Really bad feet/hooves - picture link added post 12

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by crocee, Aug 7, 2008.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    OK I have a little doe with really bad feet. The woman who had her before me never did anything besides feed the little girl. Shes a 5 month old Saanen whom I have had for 3 weeks. Her toes are very long and the sole of one of her toes actually turn in between them holding them splayed. How far can I trim this overgrown area without hurting her? I know to stop when I reach pink but what do I do about this rolled toe?. Her toes are a 3" pointed mess that are rolled toward the inside on one toe. I was trying to get a picture but she wasn't having any more of being messed with. I will try again tomorrow. At least she likes the milk stand so that makes things a little easier. Now I just have to make the head gate tighter so she can't get her head out of it.

I can see the coronary band so I know which way will be level. She also does not appear to be cow hocked at this point. I had started trimming them and stopped when I saw how bad they were rolled.
    Andi

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Re: Really bad feet/hooves

Oh gosh...that's a tricky one. A picture would help a lot. You'll just have to work slowly and take off as much of the cracking, dry hoof as you can. Just try and get it evened up a little so it will start to correct itself and she can walk correctly on it.

It's definately hard to give advice when you can't see it for yourself, but maybe that will help a bit. Just work slowly and carefully.

Good luck!!!

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

Thanks for the super fast reply.
    I thought about trying to trim a little each week or so. Her feet are in such bad shape. I will definitely get a picture tomorrow morning. I really tried but she was being uncooperative and tired of me holding her foot up. Plus the head gate was too wide and she can pull her head out of it. This is another job for tomorrow.
    Andi

4. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas

I bet her hooves are super hard too. I read an article that you can get a bucket of warm soapy water and a brush and brush the hooves by the time you get to the 4th hoof, the 1st hoof should be soft enough to trim. I personally have never tried this so I dont know if it works.

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

Her hooves are so bad that the wall has turned inward so its like your toe nail curling around your toe. That part is thin and easily trimmed. There was a lot of "stuff" inside the folded wall that I was able to dig out. The space at this point was like 1/8". There's no smell so I don't think she has hoof rot but I got the stuff for it just in case. I have seen diabetics with a fungus growth under their nails that's really thick and crumbly. This is what the stuff was like. When I got a good look at her sole/heal, I stopped trimming any further until I sought advice.
    On the soapy water idea, anything is worth a try at this point, IF she will stand with her foot in a bucket.
    Andi

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

Just a question on when the hooves are the right size. Exactly how thick should I try to get the hooves? How far down should the bottom be from the coronary band?
    Andi

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

whenever trimming hooves for the first time expect it to take months to correct even if you get them trimmed down quite a bit.

Have you had goats before? have you trimmed hooves before? knowing this will help us better give you advise. I dont want to talk to you like a newbie but dont want to miss any information if it might be helpful.

If you want you can check out my website http://www.endofthelinefarm.com and under goat care basics look for hooftrimming and on that page there are pictures of a normal hoof trimming. that might be of some help to you maybe :shrug:

Welcome to TGS :wave:

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Trim what you can without hurting her, and then do it every couple days til she can stand with them level....as far as the headgate being too big and she can pull her head out, if it is wooden...try putting a piece of 2x4 in front of it but above the grain dish...I had to do that for my hornless doe as the others have horns and stay put, she was pulling her bald head right out of it.

Stacey does have very good info on her site, check it out. :greengrin:

9. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

I have had goats for exactly 4 weeks. I started with a 10 day old baby Boer buckling who is now growing like a weed. I got Pickles 1 week later. So far we're doing good but still have a lot to learn. I will probably be a newbie for at least 5 years. I do keep the baby's hooves trimmed and was shown how by a pro, but he has normal hooves that have never been overgrown. Pickles feet are a bit worse than anything I have seen online and I have looked at a lot of pictures of goats feet. I learned everything I could before I got the baby and decided I was prepared to raise him since his previous owners didn't have time or inclination to have a bottle baby. I had decided I wanted goats even before the baby was offered to me.
    Right now I am a sponge for information so anything you can tell me will be appreciated.
    Andi

10. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

Welcome....like another poster said....it's going to take quite a long time to get them back to normal and might not ever be perfect. Good luck!!!!

11. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas

I had a buck that Foundered and it took about 2 months to get his feet trimmed back to normal. I trimmed as much as I could then I would let him go for a few days then I would bring him back to the stand and trim more off. His hooves were extremely tough so I put water on them. You dont have to make her stand in a bucket of water but do spray or brush some water on her hooves so they will become more softer and easier to trim.

12. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    It won't let you go to your pictures. Says you need to log in so ??? :shrug:

13. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    weird , it let me see them.

they don't look horrible, i've seen much worse, just keep working on them, maybe rasp the heel and toe to shape the hoof

i'll try to find a picture or to of the ideal hoof after trimming

14. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
  15. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I had a link to the whole goat album and thats what would not allow visitors in. I changed it to individual links to the pictures so it would work.
    Andi

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Andi, Those are bad but not as bad I have ever seen. I have seen them so bad that the goat walked on his knees. It will not take you that long to gett hem correct.

What I would do (I did this to the goat mentioned above). I dipped his hoof in betadine after they were trimmed. I did it until they were trimmed correct. I have no reason other then because you never know what could be under those curled up hoof.
    She sure is a sweet looking girl. Good thing you have her now. :stars:

17. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh those aren't to bad at all! Man I wish I could go help you...i'm really good a trimming. After trimming 25 goats in one day I know my stuff :D! I've seen much worse so these won't take to much work. First I would take you trimmers...What kind are you using? I'm using small horse nippers and it's works fabulous! Ok, back on subject. I would take your trimmers,,,trim off the heal, see the yellow on the ends of her heal, just take that off. Then trim off the sides.

Do you want me to take pictures of me trimming one of my goats? I think i'll do that anyway for my website or something. I could do a step by step thing so you can see exactly what it looks like. Let me know, I love trimming hooves.

Good luck!!!

18. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    They don't look too bad , trimming them and rasping the heel after you have trimmed it back and doing it every few days til they look right should do the trick...a mild bleach water solution would help with any infection that may have started with the crud thats under the hoof....she's cute, I like her "tippy" ears.

O and I noticed the chicken wire fence, if thats where you keep her, she won't stay there for long, as she grows she'll end up going thru it :wink:

19. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    The chicken wire is only temporary and shes only in that area on a leash. I stay outside with her for hours at a times so she can eat her fill of grass and browse that I cut for her. The 1/4 acre we are going to use should be fenced in a week or so. I have to wait for somemore T/U posts to come in cause I bought all they had. I also have to get another roll of fencing (4" woven) as the roll I have is too short length wise.

My trimmers are Foot Rot Trimmers with a green coated rubber handle. They look like the ones Stacey has in her pictorial but the handles are green. WARNING!!!!!!!! These things come with a warning for a reason. Tape your thumb or wear gloves as they really are super sharp and hurt when they stab you, ask me how I know this.
    I trimmed off what I thought was safe and made them as level as I could without taking off too much. There was some dirt backed under that folded over part so I scraped that out. I will have to use the rasp next time as its burried in DH's wood shop somewhere, I will get another one just for goats. I scrubbed her hooves and trimmed the hair so I could see what I was doing. I dipped each hoof in bleach water after the trim job. Her feet do look a lot better but the toe is still a bit more pointed than it should be. Its also pretty narrow. I will do it again in a few days.

I liked the pictorial that Stacey did on her site but the operation was so far away and hard to see. Close up would be better. Better yet would be if someone did a pictorial of really bad feet. I would have done one with Pickles but its hard to hold the camera and try to trim a foot thats trying to get away.