Really irritated.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by KW Farms, Jan 27, 2011.

1. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Can a vent a little?...

This isn't a huge deal, but it's really irritated me. I ran across an ad on craigslist from a nigerian breeder in WA. They basically copied an ad of mine. And now are doing their own "annual kid giveaway." I ran across this ad and am pretty irritated. I had a problem with them in the past of copying a photo and putting it on their website without asking me when it clearly states on my website that everything is copy righted. I have also heard from someone else that this breeder copied her ad as well when she was trying to sell a goat.

I've emailed them about it, I think this is just plain rude...I hope i'm not overreacting, but seriously, who does that?...I work really hard on my ads!! :angry:

Here is the ad, everything in blue was copied from my ad...

ADGA/AGS Nigerian Dwarf Goats (XXXXXXXXXXXXXX,WA)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Date: 2011-01-26, 2:18PM PST
    Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

......xxxxxxxxxxx here in xxxxxxx,WA will be be starting the Spring 2011 kidding season very soon.......reserve your kids now!

Most of them will make awesome breeding, show, and milk prospects. We have genetics from herds all over the US. Our herd also includes just about every color including moon spots and blue eyes. We have bucks from the TOP herds in the US right now. Check out our website for more information on our goats and check out what's for sale.

We will be having our first annual "kid giveaway" and are taking FREE reservations on 2011 nigerian dwarf kids. Our breeding schedule is up and kids will start being born in March! Also, join our email notice, no obligations, just an email sent out when new kids are born and for sale.

"website" questions? xxx xxx xxxx

2. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    :shocked: Ok...that's just too much. Creepy if you ask me. Ya...I would be irritated too! Don't expect an email back. Someone that would do that's not going to want to talk to you.

3. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Oh that is just too much!!! ... and yes, a bit creepy...
    I would just flag it to kingdom come AND BACK whenever they copy your ad.

Ok maybe that's a bit much, well... maybe...maybe not... :devilish:

4. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Thats happened to me too...I just ignored it..whatever...they dont deserve it...

At least with me doing my kid giveaway I made sure to credit you and thank you! I wish they didnt take that awesome idea!

5. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yeah, it is creepy. I've heard this person has some "issues." So this doesn't even surprise me, but boy was I ticked when I saw their ad. I usually don't get upset about this kind of thing, but I guess this second issue with the same person kind of irked me off.

Laura, yes... It was very appreciated that you were so respectful to ask and give credit to an idea I had...I have absolutely no problem with that.

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i've had people copy my hoof trimming ad. i took it as a compliment (they were in Fairbanks, so it didn't effect me) but still!!

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if its on CL then you can flag it for removal - but it has to be flagged multiple times before it will be removed.

its irritating when someone takes your idea but its the internet - its going to happen and unless you patent the idea they are free to use it without giving you any credit :(

8. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Geez, that is just being lazy. Perhaps they are very poor at writing the English language, and wanted their ad to come off as professional. Still, that is very rude of them to copy your ad. It may confuse people on CL, seeing the same ad from two different people. It might make them think something fishy is going on and deter them from buying from you. I would post an ad on CL informing potential buyers that their ad is NOT yours, and that the farm has been copying your ad content. I would then add, at the end, that this is simply a statement to inform customers and avoid confusion, that way you look like you are being professional and polite and not simply angry. (Although you definitely have the right to be angry.)

As to the free kid give away.... You are the first person who I saw do this, but since then I have seen at least five other farms doing it. If I hadn't seen you do it first, and had just gotten into Nigerians, I would have just assumed it was a common and popular thing amongst breeders. If I ever do one, I'll be sure to credit you with starting the trend. :)

9. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Thanks guys. I feel better about it. I flagged her ad...still up this morning. I was actually reading the craiglist copyright rules and it states that you can't do that. So I may just contact them about it and see if they will do anything.

The kid giveaway isn't that big of a deal to me, still a little frustrating, but...i'm just afraid she'll go to my website and copy and paste stuff off there to her website...she's done it with other people's websites. :( I know I was not happy when I saw one of my photos on her website.

Anyway...my irritation has kind of dwindled away like I expected it to. Thanks for letting me vent! I'm still waiting for a reply email from her...not sure if i'll get one, but still waiting. Lol. This gal is a new breeder and i've already heard from two other ND WA breeders that they have had problems with her. She is really making a bad reputation for herself.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is just so wrong.... I would definitely contact CL.... :hair:

11. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    Do you go through webs.com for a website? if so you can block right clicking on your site, that way if they highlight and right click to copy your pictures or content then they won't be able to. It will say something like this site does not allow right clicking or it just won't let the drop down menu come up for her to copy. Although she can still type your word for word off your site if she see's a phrase she likes.

To copy the words like that is a NO NO!

I don't think the give a kid away thing is that bad though, cause I've seen horse sites that do a colt giveaway.

12. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    I had noticed the 'other' kid give-away on craigslist... and at first thought it was you... but when I saw the name I thought it was kinda weird. I guess I know why it sounded SO familiar!!!
    Anyway, I didn't sign up for that give-away cause I just didn't know anything about their goaties...
    Sorry that happened to you!

13. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am so sorry that happened Kylie - I think I might know who you are talking about.

This is why I have got to the point of not even using CL - either people do things that are shady - or they flag stuff for NO reason. I had my 2 angus calves for sale and was flagged 4 times in 2 days for ANGUS calves in the farm and garden area!

14. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

I just went and looked at the craigslist ad I believe you were talking about. and in the 'location' part it says "Please don't flag :)"
    Okayyy...

15. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I seen her add to. Im sorry she is doing that to you. I wouldnt want my pics are things that I have written to come up like someone else came up with it. Hope you can get her to quit.

16. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yeah...I doubt she'll quit. I already sent her an email, then her ad was flagged off...now her ad is back on...I haven't gotten a response (not unexpected). I'm just going to try and ignore it, but I have lost all respect for her at this point.

Guess I just gotta let this roll off my back. ;) Thanks for the support though guys.

17. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    It sounds like this individual may have a 'screw or ten loose' and having any direct contact with them might not be such a great idea. IMHO, take the mature route, ignore it and understand that when people are given enough rope, they usually end up hanging themselves = i.e. what goes around, comes around.

18. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

May 18, 2010
    Fairplay, MD
    I had this happen with a horse training ad. It was copied word for word. The only difference is she did use her own pictures. I emailed the person and never did hear back, however i never did see that particular ad again either.

19. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I know how you feel. I haven't had my ads copied, but I've had other things copied. It's annoying for sure. You just need to try and not let it bother you cause it just means they are jealous of you and wish they could write ads as good as you. So really it's "the highest form of flattery"... so they say. LOL

I would just flag when you can, but really it means your add is that good! ;) :thumb:

20. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yep...it's certainly irritating but as Ashley said, take it as a compliment but I would certainly let them know that you aren't pleased with their actions. I've had stuff copied as well but I shrug it off and figure that I must have had something good to say otherwise it wouldn't have been worth "repeating" :wink: