Really nervous about pulling blood tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by WalnutGroveFarm, Aug 9, 2009.

1. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Me and my friend are going to be pulling blood on my goats tomorrow, and im really nervous. Not only about doing it but about getting the results back. I did buy from clean herds, but one of them the nubian cross I have come from a different herd and i dont know about them. Im testing for CAE and CL through pav.lab. Im afraid im going to do somthing wrong. Do you guys tell them at the post office that you have blood in you boxes your shipping? My husband said I better tell them. Not sure what to do. Well thanks

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm sure your results will be coming back negative :hug:

You have more guts than I do....I decided to go ahead and pay my vet to come and do the blood draws :(

And NO...do not tell the shipper what is inside, as long as you package the tubes securely theres no need to say anything. I am pretty sure that others have shipped in this manner too.

Just was on the pavlab site....they do require that you place a bio-hazzard label on the box, so ,it may be best to tell the post master :shrug:

3. citylights

citylights New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I've never labeled the outside when shipping -- it's a lot easier witht he plastic tubes now. It didn't ocfcur to me to label.... hopefully the PO knew from the address of the LLab? :scratch: Drawing the blood is easy -- esp if you have a good holder/helper. You're not going to hurt them even if you miss! It's a little needle! :wink: good luck!

4. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Thanks very much I need all the hugs and the good lucks I can get. I hope it will be easy but I have one doe that is due in Dec. if she took and I worry about scaring her so bad that she aborts. I havnt seen her come back into heat but I miss their heats sometimes. Just want to do it right and get all those negative results. Thanks again.

Liz I thought they just wanted you to put the biohazard on the inside of the package, of course maybe I was wrong. Im wrong alot lol.

5. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I'm sure everything will be fine :pray: I'm pulling blood on 3 of my new does tomorrow too. I hate doing it but they can't live in quarantine forever. Let us know how it goes. It is nerve wracking waiting for the results :hair:

6. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I am always nervous about sending blood, but I just follow the instructions on line and do not tell the post office anything about what it is, I do put bio hazard on the out side of the box, they have never asked about it..

7. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    We just labeled the box and everything like the website told us to. We used Bio-tracking.

Maybe I'm weird...but I actually like pulling blood. :greengrin:

8. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Well today is here and my help is going to show up this evening. Im sure she is as nervous as me. lol So should I put the bioharzard symbol on the outside of the box then.
    Dover Farm wish you where closer I would sure let you come help me and have the joy of pulling blood. lol Agan thanks

9. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Good luck with it! You are better than me, I can not do it. I still have to pay to have the Vet come do it for me. Someday, maybe someday I will be able to get enough nerve to do it.
    And worrying about the test results are just normal. I go through the nerves everytime I am waiting for the report back. Only to see that I worried over nothing. But better safe than sorry later. Good for you for testing!

Best of luck today! :thumbup:

10. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    No don't put biohazard on the outside of the box. Here is the site we found for packing: http://www.biotracking.com/samplecare.php

LOL! Well if I was close enough I would do it for ya. :wink: It's really not all that hard. With my first goat I turned her into a pin cushion :oops: ...but I eventually got it. Most everyone after that I did alright on. Good luck!!

11. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Joanie, how did it go? We did our girls this morning. Last time we put then in the stanchion when we pulled their blood. They moved around and kicked a lot when we did it that way. Today I decided to hogtie them and sit next to them on the ground. It was so much easier that way. They just layed there eating leaves my daughters brought them and didn't move a muscle. I could even pull their blood on my own next time. 2 of the girls actually slept through me sticking them. What a relief it is to have it done and over with and now I know I can just tie them up and do it on my own :clap:

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I never say whats in the box and I never put the biohazard label on the outside. I do on the inside. But never on the outside or your post office will be the biggest pain in the butt over shipping it.

13. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Ok well it went pretty good for us to not know what we where doing. lol The ones I thought would be pains, stood and where perfect angels. The ones I thought would be angels where nightmares. But it went good, I shook and she shook and I thought I was going to pass out, cause I was scared that we would kill one of them, but everything went good.

Ok well im just going to do the CAE testing through biotracking. Then in the spring im going to do CAE and Cl through Waddl. But I want to go ahead and test them for this now. So when I wrap the box I get that I need to put the bioharzard symbol on the inside of the box. What about the exempt animal specimen biotrack tells you to put on the outside of the box. Should I not do that. Thanks again.

14. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    You can put exempt animal specimen on the outside of the box. We did...

15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so glad... it went well for you....congrats....great job.... :thumbup: :greengrin: :hug: