The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doe #5 kidded today with triplets. She was on day 148, so a couple of days overdue for a ND. Normal pre-labor, labor, and delivery. Less than 15 minutes of pushing and I was there the whole time.

Kid #1 came out and I though she was stillborn at first. No blink reflex and not moving at all. Got her suctioned out and rubbed vigorously and she started breathing, but not well. Couldn’t hold her head up. I had my husband keep rubbing her while I dealt with the subsequent two, both perfectly normal and active.

She cried out a couple of times but was never able to hold her head up. Zero suck reflex. I wasn’t sure what to do to help her so I tubed some colostrum into her then gave 1/4 cc BoSe and 2 cc b vitamins. She was likely dying as I gave her the shots, her breathing was sporadic and she passed shortly after.

Any idea why a full term kid who was fully formed and looked perfectly normal would be born on death’s doorstep? Is there anything else we could have tried to save her? Dam got our usual pre-kidding BoSe and CDT 3.5 weeks ago. Free choice minerals, copper bolused as needed, alfalfa and grass hay.

·
Super Moderator
58,202 Posts
The umbilical for her may not have been fully attached or the other 2 may have just gotten more from Mom. Iodine deficiency in mom can cause a weak/dead female kid.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I’ll paint the does tail webbing and see about iodine deficiency. We do feed kelp, so I’d be surprised if she is but will still check.

·
8,066 Posts
Sometimes it is just, I don't know, bad luck? Poor position inside, something went wrong during the development, so many things and no answers. Sorry for your loss but glad you did get some lively kids too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts