The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple does 1 doeling and one full grown really. They are both ROUND I am thinking gassy? They eat hay and minerals how's that even possible to get gas from hay? They just seem really poooooofy I have no buck so it's impossible for them to be preggers. Neither seem at all bothered by their plumpness.

I am giving them gasX tomorrow. Any objections lol?
Thanks.

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Could be they have awesome rumens...bloat will be very hard, especially on the left side where the rumen is at...the left side may be up high as well...
here is a link to see pix on bloat
http://goat-link.com/content/view/16/81/#.UkeVfmSDTL8

as long as they are eating, drinking, pooping berries, peeing bright eye alert and active...I wouldnt worry ..just keep an eye on things..leaving out a bit of baking soda free choice will help..they will eat it when they know they need it..

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yahoooow good rumens I LIKE IT! I didn't know that was a thing that makes me super happy! They are not hard at all and sides are equally fluffy. I do have free choice baking soda out there. They are totally happy, energetic, breathing normal.

I have had a goat get bloat before and they are nothing like it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Just a very fast active rumen probably, twice this year I had the vet out for one of my goats that was so big I thought for sure was bloat. When the vet arrived the goat took off running, haha he knew who she was. The vet said the same thing as the others put out baking soda if he needs it he will take it. He blew up again today and it's hard not think its bloat. I watch him and he is eating hay like a machine. He is huge on both sides yet acts just fine. Put your ear to their side or even better a stethoscope and wow you can hear it churning away

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
I know what you are saying...I have several doelings and 2 of them look a little bloaty all the time. Still eating and drinking...been dewormed. Scary! I have been sitting with them before bed, and rubbing that big tummy until they burp or I hear the rumen turning. Good luck.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Wide stomachs mean the "rumen factory" is in good, working order. :thumb: As long as the tummies aren't tight and they aren't uncomfortable, they should be fine.

How I tell if mine are overweight is if the flesh around their tailbone is squishy -- if I have trouble feeling the tailbone.

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
Parasites are everywhere. You end up seeing just about everything on you farm as time goes by. It has been too long to really say the buck brought it in.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Okay I am back my doeling is still poofy mama is not. I just refreshed their baking soda for like the 4th time I think I am on 4. Anyway doeling is soft on the right side and firm on the left. Like I am straddling her facing her head. SO my right is her right. My last thought is she's preg? Dear God I hope not. I don't have a buck and she's too young. Haven't the entire time I have had her. So here's her behind. Sorry she just pooed. Actually in the pictures you don't see how dang big her sides are, don't know how I did that. Still herself, not acting abnormal. She's not as agile though she still jumps up on everything.
HELLO my pictures all flipped. I can't fix it. Yikes I hope you can tell.
3/4 nigi and 1/4 lamancha

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
Is she starting to get an udder? When was the last time you had a buck in with them and how old was she? Or do you have a buck right next to them?

Is she in distress?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't have a buck. I don't keep one. I got her at 4 months. She's almost 7 months now. She doesn't look distressed just mowing the hay. It's not alfalfa just orchard grass and timothy hay. Seems to be breathing fine, runs around. Seems totally normal just overly poofy. I was thinking maybe 1 kid making her hard on one side not the other or she just gorged herself on hay and I came out before she's digested? I can't tell from their behind that's why I posted the pic

You can see her teats in the pic but I don't think an udder is forming. .

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
she has been consistently big but when I Just went out there she was big-ger. When I first posted this it would go down a little. I haven't noticed the decline which is why I swapped out the baking soda just in case it was soiled.

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
You could always treat her with gas-x or drench her with baking soda to see if it helps.

You could also send blood in to BioTracking to verify pregnancy if she was living with a buck before you got her.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
checking to see if the pic uploaded correct this time, nope
I am going out to check her. maybe I can rub her enough to get her to toot lol

She got tight so I could not massage but I kept on. I feel her bag area is soft but the same as my other doeling her age (came From a different place). She let me give her a major rub down when she finally relaxed again right side cushy left side tight. I heard her rumen gurgle and she pooped haha I stimulated something. So she may just need more baking soda? That would make me happier than a preggers goat. I completely cut her off of grain, but I only gave 2 cups between 3 goats just as a treat.

Today she was less poofy, false alarm. She's making me a wreck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts