Really bad eye - what IS this??

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by keren, Jan 26, 2009.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Found this little three month old girl last night. Saw tear stains on her face and figured grass seed in the eye (very common at this time of year, and with the angoras, pull it out and they are good as gold). When I caught her I realised it wasnt as simple as that.

Of course, I found her on a Sunday and today (Monday) is a public holiday so we are off to the vet tomorrow morning. In the meantime I have cleaned it a little, clipped the hair and put on a pink eye patch. Also gave oxytet because it was hot and swollen. She is thankfully still eating and playing happily.

None of these photos are very good, but you can see there is sort of a growth type thing on the eyeball (the eyeball itself is all blue), the 'growth' for lack of a better term is about 1cm long by 0.5cm wide.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few people (neighbours and the like) have guessed at what it could be but none are really sure. Ruptured eyeball? Cancer? (would it really happen in something this young, though?) Pinkeye? Really REALLY bad grass seed? Some sort of injury ...

I really dont know what it is and how to treat it, which is why I will be paying my vet a visit in the morning *sigh* :frowns: I swear, I must be singlehandedly keeping my vet fed, clothed, housed and watered lately.

Will update after I've been to the vet.

EDIT to say, you guys might remember Tiny Dancer - the little girl who was so tiny I didnt think she would survive - I've posted photos of her before - well this is her now :(

2. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Poor little baby! I've never seen anything like that (thank you Lord), hope it's not "life threatening", but I'm not optimistic about the sight in that eye. I'm interested to know what your vet says. Good luck.

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I've never seen anything like that, poor girl :(

could it be some kind of infection that got out of hand? or cancerous growth?

4. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I'm guessing a really bad eye injury. Did you start her on penicillin? if you have terramycin eye ointment, I'd use that too until you see the vet. don't think it's pink eye. Several years ago I had a young lamb that had a bad eye and since she was born in a livestock barn, I assumed pink eye; was treating her for that but no improvement. Turned out she had a major abrasion (from all the dirt and junk inside those stalls); I used the penG and terramycin and the eye healed but she lost total sight in that eye.

5. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    aww Keren, that does look really bad. Im afraid from the cloudiness of the eye she is probably entirely blind that side. Whether or not she'll recover her sight I dont know... sometimes they're pretty amazing at healing... It's really weird looking at it... it almost looks like a worm!

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    From what I can see in the pictures, it looks like she ruptured the eye. Meaning, they would need to surgically removed it and suture the eyelid closed.

I am so sorry that this happened. :hug:

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Karen, I too am really sorry about that. It looks like maybe she poked it with something and part of her eye is coming out. (that happened to a dog of mine a long time ago).
    I hate to say it but I would also assume that is he is totally blind in that eye and she will need to see a vet as soon as they open back up. I would try to patch it for now to prevent any infection in it.

8. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Oh my that hurts me just to look at it. :cry: That has to be so painful poor girl.
    I am anxious to see what the vet thinks may have caused this and what course of treatment he uses. I have never seen anything this severe and hope I never do.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh man...that looks so painful.. :( ..I can't wait to hear what the vet says......please keep us updated... :hug: I am sorry.... :tears:

10. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Yes, I will keep you guys updated.

My first thought was eye cancer - but no way it could happen in two days.

My second thought, is ruptured eyeball - and I figure they will have to remove the eyeball. I will have to talk to my vet about the cost of that - because she's really only worth about $80 to $100 and I can see the surgery being way above that. So I'm really sad to say she might just have to be euthanased :tears: I will see what he says though. Think happy thoughts for now.

Yes, I put terramycin powder into the eye, patched it, and also gave her oxytetracycline.

Thanks everyone, I will let you know when I get back from the vet.

11. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

Seems like I heard that there are very few if any nerve endings in the eyeball, so hopefully she is not experiencing any pain. Does look like she'll loose site in that eye.

I would get her to the vet ASAP because if it is an injury (vs. cancer) it would be an opening for infection. If the vet can remove the eye and stitch it up at a reasonable cost, why not keep her? I am counting on the fact that she is not currently in pain and has gotten over the worst of the trauma to the eye. The vet of course would know.

Is she a fiber goat? Don't know that you'd have to put her down, but then I don't know the economics on fiber goats. She's not a downer and I doubt she's in pain. Is the auction ring out of the question if the vet bill doesn't make treatment feasible?

edit typo and encourage to vet

12. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    When a goat gets pinkeye really bad, the eyeball can rupture. The treatment you used is the protocol I'd use on that kid until she can see the vet, though I use the terramycin ointment rather than powder. If it's just really bad pinkeye, she should regain her sight. If the eyeball is injured or ruptured, she'll probably be blind in that eye. I wish her the best.

13. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Vet says ruptured eyeball. The 'growth' thingy is scar tissue - vet said, the kid would have cut/punctured the eye, all the goop in it would have poured out, then the scar tissue has blocked up the whole and the eye has rebuilt the pressure, therefore returning the eyeball to normal size. Interesting stuff.

She felt the best thing to do was to remove the eye and stitch the eyelids together. Given that there was a lot of pain, and very little chance of the eye to heal by itself. She is booked in tomorrow for the surgery, not sure yet whether they will let me observe and take photos.

14. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia

15. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    You know Keren, I'm not sure even I would spend $500. on a goat surgery. I spent $300. on the c-section for Cocoa, the vet said (during the trauma) a "couple hundred" turned out to be somewhat over $300. for a goat that certainly wasn't worth that much. But, DIL was there and I didn't want to traumatize her by having the goat "put down". Do what you must, I certainly won't fault you for it. :hug:

Yes, she must be in alot of pain, I scratched a cornea once and it was the worst pain I had ever felt!

16. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I would say that if she is a beloved pet that you care about, then I would definately pay for the surgery.

But, if she is not a beloved pet, and there is no way to even break even on the vet bill, feed, medications vs. fiber she will produce or kid sales before she goes on her own - then I would definately euthanize.

What ever you decide is best for you and your family - you know that we will back your decision! :hug:

17. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Keren, I am sorry that you have to chose what to do. It is only you and the vet that really know what is best for her because you are there with her. Good luck and we all will be here to support what ever chose you make.

:grouphug: :grouphug:

18. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    :hug: I am so sorry you are having to go through this :hug: Whatever decision you make we will support 100%! I agree with Di... I don't know if I would even be willing to pay $500 or more to get one fixed... I guess it would just all depend on the circumstances :shrug: Either way, we are here for you :grouphug:

19. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I must admit, I would just go ahead with the euthanization. She may never pay herself off with her fiber(not that I know the markets for that), and you did say you didn't think she would make at at birth, she may not be as fully healthy as others, and be prone to disease, or something else could even happen. :shrug:

20. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Like everyone else said, it is all up to you in the end and you will decide what is best. :hug: I have personally spent well-over $600 keeping a doe alive that probably should've been euthanized after a torn uterus. She was a pet and cherished while she did live, another 14 months, so I feel it was worth it.