Really bad dandruff

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Nigerian dwarf goat, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I was in Arizona for 5 days and had a pet sitter taking care of the goats. I come back yesterday evening to find the minerals feeder empty, and 4 goats with dandruff. 3 babies and their mom. One of the babies has really, really bad dandruff that goes all the way from the base of his neck to about his ribcage, and when i pet him i cam feel it. I am afraid he got into something.He is acting fine, but i was planning on giving him a bath today an brush some of it out. I have dandruff shampoo for humans and for dogs, so i will probably use both, then i have a sensitive skin spray for my dog that i will spray on him them brush up the dandruff. Yesterday i gave grown up goats 30mg of Zinc and babies 15mg of zinc. Babies also got their booster CDT shot yesterday. The other 2 babies just have dandruff on the base of their neck, but i think it is just from their lice treatment they got a few weeks ago because it was already there and i was treating it. Mamma also has it pretty bad, but not nearly as bad as her one baby. they dont have lice, i did a thorough check on everybody yesterday.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You can brush them too. Give them some BOSS. And of course do everything you are planning to do.

toth boer goats likes this.

3. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Thank you @ksalvagno I will give them some boss when i feed them ( I had to sleep in today. Arizona is 2 hours behind Texas and it messed me up! I woke up at 8:30!)

4. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Oh, What a bath can do! I wish I had before and after pics! I just used the human shampoo today and dandruff is gone! I will do a follow up bath tomorrow along with more BOSS and more brushing!
    I used this brush https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/p...VmFAnjuvpznI2OzVlFC1nQJYJNy_IlsBoCTWQQAvD_BwE

With this shampoo https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-E...SGwXPgSr8XeZ_JtlYYP2TJbvExxGZpsBoCmb0QAvD_BwE

And with this spray once a dayhttps://www.amazon.com/Durvet-Natur...ocphy=9027741&hvtargid=pla-360864602058&psc=1

I will do their momma tomorrow!

5. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

I would not tear myself up (or tear your friendship up) over 5 days. Even were they completely out of minerals on day 1 there is little real damage 4 more days could do to an entire goat.

Just keep this in mind when you ask for farmsitting help again. Perhaps stress a little harder about how important this is to YOU, rather than to the goats. If they value YOUR feelings, they may pay closer attention next time.

If they still don't? Well, you can reevaluate the relationship then.

6. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I swear I only let people take care of my goats that love just as much — even more — than I do! I am so picky!

7. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

May you always have the kind of life that allows that pickiness...

GoofyGoat likes this.
  8. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I am TRULY grateful.

9. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I am not upset by it. It was the weekend of the 4th of July, and she told me she had 10 other houses she was doing the same week. We were also in a rush, because a lightning storm had started when i was showing her how to feed the goats. I did tell her to refill the mineral feeder, but accidents happen, and i don't even think she even touched/thought about the minerals!. I actually enjoyed how fluffy and frizzy the babies hair was when i was done with the bath lol! Now, was it something i wanted to deal with the day/day after I got back from the airport? Obviously not. I am not upset, just frustrated. She was busy, and I may have not been clear on everything because of the rush we were in. She has taken great care of the goats before. The thing i stretched was the water. I am VERY strict about water, and I came home, and the water was at the tippy - top and it was clean. I am happy about that. I have to take another family trip sometime in August, so I will be sure to stretch how important water AND the minerals are to me!!!

10. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Baby (Piper / mamma. Her nick name is baby, i know it is confusing lol! )
    LOVED her bath! She wouldn't go on the concrete for some reason :shrug:, so i had to wash her in the grass. When i put some water on her she kinda stopped everything, closed her eyes and i could have sworn i heard her say, "oh yea, that's the spot, right there'' (rofl) She did so good so i let her have some extra BOSS and alfalfa. She is looking forward to tomorrow's bath! And all this time, I thought goats hated water!:clapping:

GoofyGoat and NigerianNewbie like this.
  11. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Silly Girl! I'll bet the bath was a huge relief to this Texas heat.

Dwarf Dad likes this.