Really bad skin...help needed

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by happyhogs, Apr 19, 2010.

1. happyhogs

happyhogs Member

Oct 12, 2009
    My two pygmy wethers have the most awful dandruff! It is particularly bad around their shoulders and base of their tails but is all over their body. There is no sign of soreness and they don't seem to be scratching excessively but I have dusted them for lice and they wear a flea collar so I don't think it's parasite problems and the dandruff pre-existed the treatment so it is not a reaction to it either.

They are molting so could this be the reason? Our temps here at the mo are unseasonabley warm at around 16-18 degrees C or 61-65 degrees F

Their daily diet is...free access to hay, a handful of BOSS, a handful of grain (no more than an ounce, I'd say) There is a salt block in their shed but they don't seem to have touched it. They are walked out on a leash for an hour a day and eat whatever they find along the way, generally brambles, grass and a variety of tree leaves. I add 20 grams of Caprivite feed supplement to their grain and dampen it in with a splash of water or the boys just eat round it. I'm not sure if you get Caprivite in the States (I'm in UK) so the nutritional analysis for your info is..

Calcium (Ca) 65.5g
    Phosphorous (P) 45g
    Magnesium (Mg) 24g
    Sodium (Na) 30g
    Iron (Fe) 1.5g
    Iodine (I) 12mg
    Copper (Cu) 60mg
    Zinc (Zn) 1.2 g
    Manganese (Mn) 1.2g
    Selenium (S.) 45mg
    Cobalt)Co) 11.1mg
    Potassium (K) 400mg
    Vitamin A 110000 iu
    Vitamin D 10000 iu
    Vitamin E 560i u.
    Vitamin B, 100mg
    Nicotinamide 200mg
    Vitamin B,2 1mg
    Calcium D Pantothenate 200mg
    Plus flavourings, colouring and preservative on a cereal base
    Metabolisable Energy 10.7 MJ/kgDM
    Oil 2.34%
    Crude Protein 7.65%
    Crude Fibre 2.42%

I am not in a position where I can bath them really so any suggestions you might have need to be topical or something I can add to food maybe? I wondered if something like Cod Liver Oil in their food would help the skin?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated xx

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Flakey skin is often a problem in spring time...some of the flakyness is due to the fact that, with their thick winter coats, skin just can't shed like it needs to and gets caught up in the fluffy undercoat.

The problem might resolve itself after they lose all of their winter hair...there are some here that swear by aloe vera juice (given orally) but I have never tried that myself.

3. happyhogs

happyhogs Member

Oct 12, 2009
    woah! Aloe Vera Juice? I've never heard of it in a juice, where would you get that?

And thank you for the reassurance in general, I'm glad it's an oft known issue, not just my boys! And what do you think of Olive Oil? It's generally good for any mammal but I don't want to upset their tummies, give them scour xx

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I've got 4 wether's doing the same thing right now.....it was much worse a couple of weeks ago when they first really started loosing their winter coat....I noticed it is getting better now, as they have loss most of their winter fluff. I go out every day and brush and comb them really good. It helps pull out the flakes and the undercoat....I tried the aloe vera juice and it made no difference in my guys, but I know Stacey and some others really like it.

5. happyhogs

happyhogs Member

Oct 12, 2009
    I have been grooming them daily, I bought a stripping comb and dog brush and it is making them look a lot less scruffy but of course, it brings all the flakes to the surface and leaves them looking like they've been in a snow storm!!! The birds are loving the fluff I remove though, I have been putting it on the ends of the branches in the chicken pen and the birds are taking it to line their nests! The chickens have attempted to help with the dandruff issue too...they peck at anything white...but Teddy and Tumnus are not impressed with their poultry pampering!

And guys...where do you get Aloe Vera Juice? xx

6. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    You could probably get aloe vera juice at a health food store or a grocery store in the vitamin section. It usually comes in a big jug.

If you are already giving BOSS I wouldn't worry about supplementing with any other oils. It could make them gain too much weight...you have to be really careful about supplementing wethers with high-calorie stuff because they can really pack on the pounds. A few skin flakes...even though it looks gross...is still healthier than overweight goats.

7. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Aloe Vera juice any grocery store.
    One of my girls (the Nub) has awful dandruff & some thin coat in places. A couple weeks with daily drenches of about 12cc aloe vera didnt do a thing.
    Havent seen anything crawling but guess I should go get some seven dust.
    DE didnt work either; even DE dusted the dog for fleas, nope no change.

Happyhogs if you dont mind me pointing this out, your copper levels need to be much higher for goats :)
    The calcium to copper ratio is good. The minerals we use are up in the 1750ppm range minimum for copper.

8. FunnyRiverFarm

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Not sure if you noticed that in the nutrition info copper was listed in mg instead of ppm. I don't know what the conversion would be...but 60mg might very well be plently of copper...I don't know for sure but would suspect that since this is a mineral product for specifically for goats that they'd have the extra copper in it. :shrug:

9. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    :doh: Funnyriver I didnt notice that part! Thank you!

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have a doe that is do dry it makes me hurt seeing her sometimes.

I tool her to the vet and they ran several different skin samples and blood and you name it. Found out she is allergic to the sun. YEP it is true.

She is so dry right now when I pat her the white dust like is everywhere. My hand was covered on Sunday after petting her. It looks like someone poured baby powder all over her. I give her aloe Vera juice and some oil in her grain.

11. fiberchick04

fiberchick04 New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Colorado
    Aw poor Monica. She is the sweetest goat, lol but her poor face too. Or did she grow hair back on her muzzle? I still think she is pretty!

12. happyhogs

happyhogs Member

Oct 12, 2009
    well folks, the boys seem to be over the worst of their dreadful dandruff. After searching high and low for aloe vera juice, to no avail, and seeing that poor Tumnus had started scratching himself sore against anything he could, I upped the Boss a bit and put one teaspoon each of cod liver oil in their food for a week....with miracle results!!! I would say the dandruff has improved by about 80% at least and they have really regained the shine to their coats. I continued with the grooming as it is part of their daily care routine anyway but increased the combing to twice a day and they are now looking fab!! The scratching has stopped altogether though they are both head rubbing a lot but I think that is unrelated to the dandruff issue anyway as it is something they did before they had skin problems.

I was concerned that the added oil would give them scour but it did not affect their droppings in any way and seems to have made a remarkable difference in a short time. I took on board your comments about the added oil making them put on weight too FunnyRiverFarm but figured that if it was just for a short period, it would hopefully be OK and thankfully I can't say there's any noticable difference in their girth! I have stopped using it now as they are over the worst but maybe it might help poor Monica's problem, mentioned above????