The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i have a 1.5 year old wether, and he seems to have a habit of laying in a position in which his rear legs fall asleep. at least thats what i think is happening.

when he gets up, he will kinda dangle one of his rear legs in mid air kinda floating around a little bit, and then alternate until after a while he stops. if you get him to walk around while "his legs are still asleep", he kinda walks bowlegged.

after about 10 or 15 minutes though, he will be back to normal pretty much, he will do his little excited goat dance normally, and run normally, etc.

we believe this all started after he had a habit of jumping up on a shelf in his shed and sitting up there, sometimes with a leg hanging off the side, other times just curled up or whatever.

is this something to worry about, is it a disease or problem, or is it just harmless limb-falling-asleep?

just recently, ive gotten half the mind to prevent him from gettin up there so he cant dangle his legs down and stuff, just in case.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
It could be an injury that's causing a pinched nerve but are there any other odd things going on like is he not focussing his eyes well? Or changes in his weight or appetitie?
If it is a bit of arthritis, an anti-inflammitory will help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
could it be that we are not trimming his hooves quite right?

i have often wondered that, but i thought we were.

i notice he seems to occasionally walk on the tip of his rear hooves but im not 100% on that, it could just be how hes standing...

perhaps that is what is causing it, and he has some slight pain?

i dont know, just poking out for some suggestions...

thank you all for the warm welcome, btw! ive been a lurker for a while!

and thanks for all the help, too!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Can you post a picture? I can't quite see what you're explaining.
It is not normal for him to be doing what you originally said. But I can see that trimming might create some soreness if it was off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i will post pics as sooon as i can

i meant, that we are letting his hooves grow too long and stuff, not that we are cutting into the quick or whatever, it but nonetheless i will post pics asap

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Welcome to the goat spot. Glad you are here. :wave: OK did I miss what kind of goats you have?

I do second the thought of the hoofs. How long have you had the goat? Maybe he was hurt before you got him. Just a thought. Does he act like he hurts or that his leg is just asleep?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
he is a pygmy, and we have had him since he was 2 months old, so weve had him for a real long time.

i dont believe he is acting like he hurts. he isnt really laying down excessively (but it is hot as hell out here in middle GA so he is resting a lot in the shade on our porch) and he will walk all the way around the house and graze and stuff. i can grab him anywhere on his leg and haunches and stuff, and squeeze and move his leg around to see if it hurts him, although im not sure how he would react if he WAS hurting, he doesnt do anything to get away fast, or scream or nothing.

still trying to get pics but im gonna have to borrow a camera cuz our digital camera is a piece of trash

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kk got a few vids, sorry if they are long and boring but you can skip around or watch all of them if u wanna see some funny stuff :)
i have yet to get a vid of how his leg seems to be asleep though, but these show how he acts and stuff normally.

here is one with me messing around with him and chasing him and getting him to run and jump and stuff, and you can see his leg placement and how he walks...
action starts at 2:57
http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s309 ... V02560.flv

and this vid is about his hooves and how he stands on them sometimes....
sorry for the big grunt @ around 0:50
at around 0:18 you can see how he stands on his tip-toes (hooves lol)
http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s309 ... V02562.flv

i will continue to try to get a vid of how he acts with his leg all wonky..

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
my graphics card on my laptop is terrible but that said I do believe his hooves have somethign wrong with them or they are not trimmed right.

he favors his back right and lifts it off the ground when he stands ever so slightly. This could be a hip problem too or that could be his worst hoof.

some plan pictures of how he stands and walks would help me as my computer doesn't like videos.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have to agree with Stacey. His hooves look very strange. Pictures would be helpful, I would want to see one of his hooves.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I have a question. How long have you had this guy and has he done this all the time that you have had him?
Pictures of the whole hoof, side while it is on the ground and the under part.

Is his thigh on that leg swollen? Does he have a lump there? It looks like it to me. I really think it was a injury that he had and either it is not totally healed OR healed and is not healed correct.
What I would do is massage that thigh and down his leg, see if that will help.

just my two cents.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hes only been doing it for about 2 or so months, the leg falling asleep thing. i have only just noticed his hoof thing for the past week however.

i will check for a lump when i get home.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts