Really odd stuff happening and I need help

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by mariella, Oct 22, 2020.

1. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    So yesterday we lost our entropion buckling, we woke up to him drooling with sunk in eyes and scouring and staggering when he walked. He was also a little bloated so we gave him some olive oil and ran to the store for charcoal, by the time we got him he had passed. I did a necropsy and found a black plastic bag in his stomach that was clogging the exit. I don't even know where he got the bag! It was like a shopping bag but black. We also found 10-15 adult tapeworms...

Today I went to let the girls go and everyone is scouring! 2 of them have sunk in eyes and their chins are crusty like they were throwing up! They ran to the nearest water sours and started drinking, It was the dirtiest water they could have found so I Stopped them from drinking it and got them some clean water with sea minerals in it to help them absorb the water. I had planned on just letting them drink until they stopped but they weren't stopping and they now have huge bellies.
    The other 2 look like they feel fine and they ate their food and drank a little of the water but the sick 2 didn't want any food.

I'm waiting on a call back from the vet now. I'm also going out to get a temp on them.
    If this is Toxicity how much charcoal should I give them? Mine is a loose powder.

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  2. mariella

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Oh no..im sorry!!

Activated charcoal is 1 to 3 cc per 2.2 pounds. But I wouldnt worry about being exact. More wont hurt..
    Give thiamine or b complex and CD antitoxin asap. Milk of magnesia 15 cc per 60 pounds.

4. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Powder: 1 tablespoon of powder equals 10 grams. Adult goat can have up to 50 grams. Again. Dont fuss to be exact.

5. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    with nearly the same symptoms i would be afraid of the same bag thing with the girls. Vet asap. Didnt you recently lose the goats and the neighbor had them? Is the neighbor a nasty cengeful person.....

6. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Oh Mariella. Please get a vet urgently

7. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Does sound like vet intervention is needed ASAP. I worry about entero etc. Sending you best wishes for a good outcome.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Vet and activated charcoal.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  9. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    With the same symptoms, would check for blockages (or I should say, have a vet do it), but activated charcoal and MOM is good in case of poison.

MadHouse likes this.
  10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  11. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    How are they? Like SFG wife said, I am a bit suspicious of the neighbor...

12. mariella

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    Had them to the vet and he said it's parasites? They were running fevers so he gave them Excede. He also gave them Cydectin and sent me home with some. Their temps at home were 103.9 and 104.4 but after we got to the vet they were 106.1 and 104.9. I told him about them drinking a ton of water and he didn't say anything about it what could be causing it?
    They were never staggering like Red was yesterday but I'm still worried about them...

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  13. mariella

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    I forgot to say I gave them charcoal B complex and CD&T before getting them to the vet. I did give some probiotics but I don't think it did anything.

14. GodsGarden

GodsGarden Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Colorado
    That is scary. Hope they get better.

15. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
  16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  17. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    How are they? May be beneficial to continue with AC due to the vomiting.

Could just be terrible tapeworm infestation causing blockages, I would do 3 days of safeguard or use valbazen for not pregnant does.

18. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Oh Marriella. I hope your babies feel better soon

19. mariella

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    Sorry I had a busy day. The 2 that were really bad are still scouring (it's black and I hope it's from the charcoal) but they stopped drinking a ton of water and started eating alfalfa hay.

I also figured out what happened, my dad asked me if I had seen his bucket of chicken feed that he left out side the coop... yeah we all know what happened now. I gave them some more probiotices, B complex, a shot of pen g, and clean fresh water. The other two have almost normal poop again and are eating like pigs.

totesmygoots likes this.
  20. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

So glad its sorted now