The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really do not wish to deal with CL. On one of my last post with the lady selling goats most likely having it and still selling goats all over out here scares me. I also do not want a goat I sell culled because they test positive for it.
Maybe if we tattooed CLV for having the vaccine?
I read the reviews on Jeffers on the goat vaccine for it and articles on it. Most articles are older ones on the sheep version.
Maybe the ones that have the shot with reg papers can have a note on it?
I also thought people might lie that have CL.
I am really thinking of doing to protect my heard.
Has any one here used this vaccine? If so pro/con?
Here are the reviews on the goat version.

- Wednesday, January 02, 2013 Two Days Later Reviewed By: Lisa (Ash Grove, MO) Vaccinated 64 goats 2 days ago. No swelling or other side effects; now we wait for day 14 or second round of vaccinations. I hope it works.
- Wednesday, August 29, 2012 Thanks! Reviewed By: S (S, tn) I gave this to all 12 of my goats yesterday. No problems at all. Thanks!
- Friday, August 17, 2012 So far so good Reviewed By: Margo (West Plains, MO) Out of 32 animals I only have two or three with localized swelling from the first injection. The goats DON'T appear bothered by it either. If it works it will be worth it.
- Friday, August 10, 2012 Knots too..... Reviewed By: New Goat Farmer... (New Bremen, Ohio) A new goat farmer who has 5 young and 2 olders does. After doing much research I decided to use this product versus the CaseBac product it seems so many are using. Our goats also go localized lumps at injection site although nothing has developed yet. At this point I'm trusting the product and it's producers that this is the best route to get started with a long term clean herd....
- Tuesday, August 07, 2012 Knots Reviewed By: MKHA (Hopkinsville, KY) I too got knots at the site of the injection on most of the goats innoculated. I will prob give under the arm in the future to avoid knots on the neck. Also, the 20 dose vial did not include 20 doses (I got 15ml from the first bottle and had to order a 2nd vial).
Just thinking this may be an option. We are starting to show a little and this might be a little more protection.
What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I used it on 4 does that had already been vaccinated by the last owners with the sheep vaccine. 3 out of the 4 got huge injection site abcesses from it, two of those burst. I never used it on the rest of my herd. I had wanted to vaccinate because we were thinking of showing but just never did.
I did end up testing them for CL a few months after giving the vaccine to see how high of a result they would actually be. They were very very low positives, so would still be possible to distinquish the vaccine from an actual infection if you do end up using it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts