Ready to kid...or is she gonna wait?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Froggy, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Froggy

Froggy New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    My 2nd freshener Nigi/pygmy doe, Olive, is due tomorrow (when it's gonna be 35degrees tops, and perhaps with an inch of snow.) :)

Anyhow...this morning, her udder was fairly-normal sized, as it has been for the last week. When I put the goats in this evening, I noticed she was waddling (she is pretty deep/big), but then I looked closer, and checked, and yep, her udder has DOUBLED in size. But she's not really dropped, and her ligaments are still pretty hard...

is it possible that because she's so deep, I can't really tell that she's ''dropped''? Can a goat drop in just a few hours? As for her ligaments, how long does it take a doe to go from hard to soft? :?
    I think she's gonna go tomorrow afternoon...just because we're not going to be home :roll:

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ohhhh the joys of kidding ...... LOL

I have had does that have horribly dropped to where their spines stick straight up and look like they are skin and bones - then I have had others, such as wicked who kidded 12 days ago, that never dropped - but she also plopped out trips out of that tiny tiny body!! I think it really depends on their body type and how many/how big the kiddos are.

As far as ligs - I have never had one have full ligs and then be kidding in 12 hours. Typically you will start to feel them loosening a bit, then sinking, then go away and then usually within 12 - 24 hours they kid - "typically"! LOL! But then again - every doe is different!!

3. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    My girl who is about to go had a small udder that doubled in size over night, then she continued to be the exact same for about a week with relatively strong ligaments. She won't go until those ligs are gone, in my experience. Just as Allison said, once they are gone 12-24 is the normal window for kidding.

4. Froggy

Froggy New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Her ligs seem to be a little loose....but my other doe, Phantom, who's on day 144, has looser ligs....
    I've put Olive in the kidding stall, just in case, but maybe I'll take her out...

Day 150 tomorrow....I hope she doesn't keep me waiting for a week!

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I know... the wait is torture.... :hug:

6. jglfainters

jglfainters New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Nevada
    It's frustrating, huh...I'm waiting on my doe who is also due tomorrow :)

I was supposed to drive to California tomorrow but now I'm sending my husband because she keeps making me think she's going to go. Her ligs have been mushy for a few days. Last night, I couldn't hardly feel them and then today I can feel them again a little. Yesterday she was stretching and acting like she was having some light contractions. Today, nothing. :roll:

I hope your doe doesn't make you wait forever! and that she kids out easily :)

7. Froggy

Froggy New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Day 151
    this morning I checked her & her ligs are still firm. Her udder, however, is even Bigger, and her teats are filling. Also, her rump is steeper and she had some white discharge. But she's acting normal--right now out grazing with all the other goats :)

8. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Seems like she will go soon. Just keep checking her ligaments, and when you can no longer find them, check on her once an hour. That is what I do and haven't missed a birth yet.