The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of our older does (7 years old) kidded at 3am yesterday (Sunday), 2 healthy little bucklings. Normal birth, over in an hour or so, no fuss. Saw the afterbirth and it seemed normal. This is her 4th freshening.

Back story, about 3-4 weeks prior to kidding she seemed to be really struggling to walk. We had started putting the herd back out on pasture after snow melt, and going to and from the barn was a struggle for her, especially her back legs seeming stiff. I chocked it up to her seeming quite large (we anticipated large twins or triplets), and her age. She got a copper bolus and selenium paste a month ago, then a week prior to kidding I gave her Vit B Complex gel, probios gel, and another multivitamin gel. We kept her inside the barn for the last two weeks to minimize her walking to and from pasture.

Yesterday after kidding, the bucklings nursed well, and all seemed fine, though as the day went on I noticed that she was spending much less time tending to the kids than she has in the past. Not ignoring, but preoccupied with her own dealings. She also had a waning appetite, at grass and hay well in the morning, but not into the evening. Drank about 2 gallons yesterday. Last night upon checking them around 8pm, I noticed she was standing and rocking, and pawing at the ground. She was also expelling a bit of blood, and some tissue-looking (afterbirthy?) bits. We gave her another dose of the B complex gel & probios, warm water w/ molasses/salt/ACV. Oh we also dosed her with fenbendazole yesterday.

Today we called a local vet (who is out in the field all day and tomorrow, unable to come to us), and we don't have any other large animal vets around unfortunately. The vet suggested we do a uterine irrigation as she seems to be trying to expell/clean something out. We did so (1 gallon warm water w/ 1/4c of iodine). It did seem to flush her a bit but still expelling blood. She also has gone from wet semi-loose stools last night to full diarrhea today. The blood discharge does NOT smell off or foul. Diarrhea was black earlier today but has changed to more of a green since the uterine irrigation.

She has been up and down all day, and when she's up she's straining and rocking a bit, some pawing. When she lays down, it is difficult for her, stiff in the back legs. Her belly seems still quite full, so I bounced but didn't feel anything. My wife scrubbed up and went in just past her wrist and also didn't feel anything. We've done another round of B Complex and probios today, as well as a drench (45ml) of Goat Liqui-Drench. She has almost zero appetite, and not much for drinking either. Tried giving her some alfalfa pellets. No grain. Her temp was 105.6 this morning and 104.5 this afternoon. I'm at a loss of what to do next. Oh we also gave her a dose of penicillin after we did the uterine irrigation as well as going in with hand to check her.

Any thoughts? I'll try and upload a couple videos of her to help show what's going on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She went in further again yesterday, just shy of her elbow, as far as she could physically go. She didn't feel anything but her hand obviously came out bloody and did have some almost whiteish 'bits' mixed in with the blood?

She's better today it seems, still not completely but her temp is down to 102.2 and she's got more of an appetite back, eating fresh grass and hay and drinking some more. Still struggling to get up and down, but is more alert and active today.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts