Ready or not here it comes

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by fivemoremiles, Oct 29, 2019.

1. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    For the last two days i have been getting ready for the arctic blast of cold that was coming. I put new bedding in the goat barns. Then I made sure that water tank heaters were working.
    made sure that the extension cords were up off the ground. i do this so the cords don't freeze to the ground. don't short out when the snow melts and the plugs don't rust. making sure the cords are out of the reach of the goats is a challenge.
    set up the hay feeders and repaired some. then filled with hay.
    the wind and snow hit before i got the hay fed boy was it cold.
    this morning the wind has died down and the sun is out
    I hate seeing the sun after a blizzard the temp is 2F
    i am afraid it is going to be a long winter.

2. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    (((((Hugs))))) We're having a weird "Indian Summer" here. It's been unseasonably warm. Sorry you are getting slammed already!!!!

3. Robinsonfarm

Robinsonfarm Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2015
    We're getting a cold blast right now as well, last night I put out the tank heaters and fed some hay. They have access to decent fall pasture and get some grain at night, but it was windy and cold last night and only going to get colder so they get some extra feed until this passes.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  4. fivemoremiles

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    the crazy thing is on Saturday i was in my shirt sleeves working on the barns.
    this is the second go around for us the first of Oct. we had a major snow storm that stopped all the corn and grain harvest. there was about 10% of the crop still standing in the field. it is laying now in the field.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sounds brutal, keep safe. :hug:

6. Oliveoil

Oliveoil Active Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Wisconsin
    We have some storms coming across us this week too. I just moved the goats up to their barn--where they stay for the winter on Sunday, which was a gorgeous day. Last night we got a couple of inches of snow and Thursday it is supposed to snow again. Happy Halloween!

GoofyGoat likes this.
  7. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    We have been preparing for colder weather too..but in Texas we don't get as cold as Montana and don't stay cold nearly as long!! Right now its a brrrr 46 degrees ! Stay warm, stay safe!!

8. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Yup, it's chilly and wet here.Sunday I was out trimming hooves and doing my weekly checks in a t shirt and jeans. Today, The cold northern air is hitting, tonight we get thunderstorms but Thursday we're under a freeze warning. Before work this morning, I was putting a thick layer of fresh straw in the barns and tarping over the doorways to minimize heat loss and overfilling the hay feeders. My goaties are hating the wet but enjoying the cold they're running around feeling frisky :)

Trollmor and Iluvlilly! like this.
  9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. Oliveoil

Oliveoil Active Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Wisconsin
    I think it is fascinating to see what people in the southern part of the country, or other countries consider cold, 46 degrees for us is normal fall weather. It is crazy for me to think that there are places that it doesn't even snow in winter--in my mind what is winter without snow!

Iluvlilly! and Robinsonfarm like this.
  11. Robinsonfarm

Robinsonfarm Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2015
    I think its interesting too, we dont get nearly as cold as some parts of the country. We're normally around 35ish for highs during the winter and low 20s or teens for the winter, but we get cold snaps with negative temps and high winds.
    Tomorrow our high is 25 and a low of 8.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  12. Oliveoil

Oliveoil Active Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Wisconsin
    We get pretty cold during the winter, but not quite as cold as Northern Wisconsin.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  13. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Been chilly here on and off. Goes down to 30 some nights then back up to 60. It is still unusually warm for this time of year. Until this Friday, then we have a temperature drop.

Sunday night will be 29F.

Not too bad for us, as we’ve gone into -12 below last winter, but we are in a different situation this winter with the goats.

They have a barn so will stay much warmer now. I’ll be adding straw for the first time before Sunday night when the temp drops; but we also don’t have a hot and cold water source anymore... which means I can’t bring them out hot water (darn!!)

I got a heated water bucket but it just keeps it at 45-50 degrees, not warm. So that’s a bummer.

14. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    For me... ready or not here it CAME! We got hit with 14" of snow last Thursday, had two days of nice weather (Saturday was in the 60's), then got blasted again. It started with freezing rain on Sunday followed by 8" of snow yesterday. It let up just long enough to spit on its hands (and for me to haul water) and today it snowed gently all day and gave us a few more inches. I'm not sure I approve of January weather in October but I guess it beats drought and wildfire season. I only hope I bought enough hay to last the winter! My husband and I are thinking of dressing as Santa and Mrs. Claus for Halloween.

NigerianNewbie and GoofyGoat like this.
  15. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    It's funny, I've lived all over the country and mostly in cold weather states and it's true that we don't get as cold here. That said, we are wet and rainy for 3 days, and that does not help goats who haven't had time to get a good undercoat going.We we're in the 80s 5 days ago... If it was cold and dry I probably wouldn't worry quite as much.

Trollmor likes this.
  16. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Be safe out there! Sunday I was building on my birthing barn in 75°. Now Tuesday..fog, mist, cold winds, gray skys..& 41°. Getting ready for 30s and oh boy...(not really) snow. The ground is mushy..wind is cold...and I still need to move 2 round bales of hay. My goats are prego..and due in December. They all look healthy and are eating everything they can! So much for fall..

GoofyGoat likes this.
  17. fivemoremiles

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    wow the sheep busted through that first round bail of hay in just one day. i am wondering if i have enough hay. last year i fed my first bail on thanksgiving and it sat there for three weeks. tonight it will be -5 but no wind thank goodness

tonight i have the tractors and my one ton pickup sitting at the doors of my shop so i can plug them in in the morning

18. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds like fun. Hope you have a source for hay. Around me in Ohio, hay is scarce with the rainy spring and dry summer.

goatblessings likes this.
  19. fivemoremiles

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    we had a huge hay crop but a long winter will eat that up fast

Trollmor likes this.
  20. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Hay is very worrisome!