The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This rain is starting to really get to me.......I keep telling myself to count my blessings ; it could be a lot worse. I know that but it's getting ridiculous with the rain here!
Everything is swampy,smelly and just plain unpleasant :( Everything in my house is sweating...the freezer, the toilets, the water pressure tank! Not to mention the chores are becoming a pain to do it's so slick from mud :( We have been digging trenches to drain the water, but there is just too much of it!
The animals are tired of it...even the waterfowl are getting sick of being wet. :eek:

I'm trying not to get depressed but it's getting harder to do! :(

Anyone else feel like me? I feel bad complaining when I think of how bad it is for some people, but it's still just darn depressing!

Gives me a new respect for Noah and his family....sheesh! 40 days and 40 nights?! I don't think I'd have made it!

Anyway, just venting a bit since I don't really get out much away from the house, I come on here and vent to you poor folks!
Thanks for listening

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i hear you Stephanie. sometimes it rains here for for a month or more (longest stretch i've had was almost 3 months of rain...anything from misty to full on down pour ALL DAY).

if it makes you feel better, it's humid here all the time, all year round. i have clothes that if they spend one week too many in my closet, there will be mold on it.

chin up...the sun has to shine at some point, right? that's what i tell myself.....

:hug:

·
14,615 Posts
Oh Nygoatmom, I feel your pain. There are seasons where the ground is completley saturated; new puddles where they've never been before.
One winter I literally cried almost every day while doing chores it was so bad & no end in sight.
Try as we might at times being thankful seems hopeless. Lord just get her through this.
Trust me, your goats will survive & so will you.:hug:

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
I feel for you. I hate when bad weather is around for a long period of time. You are getting a lot of rain and we are wishing we would get a little more. Amazing how that works out.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh Nygoatmom, I feel your pain. There are seasons where the ground is completley saturated; new puddles where they've never been before.
One winter I literally cried almost every day while doing chores it was so bad & no end in sight.
Try as we might at times being thankful seems hopeless. Lord just get her through this.
Trust me, your goats will survive & so will you.:hug:
Thanks so much nancyd....I felt like a fool earlier because I just started crying when i saw the forecast! I'm an outdoor person, and where I live winter is long...so these few months are precious to me!
Thanks a million :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I feel your pain! Spent most of last weekend trying to dry everything out after it rained SIDEWAYS into the barn. We had to have the neighbor bring his backhoe down to dig a trench around the barn to divert the water. Now I'm doing chores, trying to navigate a series of boards as bridges over the trench with my wheelbarrow. The digging left everything all torn up and muddy.

Half our lawn looks like a hay field because the lawn mower is sunk up to the axles in mud, and it's too wet to pull it out with the tractor.

My kiddos are having a ball though. I don't have to worry about what they are doing while I milk. They are busy making mud pies.

Hang in there, it can't last forever! I think....

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I feel your pain! Spent most of last weekend trying to dry everything out after it rained SIDEWAYS into the barn. We had to have the neighbor bring his backhoe down to dig a trench around the barn to divert the water. Now I'm doing chores, trying to navigate a series of boards as bridges over the trench with my wheelbarrow. The digging left everything all torn up and muddy.

Half our lawn looks like a hay field because the lawn mower is sunk up to the axles in mud, and it's too wet to pull it out with the tractor.

My kiddos are having a ball though. I don't have to worry about what they are doing while I milk. They are busy making mud pies.

Hang in there, it can't last forever! I think....
I'm sure it won't, but it feels like it! We are in Renns. County....right on the border of Mass and Vt...

That sucks about the mower....My goats must be prissy, they hate the icky mud!

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Thanks nchen7....wow! it's that rainy in Barbados? How do you handle it with the goats pens?
oh yes!! when it's rainy season, it gets RAINY. when i first moved down, it rained from halloween night (tripocal storm) to like february, maybe a week or two of dry weather. i was paler then than i was in the middle of winter in Ontario!

it hasn't been that rainy since i got goats, so i haven't had to deal with that......yet. hopefully it won't be as rainy this fall.... where we live it gets SUPER muddy......the girls HATE walking in mud. they glare at me all the time, like on saturday when we had a tropical wave come by......they were NOT pleased!

·
14,615 Posts
When it rains no one comes out of the shelter & they wont go drink water, they catch drips.:rolleyes:
One day I looked out & saw our new young buck doing it, his lady friend had set the example. Then it got so he'd shove her aside to catch them. I guess she found the best drips or something.:coffee2:

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I'm sick of the rain too... :( it's depressing.. I think it's been rainy for like 2-3 weeks! :( "rain rain go away..." :p

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When it rains no one comes out of the shelter & they wont go drink water, they catch drips.:rolleyes:
One day I looked out & saw our new young buck doing it, his lady friend had set the example. Then it got so he'd shove her aside to catch them. I guess she found the best drips or something.:coffee2:
:slapfloor: How cute is that!

·
Registered
2 Posts
This has been the worst summer here in my area of NY for rain. Gardens over watered, goats absolutely miserable since they act like just about every rain drop is pure acid :( feeling worse for them than me but I am sure ready for this to end!!!

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
I'll gladly take the rain and spot you the 97* it's been here. My goats haven't even shed out completely poor buggers. They don't mind rain, they walk up and down in the water grazing. We are not used to this stuff. Although it is kind of funny to watch Evergreen trying to seed clouds...and it fails every time.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts