The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a young goat. I had written about her three months ago. She was born in winter during a night we were hit by a late and truly bitter winter storm, and she was weak. We brought her inside and hand nursed her back to health. About a month ago the temperatures had become mild and we moved her out.

About three months have gone by and she is growing though smallish. A couple weeks ago, she was a little listless and had diarrhea. This was due to coccidiosis and every year I have to dose the new kids with Triple Sulfa for it. After a single dose she quickly recovered.

This morning my daughter said she looked listless again, but I checked and she did not have diarrhea, and I could see nothing out of the ordinary. My daughter also said she was hunched up yesterday and this morning, but I did not see it when I checked on her.

I put her into her outside pen as normal. An hour ago, I was walking by the pen on my way to hoe the garden and saw her lying down. She cried when she heard me come by. She was very weak and could not stand. Because she was hand-fed, she is very attached to us, so I brought her into the cottage to her original kennel. I've seen goats in the past that looked that weak and sick, and they always died. I thought for sure she was going to die very shortly.

I went outside to find my wife. It took a half hour to find her and get back to the cottage (it's a big farm). When I got in, she was up, looking spry and playing in the kennel. Her eyes are bright again. I am going to dose her with some mineral oil just in case the problem is constipation.

She is a smallish goat and my daughters tell me they have seen the other kids pick on her frequently. I cannot figure out what went wrong or if there is still a problem. Maybe it was constipation? Could it have been stress due to being picked on? It's been rainy but with mild temperatures, and she's been in the barn till now. Could it have been exposure?

I really need some knowledgeable opinions.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
29,911 Posts
wow..poor baby has been threw it...if she was constipated her tummy would be very hard, did you find poo in her pen? feel her tummy to see if its hard..
what is she eating..if she is getting a lot of fresh graze then she may be a bit bloated or fighting enterotoxemia
First: lets take a temp..see how that looks..recheck several times through out the day..silent phuemonia will have a flexing temp...
With her coming in and out of this so quickly and without treatment, Im wondering if she is not having a quiet seizures? meaning not the shaking kind..but more of an quiet kind..

I would start her on Thiamine..(B1) shots ...B complex as a support vit. and C D antitoxin ...to help keep toxin from building in her tummy
None of these treatments will hurt if she does not need them but will help a ton if she does..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the information. She is getting grass and grain, like her sibling who is fine. We gave her almost two bottles of milk a while ago with some mineral oil mixed in but she hasn't had milk in a couple weeks. She lost interest in it about 3 weeks ago, and wanted hay and grain.

She is settled now but I cannot tell if she is looking ill again or just exhausted. She is shivering or trembling, just slightly. You really can only see it in her ears. Her breathing is normal and quiet. No sign of respiratory distress.

My thermometer was broken in the barn, so I can't get a temp just now. I am wondering if I should dose her with an antibiotic. I have penicillin and amoxicillin on hand.

·
Registered
29,911 Posts
try to find a new thermometer as soon as you can see if she has fever..I hate to start antibiotics if she dont need them but of you see she is worse tonight then I would use the Pen. But once you start antibiotics you need to complet the course for 5 days...always pull back on the plunger to be sure you are not in a vien... If you have the B complex..give her that as well...If you dont have Thiamine which is RX see if you can get a vile from a local vet...its fairly cheap. there are 2 strength...100mg is 1 cc per 25# ( I give no less than 2 cc) and 500mg is 1 cc per 100#...( i would give no less than 1/2 cc)..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll get B complex, penicillin and a new thermometer tomorrow. My place is remote and this is the Canadian Maritimes. No way to get such things today. But first thing tomorrow I'll go to the village.

Thanks, everyone!

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Sounds like maybe she got chilled or something.

Have you run a fecal on her just to be safe she's clear of cocci and worms? Growing kids are so prone to overloads and even with treatments they can continue having problems...sometimes there are not many signs until it's too late.

I would not give an antibiotic without being sure she needs it and it doesn't really sound to me like an antibiotic would be needed at this point. I'd get a temp. The vit b complex is a good idea, i'd probably do nutridrench as well. But if her temp. is low, i'd get some heaters going for her, like a blowdryer on high heat and start warming her up. Then get her a draft free, dry box or carrier to stay in with a hot gallon jug or something she can snuggle up with and help keep warm.

·
Registered
29,911 Posts
I agree with Kylee...keep her warm tonight and get a temp tomorrow ...if you will be in town I would pic up Tylan 200 in case she needs antibiotics ..its better for illness..but I agree to get a temp first..best of luck..keep us posted

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
We gave her almost two bottles of milk a while ago with some mineral oil mixed in but she hasn't had milk in a couple weeks.
You can't do this. This comes under the topic heading of sudden changes in diet and it can kill her. She either gets milk on a regular basis, or she does not get milk at all! When you brought her in that first night, what did her tummy look like? Was she all sunken in in front of her hip bones, or was her tummy full? I'm wondering if she ever got any colostrum?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GoatCrazy and everyone: When we first brought this doe in about three months ago, we milked the mother for the colostrum and gave it to her regularly till the mother doe stopped producing it. We also keep some frozen colostrum for such an emergency, but never needed it. The mother gave us plenty.

When we brought her back into the house today there was nothing unusual about her belly. Not tightness or fullness. No diarrhea. She did defecate and it was ordinary.

Something I did not mention earlier as I was scrambling to call vets: this goat is from a weak line. The grandmother of this goat is large and strong, and a good milker, but every doe she has ever thrown has been small and fragile, and none has ever survived past six months except this one's mother. This is the first year that mother bore kids. The mother bore a male and female. The male is vigorous (we usually see this with this line) but the female (the sick goat about which I am now writing) was always fragile.

We have had milk goats about 7 years now. All our other goats are vigorous and do well, living in uncrowded conditions with good shelter by night and a nice meadow with run-in by day--never any illness.

I have tried breeding the does of this weak line to different bucks but it hasn't helped.

I am going to have to give up on this line as of now and cull it from the herd. It is heartbreaking to see the does of this line all pass away so young.

The little doe also relapsed an hour after I wrote the first message, but very slowly. It was as if her batteries were just running down. She just seemed to slowly fade away, losing energy and zest. She is in a warm kennel in the entry. It's now about 2:30 a.m. She won't eat anything and won't take water. She can barely move. There are no visible symptoms that I can make sense of. No fluid discharge. No shivering. No diarrhea. But she has no energy to stand up or even move around. All I can do is keep her on clean bedding. It is heartbreaking. I don't understand this at all, except for weak genes. It is like she is just fading away.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
I'm so sorry for the pain this is causing you...it's evident in your post. I would give this girl another round of cocci treatment. And, pour the b-complex and thiamine in her as well.

I think you are smart to cull this line in your herd. Sounds like the doe should go to a nice pet home. It's too heartbreaking to continue to breed her and she's not "improving" the herd.

·
Registered
29,911 Posts
Cliff. I know this is a difficult time..it is never easy to see any animal just fade away..DId you say what breed she is? Nubian carry a defect that sounds much like you are talking about...its called G6S..here is a link to that info just in case
http://kinne.net/g6s.htm

I would keep dosing her with Thiamine and Cd Antitoxin...at the very least this might make her more comfortable....keep feeding us info and we will keep digging to try to find answers..
But I do agree if mom throws unthrifty kids it is time to find her a pet home...many blessing

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone! I am sorry to say that the little doe passed away at about 5:00 a.m. It was hard on her. I am going to have to ask my vet if I can keep some toxins around to put down such a sick animal, if this should become the case again. Something quick and painless.

Every doe thrown from this line has died at between three and five months of age. Some just dropped suddenly, as if from an aneurysm; others died more rapidly, as if from illness. All have been undersized and lacking musculature. It has only ever happened from this line. We bought the two original does of this line from a goatkeeper 7 years ago when we were a lot less informed about goats, and both were problematic. One died suddenly two years later with no symptoms. Just dropped. The other has been a good milker but she has given us all kids lacking thrift, and all the females died young. I believe the fellow knew he was selling poor blood. The original doe is 12 now and still going strong. All this time we thought we were doing something wrong with her, but now I see it's probably genetic. We will retire her to her own little meadow this autumn to live out her remaining life. She's been a good milker and mother and deserves better than a culling.

It really broke our hearts that this kid passed away because we had hand-raised her for months while a long, ceaseless Nova Scotia winter refused to turn into a proper spring. We all suspected she would pass away because she was dwarfish and fragile, but you know--you get attached to goats. They are such endearing creatures.

The goats of the sickly line are definitely predominantly Saanen, though there is something else in their blood because their coats may be white, grey or even dark, and always shaggy. But with the retirement of the original doe and giving her mother away for a pet, that line will end.

Who knows, maybe this was the G-6-S mutation. We have a buck goat from that same dealer who is a huge, gentle sire to all our little flock. None of his progeny from the Alpine does (from a different breeder) ever showed anything but vigor and good milking characteristics, though, so I doubt he is a problem.

I am going to buy a few pure Saanen kids, as I would like to transform the flock to all Saanen. They seem to do especially well in our Nova Scotian climate which can vary from deep south heat and humidity to arctic cold. The old line will not be bred any longer.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
29,911 Posts
Im sorry you lost her...I agree with your decision to retire this doe..Saanen are nice goats..

·
Alpine Addict!
2,264 Posts
Geez...This has me in tears. :( I know how you feel-I had the same situation a few years back with one of my kids. He grew well for a week-and then was gone. I really feel for you. :tear::grouphug::hug:I'm so sorry you had to go though this, and hope you never have to do it again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts