The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Don't forget CAE prevention! Bottle feeding is absolutely fine if that is what people want to do. There are tons of decent feed options if you don't have their dam's milk there to feed them, too, so no one needs to feel like they aren't doing right by their kids if they bottle feed.

I do think baby goats that are going to live with other goats (I.E. not exclusively be housepets) need to have a lot of time with other goats as babies so they can also bond with other goats (a goat who has only bonded to humans is going to be a very sad goat when the human sends it to live in the barn and it has to learn at an older age that it is actually a goat not a people) but everyone I know who bottle feeds either bottle feeds a group of kids or has their kid in a barn very early on where it can see and talk to and sometimes even live with other goats.

i consider all of these very valid reasons for bottle feeding.... except maybe the first two... lol! I've had both (my own are dam raised but I have bought bottle babies and bottle fed one of my own because i sold her mom and got her back) and I have never had a kid either bottle or dam raised who wasn't a complete people crazy lap-goat. The only difference I have seen is that my bottle babies require a much firmer hand to be respectful as they grow up, to not be obnoxiously pushy. Never had any issue selling my kids as pets, you step in the stall and the kids are allll over you. That is because i spend a LOT of time with my goats and I handle them a lot. THAT is the trick to friendly kids. It doesn't so much matter for friendliness if you are giving them their milk or not but it does matter that 2 to 4 times a day you are out there for a good deal of time loving on them.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.