The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
10,704 Posts
Good reasons! :) I don't see anything wrong with bottle-raising at all, as long as the babies get plenty of love. I've had two bottle babies I have bought. The first is wonderful. Very friendly, though I think she was spoiled because it is hard to set boundaries with her, and she tends to challenge people. But I adore her and she'll be staying here till old age does us part. The second was completely different. Sure she was tame, but not very friendly. She came from a large herd, and unlike the first doe, I don't think she got the same amount of love, and thus grew up without a momma. I think they need a momma - be that momma human or goatie. :)

I bottle to suppliment and it is loads of fun, but because I have a small herd, the friendliness has never been an issue. The doe that is most "bottle baby" like never touched a bottle, and is more lovey than my actual bottle babies. :laugh: I also prefer to do things as naturally as possible. I feel the udder should be able to handle raising kids (though, of course, if they are preferring one side I even things out).

Anyway, I think your reasons are excellent ones, and I LOVE the deversity in the group, because it goes to show there's no "right" or "wrong" way. There are different ways, and plenty of options to find what works best for your situation. :thumb:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.