Really bad thing to come home too - Updated

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Epona142, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    While we were out grocery shopping, a tornado came through and damaged a lot of houses in our area.

It ripped off part of our new house's roof.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sigh.

I was crushed and nearly lost it right then, I'll admit. You know how it sometimes feels, when everything JUST starts to go right, something bad happens. It was really tough for me.

But, it was amazing how the neighborhood came together. We had a bunch of neighbors, some we had never even met before, come and help us put it back together until we can repair it fully. It was a really humbling thing to be reminded how good people can be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It could have been SO much worse, I keep reminding myself. None of our pets were hurt, we weren't hurt, the goats weren't hurt.

A lot of stuff is ruined, but not everything. Stuff can be replaced.

Anyways . . . that was my day. I just wanted to share with my friends here

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Re: Really bad thing to come home too

Oh my gosh- that is so scarey- Im so glad everyone is okay! :hug:

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI

Wow! So sorry about the house :( But you are right, the most important thing is that everyone (human and animal) is still in one piece. :hug:

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

Oh gosh! I am so sorry..at least no one was hurt! That must have been so scary to go home to! :hug:

5. Zelda

Zelda New Member

May 2, 2009
    Rocky Mountains

:hug: Reading the subject line, I thought it was going to be something like loose dogs killing all of your animals, so WHEW. I'm glad it's something that can be replaced/repaired & that you are handling it well.

6. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX

You hit the nail on the head there Zelda.

Sometimes its hard to take a step back and realize that its NOT the end of the world. I tend to be really upset when things happen. Today was no different, but I recovered more quickly and with all the help we had, was even able to laugh a bit and joke around as we worked on the roof.

I forgot to mention the neighbor's trampoline. They're about a football field away, but their trampoline blew ALL the way over here and hit our fence.

If the wind was going the other way, the roof pieces could easily have fallen and possibly injured goats.

If another part of the roof had come off, our inside pets could easily have been hurt. (The neighbor's CAT was also blown to our porch. She's okay though.)

It really stinks that this happens. It's not something we needed right now (does anyone ever need their roof blown off though?) and its tough.

But it could have been worse, and I'm way too stubborn to just give up and quit now.

:hug:

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

Thats awesome about the neighbors!!!! :grouphug:

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

You were truly blessed, thank God you didn't lose more than you did :hug:

9. citylights

citylights New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California

"It really stinks that this happens. It's not something we needed right now (does anyone ever need their roof blown off though?) and its tough."

On the lighter side -- and this is!!!! -- I was diagnosed with breast cancer two years ago. My daughter had just started her senior year of high schoool and i had opened a brand new business -- a tack store with a good friend of mine the week before I was diagnosed.... I was so upset and kept saying to my husband: OMG, this is just such a bad time for this to happen. and he replied, "Honey, is there ever a GOOD time for cancer?" And that put it into perspective for me. It's a BUMP IN THE ROAD. I thank God for fwhat I do have and consider the bad stuff just a BUMP IN THE ROAD. I have my loved ones, and my beloved pets.... remember -- BUMP
    ;]
    (I have done all my treatments and have every expectation of being CURED)

10. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Just got great news. A representative of the company that owns and sells all the houses in this neighborhood stopped by to let me know that a crew is coming out to fix all the houses that were damaged!

:leap:

So I'll be staying home tomorrow and waiting to get the roof fixed.

I can't lie, its a huge relief.

Thanks for all your support guys, and I'll keep you updated. :hug:

11. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    That's terrific! So glad there were no injuries or worse.

12. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Gah - nevermind actually. They're NOT going to come fix it. We have to do it ourselves.

:roll:

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am so happy that you are all OK. WOW, what a blessing.

I can not believe they are not going to fix it. Is it just to kind of hold until your roof can be replaced by a professional?

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh thats a bummer -- well I am sure something will work out

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow... that is.. a really a scary thing.....thank God... no one was injured .....happy... that you will be getting the barn repaired.....sounds like... it is all working out..... :thumbup: