Ready to sell my buck *rant*

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by RPC, Nov 29, 2010.

1. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I am so tired of my buck he has been with my does threw 4 heat cycles. I know he is young but he only messes with the does if I am out there. Its like I am another buck and he is trying to compete with me. But he is lazy and only jumps half way up. I was just out there trying to get them bred. The 2 young ones got bred on there first cycle but the older does are still coming in heat. I am just ready to ship him off even though I know next year he will be tall enough to only jump halfway up and be fine. it just sucks because he is really good http://cgkboergoats.webs.com/apps/photo ... =105450884 (here is a link to a picture of him) and I want kids out of him. I don't want two unbred does hanging out till next year. Because then I will be looseing even more money then I already am. Sorry for the rant but I needed someone to talk to.

2. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I know the feeling right now, TRUST ME. I have a young Nubian buck here who is NOT doing his job...but he's young and I'm trying to be patient with him. Sigh.

3. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I know I have tried to be patient but 4 heat cycles its a little annoying.

4. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thankfully for this bugger, I don't actually own him, he just lives here. LOL.

While my very young Nigi buck is molesting anything that stands still long enough. Sigh! I may end up having mini-nubians this coming year instead of the purebred nubians I had hoped for. Ah well

5. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Atleast you are having kids. I am glad I bought the 2 bred does or we would not have 4-H kids and the human kids would be upset. Well here's to kidding 1 in January (bred doe I bought) 1 in February (the other doe I bought) 2 in late March and 2 maybe end of April beginning of May if he ever gets the deed done. He is coming out of their pen after this heat cycle whether they are bred or not because if they aren't and he breds them on their next cycle it will be too close to breeding for next year.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Have a sperm count done on him.....it may be what is going on with him.... could be low...to none... then you will know.... if that is why ....the girls aren't getting preggo ...4 cycles is quite a few..... :hug:

7. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Well he bred the 2 he just isn't getting high enough on the larger 2. The mess he is making is down on their udder/thighs not any where near where it needs to be, he is being lazy.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is frustrating....maybe put the Does in a lower area ....or have a step up... for the buck... so he can reach.... :wink:

9. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

THE SAME THING IS HAPPENING WITH MY BOY!

He wants to breed, but he just does it halfway and then gives up. I think part of the reason is my seniors are bigger than him, Im gonna try him on a younger girl and see what happens

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    The big Does are probably laughing at him.... saying ....yeah right ....your just a kid ....cause he doesn't stink enough.....so he feels intimidated..... :wink:

11. TinyHoovesRanch

OMG thats exactly whats happening lol. They give him this DEATH stare and then he runs behind me and cries lol

Its just embarassing

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    HeHe... :laugh: ..yep... the Older Does... want a real man...LOL....the stinkier the better.... :shades: .... if you have 2 bucks... side by side.... one is young.... not much of a smell--er ..and you have a older buck... that stinks to high heaven..... the Does will only want and beg for that stinky guy to breed them and butt away.... the other young.... or non smelly buck..... and just laugh at him.... :thumb:

I meant to ask....is he over weight or a good weight? ....if he is a little over..... that can possibly.. make them lazy breeders.......

Is he being fed ....any show feed....there is something in some of those feeds ....that make the buck lazy....to breed.... I think they did that... so they are more manageable at the shows... if you stop... that grain( if you are giving it) when you want to breed )...he may ....get more of an urge..... may take 2 weeks... to get out of his system....

13. TinyHoovesRanch

Well I only have him and he barely smells, but lately hes been peeing more to smell lol. Im thinking of getting a buck rag from a friend and rubbing it all over haha maybe that will work

Hes at perfect weight, just young, hes a march baby and a little on the small side, but ive been bulking him up, giving him minerals and lots of love.

It sure sucks having a newbie buck sometimes lol, my girls are just too experienced to give him any time

14. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I agree, if he is having trouble reaching them, I'd hand breed them, and have something he can stand on to reach them. They do this in the breeding shed at the thoroughbred horse farms.
    Popular horses like Smarty Jones -- most of the mares he bred were much taller than him. The breeding sheds are filled with rubber tire shavings, and they have area's around the sides where short mares stand for tall stallions, and then vice versa - tall mares stand for short stallions.
    So if you can find a way to get him up high enough for comfort, you'll have to hold the doe, and possibly have someone help you.
    But definitely make sure she is in standing heat, she might be more tolerant of the hand breeding :)

I sure hope it works for you, I know you've been trying hard to get kids for the fair.
    We're in the same boat though, as we want our oldest 2 to get into 4-H, and we want homebred kids for them to use.
    Our only registered doe aborted a month ago! She was due on Christmas :( With a buck. A BUCK! He could have been a full blooded, registered buck that we could keep if he was nice...
    That doe came in heat this week and was bred off and on for 2 days <the past two days>. So we're hopeful she took.

How old is your buck? I think in the picture you said he was 7 months old? If so he may need more time to mature. Although, I know that isn't what you want to hear.
    Definitely try to get him higher though, maybe he'll get the deed done :)

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It does suck... but ...he will catch on...with the big Does.. in time...he is intimidated by them....a buck rag may help....he needs to get motivated.... the other thing... that works is ....to get him competition...a smelly disease free buck....and pen them together.....that will really ....get him going.... especially if ...they can see the girls.....plus... he will get the smelly buck mounting him....putting that smell all over him....and at the same time... he is raring to go... :eek:hlala: :lovey: