Reburning?? at 8 weeks old??

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by peggy, Jun 6, 2016.

1. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I have an 8 week old buckling that appears to be getting some growth on one side where we burned him. It is not noticeable to the eye but I can feel it when I pet his head. Just barely there but does seem to be horn tissue. He was burned at 4 days old and we got a good copper ring. Should I reburn or leave it and hope it doesn't grow into an ugly scur. It took this long to grow that much...... Is he too old to burn without causing complications. Thanks

2. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    I think you ca re burn at any age.

3. cathys

cathys Crimson Heart Goats

Jun 1, 2016
    Battle Ground, WA
    Reburning

We did it on our 8 week old buck and it looks like it took. I think I read as long as the burning iron gets good contact around the scur/horn, you can reburn. Make sure to do the copper ring and circle eight pattern. I think the breeder we got him from just did a single ring.

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

5. capracreek

capracreek Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2016
    Missouri
    This is the first I have heard of a figure 8 burn. Could you please explain how you do this?
    Thanks

6. cathys

Jun 1, 2016
    Battle Ground, WA
    Figure 8

Pictures here:

http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f197/just-disbudded-buckling-did-i-do-figure-eight-right-129566/ (the top picture has nice copper rings)

There is also a diagram in Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats:

http://www.amazon.com/Storeys-Guide-Raising-Dairy-Goats/dp/1603425802

Basically, bucks have extra hormones for horns and their horns come in more sideways than does do. It's described as a tear drop shape. When you disbud you might notice a little ridge that runs forward from the main horn bud, you basically put your iron there for a second circle (making an eight) to make sure to get all of the buck's bud. I guess bucks aren't 100% even if you do that, but if you do that by the proper age and get a good copper ring, you won't likely get scurs.

7. cathys

Jun 1, 2016
    Battle Ground, WA
    Also I like to shave before disbudding so I can clearly see the ridge, horn bud, and scur (if it's started growing).

8. cathys

Jun 1, 2016
    Battle Ground, WA
    Figure 8

Figure 8 is only for bucklings/wethers.

9. I had my first goats disbudded by a goat savvy vet. She removed a scur from my buckling when I took him in for an unrelated issue, just noticed it in handling him. He was four months old, and was reburned. She told me that if the iron fits around the scur, it can be reburned.

10. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    So I reburned the little fellow. He took it a little hard when doing it but was fine right away once we let him go. It looks good now.

11. capracreek

capracreek Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2016
    Missouri
    Thank you for the info. I appreciate it.