on day 330. This is our first time on foal watch. Your pictures are making the wait harder! ❤
You know we are gonna want pictures when she foals 😁

·
Registered
Raising Nigerian Dwarf goats as backyard milkers.
2,542 Posts
Oh wow! Thankfully I don't have any like that! Mine have learned to enjoy baths in the summer, but none play in the water troughs. Drop large chunks of grass in, yes. Lol Had a horse once who used to pull up grass by the roots and swish it in the water trough to rinse off the dirt!
No way! 🤣 I wouldn’t want to eat dirt either.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts