Really D-U-M-B question

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by kelebek, Jan 9, 2009.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ok, so Trisha - my F-A-T nubian that is pregnant -

Is it possible that a doe get bred and then have a "fake" heat 18 days later but be pregnant from the first heat?

I went back and looked at my notes and I have her as being bred on October 2nd (that would be a due date of March 1) okey, but then she was in "heat" and rebred on October 23rd (would put due date of March 22) - 21 days later. She was flagging, standing for the buck, standing next to the door to the boys just like from the first heat.

Is there any possible way she did take the first time but was "confused"?

I swear I have the weirdest goats.

I thought that maybe last night when i was feeling kids moving around that I was just "wishing" so I brought a stethescope home - although I could not hear ANYTHING through the fat - I definately felt one really GIANT kid (doubt it) or at least twins - one laying on the bottom and another kicking and raising heck...... but at 97 days or 76 days gestation should I be feeling this??? There was NO WAY that there was a buck with her prior to this - Ram, yes - buck NO.

:GAAH: :GAAH: I am freaking out. I know - I know worst it could be in another 10 weeks max to find out - but I dont like surprises! LOL!

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    omg a shoat would be wierd out of the nubian and a ram

i know that sounds bad but.. imagine it..we should make paint shoats

3. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    :ROFL: I was thinking the EXACT same thing! Or maybe a geep :ROFL:

4. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Well I have questioned it before since my girls have different due dates and I was told that yes it is possible that they took on the first breeding date.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    well, we believe that is what happened with Ginger's pregnancy. She was definately pregnant and aborted the fetuses - the blood tests showed it and she discharged it. But I figured out what was going on in Mid October and seperated the ram out - I had no idea this was going on because they are undomesticated heat - but somewhere on here there is a thread from a saturday when I caught my ram on my Boer/Sanaan.

From that day forward, they were split.

Now she more then likely would have aborted by now if that was the case, so I am not sure.

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    We had a doe that we swore was infertile, because she was joined every single month of her pregnancy. She had good obvious heats and was mated every month until she kidded.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Allison, it is entirely possible to have a "false" heat after breeding and settling earlier....so since you know when each breeding was, go with the earlier due date, and if nothing happens you know the next one.......I had that happen with Binky last year...Chief got her and 3 weeks later she was standing for Pygmy Hank (not by my choice)....I had 2 due dates and hoped she would deliver the 6th of January with PB nigi's but instead she delivered the 23rd with pygmy/nigi's.

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I was about to ask the exact same thing because Claribelle has two possible due dates. Good question and not dumb at all! Or. maybe it was and we're just two "dumbies." ;) Just kidding. :greengrin:

9. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    It's possible for does to come in heat while pregnant. But that would be neat if ya got some geeps! :ROFL:

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    OK - so if Trisha didn't want to confuse me more - tonight I went to feed (as DH let me sleep this morning) and she is standing be the door to the boys flagging away and letting my wether mount her.

Soooo, I have a feeling I better be ready for 2 girls to give birth the end of Feb, just to make sure.

Also, here's another question. If a doe is bred, and then has a 5 day heat, do you count the 1st date or the second???

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    with the 5 day heat you count the second breeding date.

12. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I got a doe this last summer, who was suppose to be bred ..but she stood for my buck, and now she is getting ready to freshen and still stands for the buck! She is a very naughty girl, I tell her all the time, but she doesn't listen!
    I did notice a bit of bloody discharge after the second breeding so she must have slipped the fetus and was rebred. She just passed her first due date!! I am excited for her babies as we lost the buck not long after the breeding and he was awesome!!

So if you did have a goat + sheep..would they be baby lids??or kambs??
    Thankfully that won't happen..but a daddy one could be a Bam!!
    I know it's not funny anymore, right?

13. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Keep us up to date when you get your babies! I almost wished I had bred my goats this year, but I need to buy all the equipment first for milking. Dang that stuff's expensive.

As for a geep or shoat, they are like a mule. Meaning that they are unable to reproduce.

14. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Well if things have not gotten worse with her - she is in standing heat AGAIN yesterday and today. Just eating away flagging and Abba is playing king of the hill - so to speak - that boy is QUICK to run out of the buck pen to try and get to her.

I don't know what to think. She is supposed to be do the end of March, but I feel nothing in that tubby thing I call a stomach on her. I am going to reblood test her this weekend and see if she is pregnant.

I am starting to think that she is getting pregnant and resorbing. I will let you all know