The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my doeling that I just reburned, the horn buds are bleeding a lot. I thought that I was supposed to burn any spots that were bleeding, but it just isn't stopping so I let her go and put wonder dust on it, but it's not really helping. I don't know what to do now, and I'm super stressed out and it was very stressful on her, so I don't know what to do! @happybleats @ksalvagno

·
Super Moderator
32,305 Posts
How is she now??

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We about have the bleeding stopped. We were alternating cold compress and adding wonder dust to it every eight to ten minutes. I just don't understand what happened. I don't know if I just didn't burn long enough or what. Sorry to have freaked you guys out. I'm just a bit freaked myself.

I'm worried about her knocking into it now. I'm thinking of putting some sort of pad on it, vet wrap around her chin and maybe some tape on the vet wrap to keep it in place.

·
Super Moderator
32,305 Posts
Good job getting it to stop. I wpuldnt wrap it if its done bleeding. Air helps dry things out. Don't want it to stay moist.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sometimes they bleed like that. Did you make sure to get a copper ring?
Honestly I'm not sure. I might have. I just felt like I needed to stop for her sake. I don't care if she gets a scur, and I don't regret trying, but I knew I just couldn't go on.

Good job getting it to stop. I wpuldnt wrap it if its done bleeding. Air helps dry things out. Don't want it to stay moist.
The problem is she kept itching it and it would start bleeding again. The wonder dust seems to have really helped in the drying department. I feel like I should keep it wrapped at least for tonight.

She's doing fine though. Eating, drinking from Mom, trying to fight the other kids, so that's all I needed to see to feel better about it. I applaud those who can reburn, but I don't think I'm one of them. I'd rather deal with scurs than go through that again.

·
Super Moderator
32,305 Posts
ACV can help with some of that itching and such. Wrapping for the night shouldn't be a problem. I wouldnt keep it wrapped much longer than that.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ACV can help with some of that itching and such. Wrapping for the night shouldn't be a problem. I wouldnt keep it wrapped much longer than that.
I did put acv on it right after, but I think she must have bled it off. I'll make sure to take the bandage off tomorrow.

I am so sorry you had to go through that ordeal. Air hugs being sent your way. A sanitary napkin makes a nice soft, absorbent gauze pad if you have some of those on hand.
I actually have some gauze pads that I put on her head, but thanks for the suggestion and the air hugs. 🤗

·
Registered
791 Posts
From my experience if they itch after like that more often then not they haven’t been burned long enough. I don’t blame you for calling it quits, I remember my first dozen or so disbuddings and it’s nerve wracking! But it won’t always be that horrific.
Also right or wrong if they knock that cap off and it bleeds, head wounds bleed! I grab a handful of flour and hold on and it usually stops the bleeding ;)

·
Super Moderator
32,305 Posts
Hows her temp? As long as it's not sub. Banamine can help reduce swelling. A cold compresses can help as well.

·
Registered
672 Posts
My doeling just got disbudded a couple days ago. She bled alot too. Litterally looked like a crime scene,, freaked me out. The lady held gauze until it stopped bleeding, then washed it off and put a piece of gauze under a sock thing over her head. We kept it on for a couple hours, but by that night she was acting normal and wanted it off. We are now spraying BlueKote on it every morning. She said if we see any swelling or anything to give her children's Benadryl

1 - 17 of 17 Posts