The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
:doh: My goodness... Occasionally, I am ashamed of my species....

When we went to the fairgrounds, people mistook our 7 month old Boer wethers for dogs. Dogs. Besides that one Oklahoma wether-sire that could've been a Bull Terrier, goats look nothing like dogs.

But Sarah does pose a good point... :shrug:

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
OMG a rooster, and dogs sheesh. That is worse than this, at least goats and sheep are fairly similar. I thought it might not be a native speaker also, that they may just not know the correct term for goat.

·
Never poke a sleeping Pom...
149 Posts
Sadly, we have had city people come to the farm because they were told we breed and sell 'miniature deer'....:p

·
Registered
818 Posts
At the fair, a girl I used to play soccer with was showing me how to show her market lamb for round robin. A little boy and his mom came over, and she asked if they wanted to pet the goat. And she was 2nd place for showmanship. :hammer:

My Alpine doe does look like a deer, but at least people realize she is a goat most of the time. :p

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
I had someone here buying a rabbit and the kid pointed to my guineas and asked, " Are those ducks?". HA. Ha ha. I wish, kid.

Those are most likely Katahdin hair sheep. *Maybe* Blackhead Persian hair sheep.

·
Registered
462 Posts
My 4h leader had a man come up to her at the county fair and tell her she had nice camels. They were Nigerian dwarfs...:doh:

I agree with Sarah, I bet he just didn't know the word for sheep and figured 'goat' was close enough...:lol:

·
I'm watching you
22,265 Posts
One time I was told to get my "donkey" off the boat ramp by a grumpy fisherman. I still ask Bean if he's a donkey with giant scurs.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I have to admit, prior to owning goats, I didn't REALLY know the difference between goats and sheep (yes.....i'm a city girl). I could probably pick out an alpine as a goat, but those fibre goats look awfully like sheep sometimes....

HOWEVER, if you're selling something, you should really know what you're selling.....

·
Registered
120 Posts
I worked at a u-pick pumpkin patch when I was a kid. A woman from the city insisted that the jersey calf in the petting zoo was not a cow. She was convinced it was a camel because she knew that all cows are black and white. She got really mad when I couldn't stop laughing.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
^^ :ROFL: that's hilarious! She certainly didn't read her "animals on the farm" book!

and...if that cow was a camel, where was the hump?

·
I'm watching you
22,265 Posts
Nah uh, everyone knows that camels don't have humps unless they drink a couple hundred gallons of water :rolleyes: :D

1 - 20 of 104 Posts