Really odd stuff happening and I need help

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by mariella, Oct 22, 2020.

1. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I'm so glad they're starting to feel better! Just a thought though...You might want to keep some CD antitoxin on hand. A CD&T is for long term protection, but the antitoxin is for immediate help. You can get it at Jeffers pretty inexpensively. It's worth the money to have it handy for goats who like chicken chow...

MadHouse and goatblessings like this.
  2. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    I honestly didn't know there was a difference, I guess I will look into getting some soon.

Something that is worrying me is I gave Cydectin to my doe that was just bred, will it affect her? She was bred 19 days ago and I'm worried she will lose the babies or that is could cause birth defects?

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Glad everyone's on the mend. As stated..CD&T and CD Antitoxin are not the same.

Cd&t is a vaccine..toxoid. stays in the system to protect against Enterotoxemia and Tetanus. It takes 2 weeks for it to do its job.

CD ANTITOXIN is an antitoxin ..it treats and offers short term protection. Its job is to rid the body of toxins.

As for Cydectin, time will tell. Some sware its safe during pregnancy and others it has caused both miscarriage and deformed kids. May depend on how far along mom is.
    Edit : by Cydectin jm assuming you mean cattle pour on? Sheep drench and Quest have had no complaints that I aware of.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    May want to give 1 more dose of MOM to the scouring ones to flush in case of enterotoxemia.

That chicken feed does nasty things. :(

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. mariella

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    Yes, it's the Cydectin cattle pour-on, I'm okay rebreeding her but if she doesn't lose the kids then I'm worried about deformities but I guess time will tell.
    One of the girls had a cold mouth this morning but I think she was chewing the fence when I came up and it's pretty cold out today.
    Both of them have soft poop today so it's no longer squirting when they sneeze.

7. GodsGarden

GodsGarden Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Colorado
    Glad you found the source and they seem on the mend. :)

MadHouse likes this.
  8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Getting temps would be a good idea..stay ahead of anything.

toth boer goats likes this.
  9. mariella

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    Lol, I did she was 102.4 and the other 102.6, She had me running to get the thermometer quite literally. My sister was just laughing after I took her temp. she keeps biting us today like bottle babies do when they are hungry.

happybleats likes this.
  10. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    ok we had a buck get into (and eat it all!) 5 gallons of oats and barley, then continue to eat all of the chicken food in the chickens feeder, which was about a pound. I am still not sure how he didnt die, even the vet was flabbergasted when he looked at him. He was expecting to see a goat in the corner of the trailer laying down, hunched, and half dead, but we made sure to keep him moving. It helped him get rid of that gas. he got out of his fence. He was a really good jumper, thats one reason he was sold.

I dont have his medical papers, because we sold him, but he had very similar symptoms of your babies. he never threw up, but when I offered him grain he would gag, poor dude.

So heres what we did
    Drench baking soda water 2x per day. 60cc each time.
    free choice baking soda untill his bloating went down. (not sure if yours are bloated though)
    LOTS of probios and hay (if he wanted it)
    Activated charcoal
    took him to the vet and they were gonna give a CD anti toxin, but it was the day after, so too late, so he gave him something else, i forget what it was called. as well as a booster of his CDT vaccine.
    oh im trying to think...
    lots of water, which your girls took that into their own hands!
    b-complex every 4-6 hours
    Also, made sure his breathing was good. kept his air way clear. When they arent super active, it clogs up so bad. a little bit of tea tree rubbed on his nose, dilluted of course.
    Rubbed belly untill the gas was coming out both ends.

Really thats all i can think of. ill try to find the thread!

MadHouse likes this.
  11. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    ok i found the thread
    https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads...gallons-of-grain-he-isnt-feeling-well.211989/

here is what the vet did

MadHouse likes this.
  12. mariella

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    @Nigerian dwarf goat That would have scared me so bad!!!

Today we have normal temps and normal poops! They have been running around bucking and kicking like they are newborns.

happybleats and MellonFriend like this.
  13. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Glad everyone is ok.

alicejane likes this.
  14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California