The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
8,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our weather turned from sunny and hot to rainy, cold and windy in one day.. Naturally, this happened the day after I disbudded everyone, (13 kids).
This morning, all was fine- kids bouncing around, does ate all their feed, water buckets had been drank out of, hay was almost gone, etc.

I refilled everything and went to work. This eve. a couple does (Alpines) didn't eat any of their grain- I dumped it out and gave them grain from a different bin, nope- wouldn't eat. They hadn't eaten much hay, water was still full and the one doe was all hunched, shaking, was a bit bloated and looking miserable. Her temp is 101.7, poop normal, but she strained a bit to pee. She had kidded about 10 days ago)

I treated her with some probiotics, Vit. B complex, 1.5cc of Banamine and as an afterthought, some Calcium paste (which she flung all over).
I also doused her with baking soda and water. (They also have soda in their mineral feeder). Her stall mate was just given some probiotics-

I wonder if it is the abrupt weather change or is nursing two giant kids causing some problem? I don't know if antibiotics would do anything or not. I would sure hate to lose her!

What am I overlooking? (oh, she was wormed after kidding- eyelids nice and pink, too).

·
8,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hadn't thought about the cocci- brain was too tired last night! I'll give her Sulmet- that is all I have on hand right now. I've had good
luck with that in kids in the past.

·
Registered
31,519 Posts
sounds like enterotoxemia...I would treat with C D Antoxin...the probios is good to get theri rumen up and going...have you seen them chew a cud? heard any rumen function? if sheis not drinking enough water then peeing will be hard..I would not give feed at this time..add a bit of Apple Cider Vinegar to their water..

·
1,384 Posts
Penn G shots twice a day,
C&D antitoxin
baking soda
probiotics

I dont' think it is cocci, because she would probably have loose stools if it was
Same with worms, She would probably be anemic. Maybe a fecal sample if you are able to do that.
Although a good shot gun approach would be to reworm, treat for cocci and give an antibiotic.

·
8,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Penn G shots twice a day,
C&D antitoxin
baking soda
probiotics

I dont' think it is cocci, because she would probably have loose stools if it was
Same with worms, She would probably be anemic. Maybe a fecal sample if you are able to do that.
Although a good shot gun approach would be to reworm, treat for cocci and give an antibiotic.
Thanks for responses.
I have tried everything that I know- finally, found some ketone strips for urine- She is mildly ketonic- (is that a word?)

I gave her (Image) the Pen. procaine- 2x a day, vit. B Complex, Probiotics,
and Nutri-drench - 2 oz. this morning, will give more this eve.
I also did the propolene glycol- which she hated! Started the Sulmet and are on day 2-1/2 of that.

She did get the CD+T shot 26 days before kidding- is up to date on that. Her stall mate (Lilly) also has the same thing- so I am treating them both-

But, as I was writing this, I realized that maybe the rats are to blame. I don't dare put out rat poison, too many goat kids, dogs, etc. I discovered their holes in these goats' pen about 3 weeks ago and have been trying to trap, shoot and live trap them. So far, 3 have been caught. I can't move these goats, no where else to put them- Both are aggressive to everyone else. (Older Alpines- mother (Lilly and daughter, Image)

Doe #1- Lilly - the original sick one and the Mom to Doe #2- Image, is somewhat better.

·
8,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now the daughter is really sick- Image is just standing with her head in the corner- I have tried everything with both of them. I am continuing the
penicillan and Vit. B complex, Sulmet and Nutri- drench for the next few days, hopefully, something will work.

Now I am having to bottle feed Image's kids. She has no milk- They are 2 weeks old. The other goats (5) are donating milk and I am pasteurizing it for
the 2 doelings.

Everytime I start to think I am getting a handle on all this goat stuff, they throw another curve ball! After all the kiddings, kids, goats, etc. I was starting
to think that I had a little knowledge about most of the health problems. Nope! :rolleyes:

I am baffled, I guess I will have to call the only vet in the area that will deal with goats. She has a waiting list, but hopefully, she can fit me in!

·
Registered
31,519 Posts
Give CD Antitoxin...it really does sound like enterotoxemia but either way it wont hurt to have it....

when my Lamancha went down sick she completely dried up...began bottle feeding her doe...once we got her through the illness and back on her feet she was back up to top production

·
14,802 Posts
I'm so sorry, I totally understand.

Did I miss where you had a fecal done? If not, I would do a fecal. Are their eyelids pale?

I'm no pro, and having an issue with a young sick doe ourselves.

IMO it is probably best to get a vet to look at them, maybe pull a fecal sample and do some bloodwork?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts