The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Care giver of 4 milkers, one doeling, and One beau
800 Posts
i consider all of these very valid reasons for bottle feeding.... except maybe the first two... lol! I've had both (my own are dam raised but I have bought bottle babies and bottle fed one of my own because i sold her mom and got her back) and I have never had a kid either bottle or dam raised who wasn't a complete people crazy lap-goat. The only difference I have seen is that my bottle babies require a much firmer hand to be respectful as they grow up, to not be obnoxiously pushy. Never had any issue selling my kids as pets, you step in the stall and the kids are allll over you. That is because i spend a LOT of time with my goats and I handle them a lot. THAT is the trick to friendly kids. It doesn't so much matter for friendliness if you are giving them their milk or not but it does matter that 2 to 4 times a day you are out there for a good deal of time loving on them.[/QUOTE]
When I had does I let one raise her own and bottle fed the rest. The ones who weren't bottle fed were split one was reasonably friendly and the other was scared to death of humans. I think that bottle feeding is great but it is definitely hard work. It definitely could hurt the does udder though I found it a good thing for my FF to have the babies nursing. It helped her udder develop but I'm bottle feeding her kids this year since she has such a nice udder.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.