The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. First off I need to give a little background on my little guy. My neighbor brought him to me when he was 10 days old. I actually thought he was dead when I first saw him. He had FKS and unfortunately hadn't been taken care of properly since birth. With round the clock care I somehow managed to save him. All he could do after the first week was raise his head, but couldn't hold it up so it "bobbed", hence his name...Bob! After 6 weeks of intensive care he was walking and running, then advanced to jumping and climbing with all the other kids. Now to my concern...he is now 3 years old (and the light of my life) and he is exceptionally skinny. There is no fat or meat around his backbone or hips. He is negative for all worms. He eats, drinks and poops normally. His eyelids are a nice rosy pink. He is in a pasture with mostly bermuda grass and some St. Augustine. We keep round bales of coastal available. As you can see from the photos, all the others look beautiful. I have been giving him high protein pellets and also homemade "treats" laced with vitamin B complex and Red Cell. Any suggestions on anything else I can do to try to put some weight on him? I am extremely worried about him.
Thanks in advance for any help with this.
Copy of Copy of Bob 1.jpg

Copy of 1.jpg
Copy of 2.jpg

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Wow, what a lot of work you did to save him as a baby! Great job.

I would recommend you start with a blood test for Johne's Disease and GS6.

I know you said negative for all worms - does that include the special fecal flotation to check for Liver Fluke?

How often and what does he receive for mineral supplements? Are his front legs typically splayed like that or is it just in the photo?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Wow, what a lot of work you did to save him as a baby! Great job.

I would recommend you start with a blood test for Johne's Disease and GS6.

I know you said negative for all worms - does that include the special fecal flotation to check for Liver Fluke?

How often and what does he receive for mineral supplements? Are his front legs typically splayed like that or is it just in the photo?
Exactly this^^

Does he have loose minerals?

Disease test. Sedimentation test for flukes.

Free choice hay as much as he wants.

Would start on Dyne, maybe some beet pulp or calf Manna.

Start on garlic daily.

·
Registered
30,547 Posts
Awe...he looks sweet. I agree with above advice. He really needs to build a healthy rumen. I would add to the suggestion dark beer and probiotics. I would try 2 times a day for three days..then assess. Smoothies are great ways to get more calories into him...dark greens like kale, Romain lettuce..kelp..alfalfa..add some carrot and celery and garlic clove..blend in electrolytes. Can add yogurt too. Apples..banana..mix it up some. I would definitely redo a fecal..include coccidia and liver fluke I recommend meadow mist labs..she is good and affordable. Blood work is a good idea. Also leaves are good food..pine..cedar..offer lots of choices.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
@crazyboutgoats you came to the right spot!

When did you start giving him the "high protein pellets"? Can we see a pic of the feed label?

·
Registered
955 Posts
My buck started getting very skinny awhile back. He was worm free, eating fresh hay, and a small amount of grain. He was in goat heaven. Turns out all he needed was some extra minerals on his food every morning. Now he is plump and his hair is shiny and soft.
Is his hair really oily or clumped together? Kind of looks like it from the photo.

·
Fair-Haven
4,705 Posts
As an FYI - most labs test for Johnes via blood sample. G6S is a hair sample (you need the root) -I do mine through UC Davis - if you are an ADGA member there is a discount and you will be able to order the entire instructions through them along with a mailing envelope, etc. Seems like there is something going on with him blocking the absorption of nutrients. Both tests would be valuable to you to help you pinpoint the problem.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
As an FYI - most labs test for Johnes via blood sample. G6S is a hair sample (you need the root) -I do mine through UC Davis - if you are an ADGA member there is a discount and you will be able to order the entire instructions through them along with a mailing envelope, etc. Seems like there is something going on with him blocking the absorption of nutrients. Both tests would be valuable to you to help you pinpoint the problem.
Thanks for clarifying that!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts